onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread - Port Vale v Oldham Athletic

Fosse69

Advert

I can fully see why Aspo wants three central defenders at the back as Clarke and Gibbo are too small and poor in the air. Three CBs and those two as wing backs doesn't work as the CBs have no pace.

Issues with our team:

-CBs are awful at passing/finding our midfield and simply hoof it aimlessly away.

-serious lack of pace from the majority of our team.

-only Popey is reliable in front of goal.

- We create hardly any chances for Pope.

Issue with the manager:

- he is far too negative in the formation and players he selects.

- he gives far too much respect to other teams and has us sitting far too deep for long periods of each game.

On the bright side:

- We have Pope (the best player in L2) on a long contract.

-Brown has been superb, player of the season front runner at the half way point.

-Hannant is becoming a consistent 7/10 performer.

-Manny has impressed in most of the games he has played.

Biggest disappointments:

-Miller

-Joyce

Agree with most of this accept the center backs hoofing. Reason we hoof is 1 cause the have clearly been told to and 2 there is absolutely nothing infront of them. Midfield is a shambles. Players in there clearly lacking fitness and confidence which equals hit potato if they receive the ball

Aspin won’t change his mentality regarding being defensive and sitting back hoping we don’t concede.

Then praying for a goal.Its like Groundhog Day every week with the same players playing in the same positions expecting a different result.

I can’t understand why he doesn’t accept criticism if we lose its due to his poor selection and dire tactics.

We have better players than last season but he can’t motivate them or choose a winning team.

Would you trust him with 400k in January because I wouldn’t.

My team would be:

Brown

Gibbons Legge Rawlinson Clarke

Oyeleke Kay Conlon

Hannant Pope Whitfield

4-3-3. Kay sitting which gives Oyeleke and Conlon licence to get forward and support the front 3. Attacking full backs to push on and get crosses into the box. Oldham conceded 6 last week so a fast intense, start is needed to further compound their misery.

It will be the exact opposite to this however.

My team would be:

Brown

Gibbons Legge Rawlinson Clarke

Oyeleke Kay Conlon

Hannant Pope Whitfield

4-3-3. Kay sitting which gives Oyeleke and Conlon licence to get forward and support the front 3. Attacking full backs to push on and get crosses into the box. Oldham conceded 6 last week so a fast intense, start is needed to further compound their misery.

It will be the exact opposite to this however.

Not sure how it will be the exact opposite. 7 are guaranteed starters and Rawlinson is probably still injured. Gibbons is unlikely to start but isn't as good when playing as people think when not selected. Aspin's comments midweek make Whitfield a likely starter. My guess he will go:

Brown

Clark Smith Legg Montano

Hannatt Oyeleke Kay Conlon

Pope Whitfield

I'd give Quigley another go and not play Kay as I don't think he's been that bad over the last 3 games. Not 100% sure if he'll play 433 or 442.

Personally I wouldn't have Conlon anywhere near my team. He's been a passenger for weeks. Nor Quigley.

Conversely, Smith has been solid and should keep his place today.

I'd fit Dodds into my team somehow because at least he can see a pass, shoot accurately and link up well with Pope. He hasn't pulled up any trees but neither have any of the other midfielders, Manny included, of late. He has played too deep and often wide right to accommodate the static Kay but he's got to put himself about more and drive us forward.

I agree about the need for pace and "wingers" so I'd certainly have Whitfield, Worrall and even Kanu in my squad.

Hopefully the lightweight, injury prone, erratic Montano can get a game too - on the left somewhere but not up top. Let's hope he doesn't go offside ten times like he did at Macclesfield.

It is the midfield that remains the BIG problem. There is little movement and hardly anyone finds space. They struggle to get up and down the pitch for 90 minutes. No-one runs past Pope. Their passing and final ball is appalling (Hannant included). That's where most of our problems lie.

Fingers crossed for later but please let's have a go today, get more pace in the team and try and get forward more as a unit instead of hanging back and waiting for something to happen.

With two hard away games to come we really need the points today or in a week's time we'll be looking at the bottom end of the table with some alarm.

Come on now Aspo. Pick a team to go at Oldham from the start to the end and start entertaining us and getting some decent home wins.

See Aspin and Co see this as "Pick a team to not let Oldham score and be as defensive as I can. 10 players in our half and 1 up top". Sorted - we wont loose by too many goals. Job safe. I can then blame the fans for getting at me and the team and shift the blame to them for hounding the players and staff - what do they know about football anyway. They should pay to watch the a boring game - oh they do - oh well".

Not sure how it will be the exact opposite. 7 are guaranteed starters and Rawlinson is probably still injured. Gibbons is unlikely to start but isn't as good when playing as people think when not selected. Aspin's comments midweek make Whitfield a likely starter. My guess he will go:

Brown

Clark Smith Legg Montano

Hannatt Oyeleke Kay Conlon

Pope Whitfield

I'd give Quigley another go and not play Kay as I don't think he's been that bad over the last 3 games. Not 100% sure if he'll play 433 or 442.

It will be the exact opposite as Aspin won't let the full backs cross half way, Pope will be isolated and the midfield will all be sat on the edge of our box.

Give me some excitement today! We know we concede in every game so lets try and score some goals!

Archived