onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Matchday Thread: Leeds U v Port Vale

Fosse69

Tom pope looked unfit and over weight

No pace in the side.

I think thats just how Pope is, he looks ungainly and bow legged. Hes one of those players whos lack of mobility you have to take account of and work around IMO.

One of the big things about Leeds I ntoiced is how pacey a lot of their players looked and how quickly they moved the ball. That quick turn of pace, quick movement and sharp passing makes a huge difference.

Advert

I think thats just how Pope is, he looks ungainly and bow legged. Hes one of those players whos lack of mobility you have to take account of and work around IMO.

One of the big things about Leeds I ntoiced is how pacey a lot of their players looked and how quickly they moved the ball. That quick turn of pace, quick movement and sharp passing makes a huge difference.

Exactly, a Stoke fan (who is most likely rooting for Leeds anyway) will be used to watching the PL which is a crazy speed, & Leeds won't be far off that either, so comparing Vale is pointless. Obviously a L2 side is incredibly slow in comparison to top flight stuff, I very much doubt he watches much League 2 football so has no idea of our ability in the league.

Must admit on the occasions I've seen Tom he's no athlete but his strengths outweigh his limits at this level but those limits have probably also prevented him from playing at a much higher level. Plenty at this level (and higher) who mask a lack of skill and other abilities thru being good athletes. Play to his strengths and he'll do a job.

Tom Pope is a footballer who is an athlete as opposed to someone like JJ Hooper/Theo Robinson who are athletes who happen to be footballer, give me the former any, any time.

Come on guys, last Saturday Tom Pope ran his socks off for Vale and received a right battering for his efforts with absolutely no justice from the referee. He's probably not the quickest these days but his skills, leadership and sheer presence on the pitch will be worth two or even three men compared to the likes of Cicilia or JJ.

As an aside, when you get a footballer who's also an athlete you get a Didier Drogba, a very rare and special player.

Just read the Leeds statement saying that their player Saiz "denies' spitting in Davies' face. And there was me expecting him to admit it ! I sometimes wonder why clubs put out these ridiculous statements. Also it should be noted, that this statement was released AFTER media reported that the incident was not on caught on camera. Now isn't that a coincidence. Seems the "Revie" era is alive and kicking at Elland Road, long after his own personal demise.

Sent from my GT-I9195I using the onevalefan mobile app

Win on Saturday against a team who were up in the top 7 for most of last season and that will shut anyone up complaining about the result last night.

I wish it were true, but it won't! The usual mob will say how poor Wycombe were, how poor we were, how we were lucky to beat them and so on. I just hope none of the usual suspects work for the Samaritans....

Gunning's first yellow card was harsh, hardly a forceful challenge. As for the second, not the best challenge by Gunning but I don't like to see showboating of any kind in any sport, OK he did go through on the showboating player but he hardly touched him, more of a case of a player feigning hurt by rolling around, harsh booking.

Gunning's first yellow card was harsh, hardly a forceful challenge. As for the second, not the best challenge by Gunning but I don't like to see showboating of any kind in any sport, OK he did go through on the showboating player but he hardly touched him, more of a case of a player feigning hurt by rolling around, harsh booking.

Gunning is a red card waiting to happen. As it turns out, we had to wait less than 180 minutes.

Sent from my GT-I9195I using the onevalefan mobile app

To be fair to Gunning he's a centre half really, doing a fill-in job at left back. Hence, we signed Denton the other day.

Most, no all, centre backs would end up with a load of bookings if they played left back. McCombe? McDonald? Purse? It's only a matter of time.

In some ways he did what we'd all do if we were 1-4 down and someone was taking the ****. I would. But their lad made a banquet of it and the ref maybe could have warned him sternly as the game had gone by then. But their lad's show-boating isn't great to see in professional football and he's lucky it wasn't Bob Hazell marking him!

For some historical perspective on this... we lost 3-1 to Ipswich Town in the League Cup back in 1988/89. Nobody was surprised as they were a decent team - and so were Vale, but they were better.

Last night it appears the same thing happened. A leading Championship team put 4 past a L2 team. So what? No need to get so down hearted. Saturday is more important.

Was that the match in the fog?

Watched the game last night, positives:

Played some neat short passing in tight situations

Forrester lead the line very well

Kay looked very assured

Tongue getting another goal!

Negatives:

Bereft of ideas in the final 3rd and I put that down to playing 1 up top

Defenders panicked too much and gave the ball away very easily - lacking confidence to take a touch

We did not close down quick enough when Leeds came across the half way line - the whole team were way to sluggish, this improved in the 1st 10 mins of the 2nd half but we were flat on our feet - the side does not look fit enough!

Caught on the break, this was the same last season, we don't have enough willing runners in the middle of the park and we do lack defensive discipline

Our central midfield pairing were far too lazy, they were walked through most of the night (I can understand the final Leeds Mgt comments, we gave away many cynical fouls - largely due to fitness and can't be arsed attitude to tracking runners.

I have to say on the balance, we are far too negative as a side and will get truely punished this season if the WHOLE team does not up it game in terms of work rate without the ball and our lack of runners with the ball.

We'll be no where near the top 6 with the attitude that was on display last night.

You can talk about Leeds being a good team, but it does not take away the fact that we had many too many 'lazy' performances. Hardwork costs nothing, other than the odd deep breath!

Archived