I think the problem most people had with Bennett was that he wasn’t Pope. Tom has a lot of mates around the club and it puts pressure on anyone trying to do the same job as him. Whatever he tried to do, he ended up getting grumbled at and people wanted Pope brought on.

I’m not saying he was perfect but I’m sure the striker some people were expecting him to be would command several grand a week in the current market.

To give away a striker when you’re going for the play offs seems an odd decision. Are we sure Pope isn’t going to get another ban soon for that thing he said about the establishment jews?

• Like 2

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Richie Bennett was under contract for next season as well.  Perhaps Askey decided that if he didn't want him then, it was best to get rid now when we had a club interested rather than keep him until t

Anyway, back to Bennett. I think he was a hard trier, but he was playing at the max of his ability at League 2 level. Control not good enough and needed too many chances per goal. He should do well fo

Joined Stockport for an "undisclosed fee". Bit surprised, I know Cullen has got the goals recently, but he's been a pretty solid squad player this season. Good luck to him anyway. 

Posted Images

Good we’ve got a fee for him, but still surprised he’s been sold at this stage of the season.

He scored a few important goals for us and I wish him well, he probably just wants first team football and he was third in the pecking order, probably lower if we were to sign someone else next season.

I tend to agree with the other comments and I wish him well.

However, he probably wasn't quite good enough if we are aiming for a higher league and I suppose Askey (and the rest of us) saw enough of him by now to know his strengths (good left foot, energetic) and weaknesses (lacked physicality, struggled to hold up the ball).

It is a bit strange at this point in the season but I guess if it suits everyone and the player is keen then you should ideally consider what is in the best interests of everyone, player included.

Surprising though.

• Like 2

Thought his record of 7 goals in 20 + 10 apps was pretty decent. 

Unfortunately some fans think everyone who’s 6 ft + is going to play like Popey. Benno is a different kind of forward but an effective player in the right way.

Obviously with us only playing 1 up, makes sense to move him on if there is interest now and he wanted to go.

Always came across as a good bloke and good presence in dressing room.

Thank you Benno for your efforts.

• Like 2

I hope to goodness Pope's appeal against his FA charge has been successful. If he faces a lengthy ban we're down to two strikers. I always thought Richie Bennett was not as bad as some thought and had a bit of potential. Odd time to sell him in my opinion.

1 hour ago, darren1810 said:

The ' fee ' will be nominal . Forget Archer he couldn't get in Stockport team . Bennett was good enough for the squad, remember he kept Pope out for a good 10 games or more until the cup game at Cheltenham. FGR he was brilliant and also had one or two more decent games.

He wasn't a world beater but got unfair flack because of who he was deemed to of replaced. Massive call by Askey given Cullen record with injury and his papier mache body.

Thank you for your opinion, like I’ve said I like to hear others POV and don’t knock them. It was nothing to do with who he was replacing. His effort at closing down defenders was excellent but for me that was his whole game. I read the Carlisle fans website and what they questioned was his ability to be a league player and I had to agree with them, that he wasn’t. With his  physical attributes he should have been a twenty plus goal scorer a season and he was never going to be that. I feel sorry for all the PVFC fans that admired him and continually used to slate me for my opinion on him, reminding me that he was our top scorer.

I think Jacko has hit the nail on the head, he's got a two year deal, probably good enough for the squad and is 28 so we aren't talking about a player who has potential. Maybe Askey thinks he's made a mistake giving him two years and would have released, this makes this decision an easy one.

I quiet liked Ritchie and wish him well, but he would have been 30 by time his contract ended.

I didn't mind him. But he's nowhere near good enough for a side wanting out of League Two. But surely waiting until the end of the season to let him go would have made more sense unless we got a decent bit of money for him which I don't assume would be the case?

He seemed to be a decent bloke and did score a few goals here and there for us so good luck to the fella.

Edited by TylerB

19 minutes ago, Walka003 said:

I think Jacko has hit the nail on the head, he's got a two year deal, probably good enough for the squad and is 28 so we aren't talking about a player who has potential. Maybe Askey thinks he's made a mistake giving him two years and would have released, this makes this decision an easy one.

I quiet liked Ritchie and wish him well, but he would have been 30 by time his contract ended.

But Pope is nearly 36 when his contract expires ? 

As an aside, good to see Stockport challenging for the play offs (just outside on GD).

Need more proper clubs like Stockport County, Hartlepool and Notts County in league and less of the likes of Salford and Stevenage.

• Like 2

Initial reaction; confused due to the timing.

Dig a bit deeper, and it probably makes sense.

Stockport have obviously decided to go for it and needed a Mancunian, proven at National League level, to be willing to up sticks mid-season, drop a division, and fire them over the line. They were willing to pay a fee to secure this. This is helped by the Gannon-Bennett connection.

From the Vale's perspective, you had a third-choice striker, never going to be good enough to be a consistent starter, who is 29, and had another year on his contract. To be offered a fee for him, after signing him on a free, and to offload his wages for next season is an opportunity we wouldn't receive again; the fee-paying is probably a result of County's desperation to get in the playoffs, and we've taken advantage of it.

Obviously a big chance for Archer, who didn't impress in his loan spell, to get some minutes under his belt; its undoubted he's got some modicum of ability, but is it enough?

In terms of Richie; I've never had any issues with him. He's worked hard, appears to be a good character, and his performance vs FGR kick-started the season and his brace vs Exeter set us off on this good run which has us grasping at the playoffs. Should we end up securing top 7, Richie definitely had a decent part to play in it. A goal every 295 minutes isn't great, but not atrocious either. Hope he does well.

Really hope this doesn't backfire; Pope could get banned any day, Cullen struggled with injuries at the start of the season, Archer is a real unknown. If Pope/Cullen see us through, its a good bit of business, but there is definitely risk involved. Trust Askey and Carol to get it right, though.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Woakesy said:

As an aside, good to see Stockport challenging for the play offs (just outside on GD).

Need more proper clubs like Stockport County, Hartlepool and Notts County in league and less of the likes of Salford and Stevenage.

Stockport are 5 points adrift of the playoff places and have played a game more.