onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Bolton Wanderers v Port Vale

Fosse69

Advert

11 minutes ago, TylerB said:

We could have had a few more too. It could been 6-10. But in my opinion you can be very happy with a win, and ecstatic to see your side score 6 (I didn't think we would ever be capable under Askey) but also be worried about our defending. At 6-1 up we shouldn't be conceding twice just through switching off. It's happening every week now. If we were going to score 4, 5 and 6 every week it wouldn't be such a concern, but obviously that's not going to be the case. If we continue to defend like that then we're going to lose a lot more games then we'll win.

You could equally argue if we continue to take our chances like we did today we will win more games than we lose.  It depends if you are glass half full or glass half empty I suppose.

7 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

You could equally argue if we continue to take our chances like we did today we will win more games than we lose.  It depends if you are glass half full or glass half empty I suppose.

We're not going to though. Today was a one off. We might have games where we play well and score two or three now and again, sure, but defend like that and how we have been doing and even that might not be enough to win games. It's got absolutely nothing to do about being positive or negative. Somehow we've gone from having arguably the best defence in the league to having one of the worst.

56 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

Tyler, you say they could have had 2 or 3 more.  How many more could we have had?  Nobody is ignoring that a couple of their goals came from sloppy defending but it doesn't take away from an outstanding team performance and should not be the only thing you concentrate on.  Smile for god's sake.

I agree, Jacko!

The real problem here is it is difficult to quell expectation. This club has been barren for a number of years. Is it wrong for people to expect and even demand success. Sometimes emotions get the better of us and sometimes we forget the players and the manager are just people earning a living. Nevertheless it is a results related sport where our league position overides our courtesy and views. I want John Askey to succeed i am sure everyone on this site feels the same. Ultimately we give our opinion in the hope our football club will be successful not to damage argue or disrespect. We are all in this together for the good of our football club whether negative or so called positive in our opinions.

Didn’t think we would score when i saw the line up, felt it was too negative without Clark or Monty and felt we’d get battered as without Pope in that line up we wouldn’t hold up the ball....

What do I know! Clinical, we’d shown signs against Orient second half and it wouldn’t drop for us but today we took chances and oddly I am disappointed it was only 6 with a few other great chances not taken or saved well.

Annoyed we got sloppy at 6-1 and their third goal was a bad one although rather it happened as it did than in a tight game where it would cost us.

Overall though great win and crucially it may bring confidence back and hopefully see us push on. After the way we’ve lost games recently it felt like good karma today and it’s nice to be buzzing again on a Saturday evening.

1 minute ago, vale@rocks said:

The real problem here is it is difficult to quell expectation. This club has been barren for a number of years. Is it wrong for people to expect and even demand success. Sometimes emotions get the better of us and sometimes we forget the players and the manager are just people earning a living. Nevertheless it is a results related sport where our league position overides our courtesy and views. I want John Askey to succeed i am sure everyone on this site feels the same. Ultimately we give our opinion in the hope our football club will be successful not to damage argue or disrespect. We are all in this together for the good of our football club whether negative or so called positive in our opinions.

I've said before on numerous occasions. As much as I've criticised Askey this season at times, and especially of late, I'd love nothing more than for us to win the next 6 games and for everyone to ridicule me here. I couldn't care less just as long as we were doing well. Whatever I or anyone thinks of Askey, he's a good bloke, gives it his best and gave us a bit of optimism going into this season.

Evatt consistently says stupid things in the heat of the moment in his post match interviews. It feels like the opposite of leadership.

For a club that has had a high turnover of players and needs to settle down, I'm not sure he's doing them many favours.

5 minutes ago, For Us All said:

Just watched Ian Evatt's post match interview.He said he'd never witnessed anything like that and it could have been fifteen.They are back in tomorrow.😲

Yes we could have scored more, but Fifteen is probably an exaggeration considering we only had 14  shots with 11 on target.

5 minutes ago, valefan16 said:

Didn’t think we would score when i saw the line up, felt it was too negative without Clark or Monty and felt we’d get battered as without Pope in that line up we wouldn’t hold up the ball....

What do I know! Clinical, we’d shown signs against Orient second half and it wouldn’t drop for us but today we took chances and oddly I am disappointed it was only 6 with a few other great chances not taken or saved well.

Annoyed we got sloppy at 6-1 and their third goal was a bad one although rather it happened as it did than in a tight game where it would cost us.

Overall though great win and crucially it may bring confidence back and hopefully see us push on. After the way we’ve lost games recently it felt like good karma today and it’s nice to be buzzing again on a Saturday evening.

Monty started.

Yes I think it is less than 2 years after having an awful team and nearly being liquidated.

We can hope that we have a successful season but to expect or demand it isn't fair in my opinion.

Archived