Match Thread - Port Vale v Tranmere

paulvaliant

Advert

For what it's worth I'd go

Brown

Gibbons Howkins Smith Montano

Whitfield Manny Kay Hannant

Harris Pope

No Miller for me I just dont trust the bloke. Cost us last time he played with that stupid sending off, the lads to much of a liability to start I'm afraid. Harris did ok for me yesterday he put Hannant through for the Peno and he set up Hannant for his shot early in the 2nd half that I think clipped the post. He dropped deep a few times and picked up some space so I'd start with him again. Howkins has to come in for Rawlinson, or Legge if hes allowed to play. Clarke's way off the pace at the moment. Thought Crookes was poor aswell. Whitfield and Manny to come in if he's fit if not Conlon instead. A change of personal and formation at home has to happen if we want to score a goal let alone win a match!

I think Harris isn’t a bad player at all but it’s a tough gig for a young player like him to come in and be expected to do something. I think he has some decent movement and in a side with more width he’d find channels and pockets of space to work.

The big problem we've had for the past 2-3 years and not just this season is a chronic lack of creativity and goal threat from midfield.

None of the 4-5 lads who play in "midfield" are very creative and they score very few goals. The wing backs - Gibbons and Clark - won't score goals in a month of Sundays and their final balls are very poor. The central midfielders hardly ever run past Pope and both play too deep.

Most of them haven't got a creative bone in their body. No dribbling skills. No flair. Zilch.

We could have Foyle and Naylor up top but they wouldn't score many because the service to them is atrocious.

We badly need wingers who can get to the byline and get the ball across, midfield players who can burst into the box and shoot powerfully, and at least someone who can thread a ball through and see a pass. We don't get behind defences and turn them enough.

Generally I would not hammer the strikers as they get very few clear cut chances and live off scraps.

So you’re hammering 2 young relatively inexperienced players that have come through academies, (primarily as defenders), and are now being relied upon to provide the creativity in a side that’s unbalanced because we have no creativity in midfield or up front? Is that their fault? I think they’re making a decent fist of it given the circumstances the club finds itself in due to the shocking squad building and transfers policy we’ve had over recent times. I’d be more worried about the reasons why Gibbons was arguably the best player on the pitch when sitting on the bench were Whitfield Monty and Worrall, those players not performing are the reasons why we have ended up with Clark and Gibbons in the roles they are. I think you’re hammering the wrong people.

The big problem we've had for the past 2-3 years and not just this season is a chronic lack of creativity and goal threat from midfield.

None of the 4-5 lads who play in "midfield" are very creative and they score very few goals. The wing backs - Gibbons and Clark - won't score goals in a month of Sundays and their final balls are very poor. The central midfielders hardly ever run past Pope and both play too deep.

Most of them haven't got a creative bone in their body. No dribbling skills. No flair. Zilch.

We could have Foyle and Naylor up top but they wouldn't score many because the service to them is atrocious.

We badly need wingers who can get to the byline and get the ball across, midfield players who can burst into the box and shoot powerfully, and at least someone who can thread a ball through and see a pass. We don't get behind defences and turn them enough.

Generally I would not hammer the strikers as they get very few clear cut chances and live off scraps.

Have a look at the reaction a player gets if they don't try to find Pope everytime they get over the half way line, and I think you'll find the answer to your question about creativity. Other players don't shoot because they know they will get a barrage of abuse from Tom Pope if the dare try anything other than giving him the ball. Massive contributing factor to our on field issues this season.

No surprise that our last win came when Pope was out injured.

Howkins has to play on Tuesday. Nathan Smith has, in my opinion, been made to look a poor centre half in a poor team for near on 3 seasons now. Presence and Power at the back with Howkins and Legge, jettison Rawlinson, the worst centre half I've seen up here in donkeys, along with Hannant, who has not performed for me since well before Christmas 4-3-3: Brown: Gibbons Howkins Legge Crookes: Oyeleke (if fit, if not Conlon) Kay Worrall: Montano Pope Whitfield

Archived