onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread - Port Vale v Crewe Alexandra

Fosse69

Advert

I totally disagree with the comments about Conlon. I think he was one of the star players yesterday. He covers a lot of ground, he’s not afraid to put his foot in and can play a pass plus his free kicks are the best we’ve got. A quality player who alongside Oyeleke and Joyce has created a formidable midfield which is set up beautifully for the new pressing game Arthur wants.

Such a satisfying win and well deserved, Vale played some great stuff. Vale probably got the benefit of doubt when Smith blocked the ball on the line but a great strike by Pope for the winner.

The spirit is there in the team, it was epitomized when Morrall was 1-1 on goal (Their goalkeeper took up a fantastic position virtually forcing Worral to go through his legs) but Worral's reaction when he fell to his knees at the corner flag said everything about the spirit and determination in the lads. Well done John Askey and Dave Kevan and long may it continue.

I'm loathe to criticise anybody after our recent run and ' that ' wonder goal v Yeovil. But Sam Kelly only scored worldies.

My own belief and i'm sorry to be negative after our superb run. Conlon is nowhere near good enough.

He was blown on by a Tranmere player, fell over, 10 seconds later bang , Norwood 2-0.

Yesterday and i'm sure others saw it by the Bycars/Paddock corner flag he was outfought by that 3 foot pygmy who came on for them.

He is physically weak and as a squad player maybe okay but we can all get carried away. Half of these players were the worst in our history 6 weeks ago now people are saying we can challenge next season.

The defence and keeper is excellent, we are at least 2 quality midfield players and a striker shy .

Like i say apologies i'm not negative, just trying to be balanced.

He needs to learn not to take so many touches. There were times yesterday that he should have realised the ball but he another touch or two and go into trouble.

I like his tenacity and I'm sure Askey will improve him.

It was a fully deserved win against the poorest Crewe team I've seen for a while.

And while I'm not getting carried away for one minute I think this high intensity pressing game is very effective as most lads at this level can't cope when pressed and harried. It's damned hard work, mind.

I thought a number of them were not up to it under Aspin, including Worrall, Joyce and Conlon, yet now they have shown themselves to be worthy of places in the squad. The worry is we might lose the loan players, not keep the out of contract ones we want, and of course the older pros like Pope and Legge and Kay will all be a year older and a bit slower.

That said, I'd be happy to see some new players that Askey thinks would suit his style and improve us.

We do badly need another couple of strikers. I'm not fully sold on Miller - sorry - but I'm not saying we should let him go.

But we do need a couple of midfielders who can score goals.

I'm really happy with Askey at the moment. I felt sure we'd go down in January and I could not see where another win would come from. To get us to where we are has been a super achievement and given us all something to cling on to next year.

Could things finally be looking up?

It was a fully deserved win against the poorest Crewe team I've seen for a while.

And while I'm not getting carried away for one minute I think this high intensity pressing game is very effective as most lads at this level can't cope when pressed and harried. It's damned hard work, mind.

I thought a number of them were not up to it under Aspin, including Worrall, Joyce and Conlon, yet now they have shown themselves to be worthy of places in the squad. The worry is we might lose the loan players, not keep the out of contract ones we want, and of course the older pros like Pope and Legge and Kay will all be a year older and a bit slower.

That said, I'd be happy to see some new players that Askey thinks would suit his style and improve us.

We do badly need another couple of strikers. I'm not fully sold on Miller - sorry - but I'm not saying we should let him go.

But we do need a couple of midfielders who can score goals.

I'm really happy with Askey at the moment. I felt sure we'd go down in January and I could not see where another win would come from. To get us to where we are has been a super achievement and given us all something to cling on to next year.

Could things finally be looking up?

I thought yesterday was one of Miller's best all round games for us. He lead the line, held the ball up superbly for a man his size, and was unusually decent in distribution. This follows on from his excellent dummy last week for Worrall's goal.

I don't think he's ever going to be a 20 goal a season professional striker but he's a hard-working nuisance who caused a lot of problems as a lone striker, and as Pope said half-jokingly on twitter post game, makes his life a lot easier when he's introduced around 65-70.

If we have aspirations to get out of this league in the near future Miller isn't going to be our main forward, but as a rotational player who offers something completely different, and has that spark that can light up a fixture, I'd give him another year. A bit like Ben Williamson in the promotion year; poor decision maker who was used sparingly but caused havoc with his running and pace, and bagged 8/9 goals. Pope, another proven striker, and Miller aren't bad options imo.

The issue with Miller is playing with two wingers and him as your line striker is he isn’t aerially powerful, this system is set up more for Pope as a big striker to get on the end of crosses and hold up play, down side of that is Pope can’t high press as much and that’s where Miller is better. So it’s a play off really on those factors. Against FGR we were crossing in and no one was there capable of heading a ball against two hairy arsed 6’3 centre halves.

It may work better the other way round in starting Pope to try and get a lead then Miller to harass teams into errors when more open and trying to get back in a game...

That said the psychological blow that must have been to the Crewe side to see Pope coming off the bench can’t be under estimated as he is the player our opponents fear the most. Simple as that.

Crewe fans were excited by their sides upturn and that’s stalled whilst we’ve hit our peak form a bit later than them so no guarantees we would sustain it had it started sooner but there is a good team in there. I don’t think we are a poor side and certainly not the 18th best side in the division but we’ve been a poorly managed side until recently and this is showing that. Aspin was down to playing the likes of Elliott over Worrall and interesting to see Rawlinson no longer in the squad. Not sure if injured and he wasn’t a bad player but Askey seems to have the formula. What pleased me most is we kept it up despite the loss of Joyce who’s been key lately and then Manny who I feared would lose us the game once he went off. That midfield three seemed critical but was shown to have adequate cover currently to keep up the tempo and pressing.

I apologise to Kay for being so negative about his selection! Hannant did alright in the middle role too.

Seem safe now so hopefully we can get a couple more wins and give some real hope going into the summer aided all being well by the sale of the club. We deserve some stability surely! It was refreshing yesterday to feel the circus of late wasn’t at the forefront and it seemed just about the football again.

He needs to learn not to take so many touches. There were times yesterday that he should have realised the ball but he another touch or two and go into trouble.

I like his tenacity and I'm sure Askey will improve him.

Conlon is a good ball player and can tackle.

He is better when he has someone like Manny to play with who can link up with him.

Ian Bogie couldnt tackle but was an excellent ball player.

The other thing is now Worrall is back in the team he has another outlet.

If Manny can stay fit the midfield is good and I would like to see Whitfield given a chance to run at them later in the game.

Miller and Pope together up front could develop into a good system especially at home.Smith and Howkins at the back were brilliant.

Conlon is a good ball player and can tackle.

He is better when he has someone like Manny to play with who can link up with him.

Ian Bogie couldnt tackle but was an excellent ball player.

The other thing is now Worrall is back in the team he has another outlet.

If Manny can stay fit the midfield is good and I would like to see Whitfield given a chance to run at them later in the game.

Miller and Pope together up front could develop into a good system especially at home.Smith and Howkins at the back were brilliant.

Agree, do think conlon is lightweight and performs far better when he doesn't have to do the dirty work,,think his control and movement is excellent and has improved massively which is what you expect from a young player -its a shame we had to rely on so many but they seemed to have matured some way to go yet but I would certainly keep him and work on his strength

There are many possible permutations for Miller and Pope, including playing both.

It is their total contrast that is the big strength.

We can adapt and change things, keeping the opposition guessing.

Success on the pitch requires the ability to change things around and tactical fluidity.

Archived