onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Bolton Wanderers v Port Vale

Fosse69

Advert

1 hour ago, werstayinup said:

Being honest here i dont mind us conceding 3 every game as long as we score 4+ it was a cracking game of attacking football,its been a long time coming,for goodness sake lets just enjoy it and not try to come up with negatives.

Those players played for Askey yesterday no doubt about it,i thought Monty had one of his best games for us especially when playing out wide,manny was the manny of old(and fit) and i have to say Rodders did a hell of a lot of work,yes he is raw,yes he makes mistakes but he isn't half as bad as some make out,more to come from him.

I wouldn't mind it either, but that's not going to happen. Call me negative, call me whatever you like. But it wouldn't surprise me one little bit if we draw a blank in our next league game. We are creating more chance of late than we were doing which is good to see, but were not always going to play a side like Bolton who's defense on the day was an absolute clusterfuck.

There's a lot to be positive about yesterday and it was a much needed 3 points that hopefully stops the rot. But there's no getting away from the fact that our defense is a liability currently and it's going to cost us points unless it quickly goes back to something like how it was before. As wonderful as it was to score 6, and we could have had 10, it's also concerning that Bolton could have easily had 5 or 6 themselves on another day. This is a side that before yesterday averaged just a goal a game.

Had a good (several dozen) view of the highlights and I have to say that, while Bolton fans wouldn’t necessarily agree, we scored some really good goals. 

The first was very patiently worked to give Monty space to deliver a wicked cross that Manny got a steal on the defender. The 2nd was again good intricate play with Manny again picking out Wozza is space to put one plum on Leon’s head. The third, whilst initially I thought was a soft peno, is on second glance a stonewaller, less of a should charge more basically just barging Rodney off the ball. The fourth was the pick, Rodney battling with 3/4 players - their manager won’t be happy with that one - but a beautiful ball to pick out Monty with an exquisite finish. The fifth, again not great from Bolton perspective, but shows the value of having runners supporting. The sixth, nice ball into the edge of the 6 yard box which they didn’t defend well.

For their first, we have about 4/5 people round the ball and still let the same guy get a 2nd shot off after Mills blocked the first. The second was just a long ball which Legge got beaten virtually on halfway leaving Doyle one on one with Smith, which he didn’t deal with that well backing off rather than shaping up. The third was calamitous because it started with Hurst running straight into their defender who launched a long ball which Legge and Mills made a mess of, leaving an overlap but a poor cross which Brown fumbled and the defence just stopped when the ball comes back in. Really bad goal and total loss of concentration.

So encouraging signs in attack, worrying signs at the back which I wouldn’t have anticipated saying at the start of the game.

1 hour ago, Nofinikea said:

Hardly a pub side though.  Just one division below us as it goes.  Have we never beaten sides in divisions above us?

Of course it wasn't a great result but isn't that the FA Cup for you?  That's why we love it isn't it?  When we go to a higher club and win its a great day.  Kings Lynn did to us what we have done to others.  

Some of you seem to have turned into Stormin Norman after the Exeter game, that ended well didn't it.

Colchester lost to Marine, part-timers 4 leagues below, will they be easy pickings?

1 hour ago, TylerB said:

I wouldn't mind it either, but that's not going to happen. Call me negative, call me whatever you like. But it wouldn't surprise me one little bit if we draw a blank in our next league game. We are creating more chance of late than we were doing which is good to see, but were not always going to play a side like Bolton who's defense on the day was an absolute clusterfuck.

There's a lot to be positive about yesterday and it was a much needed 3 points that hopefully stops the rot. But there's no getting away from the fact that our defense is a liability currently and it's going to cost us points unless it quickly goes back to something like how it was before. As wonderful as it was to score 6, and we could have had 10, it's also concerning that Bolton could have easily had 5 or 6 themselves on another day. This is a side that before yesterday averaged just a goal a game.

I have said before i dont mind debating with you,we dont agree on some things and some things we do agree,its posters like that 1995 numpty i cant be arsed with,they seem to be not posting after a good win....quite sad really that a so called fan(if they are) seem to be wanting vale to lose just to get rid of askey that is my problem with some on here

Great way to the end the losing streak. I really wasn't expecting us to score 6, but I was expecting us to concede 3. 

The first 10 minutes was arguably our best bits of football this season. We played some lovely stuff and deserved to be 2 in front. After the second, I was hoping we'd keep them out, but as we've seen so often this season, we struggle to prevent conceding goals. If it wasn't for poor finishing, Bolton could have easily have had 2 or 3. Rodney did superbly to get the penalty. It was stonewall penalty for me. Conlon's finish was excellent - no one stops them. 

The 4th goal was special. Great work by Rodders, and then an even better finish by Monty. The game was wrapped up after Worrall and Smith added to the tally. Unfortunately, Vale decided to switch off and Bolton got themselves two consolations. Poor defending by Vale yet again. 

All in all, you can't argue with an away win. To score 6 away from home is very impressive. Our attacking intent was fantastic. It was helped by a poor Bolton defence, but we did well to exploit that. We could have scored about 10. 

However, we conceded 3. Our defence still looks shaky. Bolton could have easily have had more than 3. The defence needs sorting out because we aren't going to be 6 every week. It seems as though we have found the solution in attack, but have somehow lost all defensive solidarity. We need to find that right balance quickly. 

I just really hope we can kick on from this now, and start climbing back up that table. Askey has certainly earned himself the chance to correct all the wrongs of November, so lets hope we can find ourselves in a healthy position by Christmas. 

1 hour ago, werstayinup said:

I have said before i dont mind debating with you,we dont agree on some things and some things we do agree,its posters like that 1995 numpty i cant be arsed with,they seem to be not posting after a good win....quite sad really that a so called fan(if they are) seem to be wanting vale to lose just to get rid of askey that is my problem with some on here

I can certainly say that I've never wanted Vale to lose. I may moan and groan a lot, I might give Askey a harder time than is justified to most people. But at the very least I'm more than happy to eat humble pie, so I'd love for Askey to make me look like a complete helmet. I just think we have a decent squad and shouldn't be losing 5 games on the bounce. Granted, we were rather unlucky in a couple of games and had we won those things would be looking considerably different. I expect us to make a right pigs ear of our next home game after the dizzy heights of yesterday, but I'm more than happy for us to win the game and then feel like a plank after for being so negative leading up to it.

Archived