onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread - Port Vale v Tranmere

paulvaliant

Advert

The big problem we've had for the past 2-3 years and not just this season is a chronic lack of creativity and goal threat from midfield.

None of the 4-5 lads who play in "midfield" are very creative and they score very few goals. The wing backs - Gibbons and Clark - won't score goals in a month of Sundays and their final balls are very poor. The central midfielders hardly ever run past Pope and both play too deep.

Most of them haven't got a creative bone in their body. No dribbling skills. No flair. Zilch.

We could have Foyle and Naylor up top but they wouldn't score many because the service to them is atrocious.

We badly need wingers who can get to the byline and get the ball across, midfield players who can burst into the box and shoot powerfully, and at least someone who can thread a ball through and see a pass. We don't get behind defences and turn them enough.

Generally I would not hammer the strikers as they get very few clear cut chances and live off scraps.

You read my post from pre-season !!!

I remember saying our whole team , without Pope and Miller , would not score 20 goals between them in a full season.

It is the worst balanced squad I have seen for many years, if not the worst. There are no creative, attacking, quality players within our midfield, full backs, wide men at all

For us to do well pope and Miller [ or a second striker ] would need to score 35 to 40 goals for a promotion push.

How wrong was I. Our strikers will not hit 20 and we look doomed because of it.

All this after Aspin said himself he was after a team to score 60+ goals

this season

Aspin gambled on Brown Legge Joyce Miller.

Joyce and Miller failed completely

No I have consistently said the owners major failing is his appointment if inexperienced managers at this level. Askey is just proving himself to be what I and others thought' date=' his team selections despite previously watching us are bordering on suicidal, surely he can’t carry on tonight, especially with Kay et al.[/quote']

REP , you don’t have to be right all the time. That ball did run out of play before he crossed it , but you didn’t have a good angle . That’s ok, as nothing came of it. With the good chances they’ve been getting , as many as 4 a game in the last two, I’d like to think that Vale could win 3-1 tonight. Stranger things have happened, James. As for Smurthwaite, hell isn’t full yet. Enjoy the match , as they say in the programme notes.

Askey has spoken out on the Legge issue' date=' he won’t confirm any contract details but does confirm no clause would ever stop him picking a player. So yes Askey is that daft [/quote']

Funny that Aspin said exactly the same thing. So they have either both been gagged by Smurthwaite or are both compulsive liars. I know which one I think.

If we lose tonight then the fat lady will be clearing her throat, we wont beat Crewe or Macc we wont beat an improving Notts County on Saturday we never beat Swindon and we wont beat Bury.

I know its all if's and buts, but there is zero goals in the side and obviously thats what wins matches,we need at the very least 5 wins and we have only won 8 all season,I hope and pray someone comes back and rubs my nose in this post at the end of the season.

We definitely won’t beat Notts County, given we are playing Cheltenham.

Funny that Aspin said exactly the same thing. So they have either both been gagged by Smurthwaite or are both compulsive liars. I know which one I think.

The latest one I've read is, that we have to pay Cambridge an amount after his 25th appearance. How can that be, as he was released by Cambridge and we signed his as a free agent? Never heard of that one before...

The latest one I've read is, that we have to pay Cambridge an amount after his 25th appearance. How can that be, as he was released by Cambridge and we signed his as a free agent? Never heard of that one before...

Cant be that...

What it could be although I dont know either way... Legge had a bad injury last season that kept him out a while so we may have put the 25 game clause in so he had this year to show he was fit to earn the second year especially as he is in his mid 30s.

Cant be that...

What it could be although I dont know either way... Legge had a bad injury last season that kept him out a while so we may have put the 25 game clause in so he had this year to show he was fit to earn the second year especially as he is in his mid 30s.

And he’s been one of our best and most stable performing players all season.

Yet, first Aspin and now Askey, sticks him on the bench.

If it looks like a rat and smells like a rat, it’s a rat!

Complete rubbish! They released him first before we signed him.

I wouldn't actually drop Kay. You need an anchor in the midfield and he is the best of a bad bunch at that as long as he has legs around him. He also gets the odd goal.

Funny that playing on your words I would tie a metaphorical anchor round him and drop him as deep as I could!

Seriously what does he offer other than pointing and losing possession?

Archived