onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread - Port Vale v Crewe Alexandra

Fosse69

The energy in the team now with Woz, Miller, Monty, Conlon, Hannant, Clark and Crooks closing opponents down quickly and fast breaks when we win the ball back is a joy to watch and a credit to JA. 15-20 attempts at goal per match is now the norm. Well done John and keep up the good work!

Advert

I forgot to add Manny to that list.

Smudge, Howkins and Kay were also superb in blotting out any threat from Crwho and leaving Brown with practically nothing to do. Apart from the save from that free kick, he could have sat and read a book today!

Of course, the living legend provided the quality clinical finish and bagged us all three points to almost guarantee L2 next season.

A great day, a great night and a sore head this morning. UTV.

In all of the excitement folks have forgot how poor the officials were. The ref constantly allowed foul after foul on our lads but gave everything he could to the Railway children.

As Askey said last week the standard of the refs at our level simply isn't good enough!

As a side issue did anyone else notice that "Smurthwaite's tune" was NOT played yesterday as the players ran onto the pitch? Sign that he's vacated the premises? Yesterday was a good day for Valiants.

I'm really pleased that 'tune' has gone. Someone from on high above the main body of Lorne Street shouted something at the crowd before the game which none of us could pick up properly but it was abusive and clearly directed at all the supporters. There was speculation that it might have been Smurf.

Well done Vale a thoroughly deserved 3 points .

A very very good team performance with Hoswkins very commanding at the back along with Smith whos vital block when at 0-0 turned out be significant .

Losing Joyce before the game worried me but having seen how Kay did especially after Oyeleke went off injured well he played very well along with Hannant who slotted into the role well .

Worralls energy was i feel the energy what won us the game hewassuperb in workrate,application and desire .

Montano was also very good he beat about three of there playersand there goalie made a fantastic save from him .

He also made a very good save from someone in first half to but with watching it on a stream as i was in Lee on Solent i couldnt quite catch who it wasmaybe Montano again .

Smith had one of the line and how we didnt make it 2 i will never know after another fine piece of workby Worrall bar the finish from him and Popey .

As for the goal it was a excellently taken goal from Popey and no more than what we deserved .

So pleased for the Vale fans who were at the game .

We certainly are good to watch these days .

Well gone John Askey and thanks to all the players whos recent displays have been very good

UTV

Another 3 points and now definitely heading for my predicted target of 52/53 points. Also a little shot across the bows of the "Pope out brigade" just shows how important Tom is to the club! Well done the lads and here's to Tom's 150 Port vale goals!!

Another 3 points and now definitely heading for my predicted target of 52/53 points. Also a little shot across the bows of the "Pope out brigade" just shows how important Tom is to the club! Well done the lads and here's to Tom's 150 Port vale goals!!

I think I would classify myself as a critic of Pope ball as opposed to Pope the player. Earlier in the season that was a differentiation harder to draw when our attacking play consisted of only that.

What a great day the win the performance the atmosphere it the only thing it lacked was more goals but every single players was brilliant Worrall and Smith were outstanding. Howkins was solid and we need to get him permanently, Miller is a different player. Our back 4 for how young they are is fantastic and hopefully we can get them all back next season.

I'd like to take you back in time to 30th December 2017.

Vale wiped the floor with Luton.

Aspos record, discounting the Grimsby defeat, was P13 W8 D2 L3 20-14 26pts.

Askew has 2 points a game in the last 7, including 4 wins, but his start means he cannot equal Aspos start.

So, I'm loving the feel good factor that is currently around, but this memory is sobering.

I'm hoping that Askew has the tactical ingenuity to adapt as required.

I also remember saying that watching Vale was like watching Brazil.

August 2016. Manager, Bruno Ribeiro.

Other managers quickly sussed him out and that was that.

I remember saying Aspo has managed over 600 games, so must know his stuff.

And so it goes on...

My hope is that this is the beginning of a settled phase in the club's history, with new owners, the same manager and steady, sustainable progress.

I'd like to take you back in time to 30th December 2017.

Vale wiped the floor with Luton.

Aspos record, discounting the Grimsby defeat, was P13 W8 D2 L3 20-14 26pts.

Askew has 2 points a game in the last 7, including 4 wins, but his start means he cannot equal Aspos start.

So, I'm loving the feel good factor that is currently around, but this memory is sobering.

Good point, I wouldn't criticise Aspin as this period showed he could play attacking football ,, we don't know what his directive was from above with signings not his etc .

The signings Aspin alluded to as his in an after match interview were manny,hannant,brown,legge, (not sure maybe conlon) have in the main become starters, Worrall who knows what was going on, easy to blame aspin same as legge not playing..aspin kept us up last year against the odds but I think in the end it wore him down trying to be competitive on the pitch deal with NS and his directives plus trying to keep an happy camp in impossible circumstances

Think if NS goes , Askey has shown he has it(excluding his first 4 games), albeit with something to prove on a short term contract, hopefully with a stable/calm off field environment he should be the man to lead us forward and hopefully flourish, he has more than earned it and yesterday was as good as performance as can be remembered in all these lean years,

Credit to Askey the backroom staff and the players all working together no me or I just us along woith the fans--brilliant (can we see the light at then end of the tunnel)

How many times in the past have teams brought on an old head substitute to turn a game? Saving his legs and the battering, and running against a tired defence could give Popey a longer career and Vale valuable points.

I don't think he's the sort to score or assist, he plays a bit deeper than that.

He does tend to fade around the 70th minute but he probably covers every blade of grass prior to that. He has become crucial in sweeping up dangerous balls in front of the back 4 and then starting attacks. Just really like him.

Fair comment. But he's not a defensive midfielder and isn't particularly good at tackling or winning the ball either. He does have some ability and if he can add a few assists or goals to his game from midfield then it will make a world of difference.

Looking towards next season, and I know there's a lot in the balance at the moment. But I'd be quite happy with a back 5 that started the game yesterday in Brown, Crooks, Howkins, Smith and Clark. Conceding goals hasn't been a problem for us this season, and without checking, I believe we have the 6th or 7th best defensive record in the league. That takes some doing for a team that's been flirting with relegation. In midfield we're suddenly looking better with the return to form of Worrall. Aspin almost destroyed him but he's been given a new lease of life under Askey and needs to be one of the first names on the team sheet next season. I like Oyeleke but my God is the lad injury hit, and he can't be relied upon.

I said months ago that if you add a decent, pacey wide player to our team along with another capable forward, then under a manager that isn't absolutely clueless we would be challenging for the play-offs. I completely stand by that comment.

Archived