onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Matchday Thread: Leeds U v Port Vale

Fosse69

The guy who scored (should of been sent off) cost what double our budget this season? Perspective is needed on that and thankfully most have it.

Had it been at Vale Park then yeah maybe we could of caused an upset like we did against Burnley for example but Away it was always going to be a monster ask and I'm pleased we made a go of it. Saturday is more important and I think Browny shown that with his selection.

I believe 19 of the 22 Championship sides in it progressed with Derby to replay and Sunderland tonight and only Accrington causing a shock. Money talks and sadly the gap between the second tier and ourselves is getting bigger because of that.

Advert

Echoing what previous posters have said, they upped the tempo second half and showed the difference that the players at a higher level can make with their quick movement and incisive passing. It looked like they cut through us easily for their second and third, but overall they were the better side and played the better football.

I was surprised to see Davis at right back, is Brown doing a Pulis with 4 centre halves? I don't think that experiment worked. He didn't look entirely comfortable and in the first half especially is where all their joy was coming from. I'd have put Gibbons there personally if Wilson was rested instead of experimenting with Davis in that role. Even more so with Turner on the right as Turner and Gibbons have played together in the same side for however long they've been at the club through the academy and youth set up.

The lads worked hard as a unit, I read the criticism of Tonge and Pugh earlier in the thread, but they put a real shift in that middle and having seen the goal again Tonge took it excellently. But for me the pick of them were Kay and Forrester.

Kays reading of the game and interceptions were excellent.

Forrester held the ball up well and relieved pressure by winning lots of free kicks. I think his substitution invited more pressure as Pope just isn't as mobile.

I saw Brown kicking off at their bench when the second went in, I had no idea what is for until reading this morning that lad who scored had spat at Davis. Dirty *******.

Not moaning just a observation.

Sutton Utd beat these last season .

Why we so afraid .

What the hell is wrong with these players .

The side we have now what amount to anything .

A centre half at right back and left back ,playing 2 up front v Leeds who had all the ball generally cause we respected them to much 1 up front v Crawley who had us stuck in our own half all half bar Turners goal .

Brown im sorry he aint up to the job ,he wasnt any good in league one what makes u think he is going be any good in league 2 .

The reality is we r conference bound .

Get a grip man, just because Sutton beat them doesn't mean every team a couple of leagues lower should beat them or be doomed to relegation. Seriously, think about it. We played a weakened team against them as well. None of us really know what will happen this year, but last night won't tell us anything either way.

Personally not surprised..I have predicted Leeds will be promoted so expected something like this. Nothing more to read into this other than the facts they are a huge Championship club and we are a L2 club

As long as we made a decent effort then we move on

Congrats to all those that made the journey to Leeds

No real gripe with the performance or result, it is what it is and Saturday is far more important and a truer test.

One thing that is concerning across football in general is the widening gulf in finances and subsequently quality. I know we didn't play our strongest side but Leeds also made 10 changes from their opening day line up and they still field players of far superior quality that cost millions.

Sent from my SM-G357FZ using the onevalefan mobile app

I just can figure out why we played 4 centre halfs , and 3 strikers no wonder we were a little disjointed

Sent from my iPhone using onevalefan

Because we haven't got a big squad and he wanted to keep a few players fresh for the next home game. Isn't that rather obvious? It may be the start of the season but the players will still be feeling a tough pre-season in their legs for a number of weeks, and so Brown's decision made perfect sense. Win on Saturday and we'll be in the top 3, and everyone's glass will be half full once again.

Because we haven't got a big squad and he wanted to keep a few players fresh for the next home game. Isn't that rather obvious? It may be the start of the season but the players will still be feeling a tough pre-season in their legs for a number of weeks, and so Brown's decision made perfect sense. Win on Saturday and we'll be in the top 3, and everyone's glass will be half full once again.

He had no need to play 4 centre halfs though, (unless it something he wanted to try so its an option for future games). He could easily have played Kelly and Gibbons at full backs, would that have weakened us that much? I don't think so personally.

I can't ever remember applauding the lads off after a 4-1 thumping. They worked their socks off but we came up against quality opposition. Sometimes you just have to accept it.

They upped the tempo in the second half and the two league gap told.

Kay is going to be very important for us this season. Thought he had a good game especially first half.

Forester was superb with his hold up play. His finishing let's him down at times but he was superb tonight. Turner and Reeves were chasing shadows at times but it's a great learning curve for them.

Gavin Gunning will just be a liability. 4-1 down with 2 minutes to go and he stupidly gets a 2nd yellow.

If you were there tonight and clapped him off then you're just as short of braincells as he is.

We never stopped working and I came away thinking the lads gave their all and it was the gulf in class that did us.

On a last point, Pope doesn't look right at all. His 30 minute cameo was one of an unfit or injured player.

It will be interesting to see if he starts on Saturday after Foresters showing.

Would agree with all that apart from the Pope comment. Very difficult for any player to come on when the team is losing and do anything to change the game. Forrester and Pyke did nothing in the second half compared to what they did in the first.

Gunning does seem to be a hot head but he was also excellent first half. He will lose his place to Denton but he is a very decent back up going from last nights performance.

Forrester was a big surprise. Worked very hard and held the ball up brilliantly. I would be starting him and Pyke together on Saturday without a shadow of a doubt.

No real gripe with the performance or result, it is what it is and Saturday is far more important and a truer test.

One thing that is concerning across football in general is the widening gulf in finances and subsequently quality. I know we didn't play our strongest side but Leeds also made 10 changes from their opening day line up and they still field players of far superior quality that cost millions.

Struggling to get what you expect when a top Championship club (and Leeds is a PL club in waiting) play a L2 club?? There is bound to be a massive gulf and there always has been.Yes the gulf between PL and L2 is bigger than ever in terms of finances and quality but at the same time I'd argue the gulf between L1 and say the national league has never been so small which I believe is due to National League and L2 getting better.

Cup upsets are much rarer than they seem when viewed thru nostalgic/romantic eyes..

He had no need to play 4 centre halfs though, (unless it something he wanted to try so its an option for future games). He could easily have played Kelly and Gibbons at full backs, would that have weakened us that much? I don't think so personally.

Well he's the manager and for whatever reason he thought the full-backs he picked would do a better job than the two kids on the day. Perhaps it was an experience thing alone, which is fair enough when playing an obviously much better side.

Kelly and Gibbons getting torn a new one wouldn't have done either of them any favours confidence wise. Exprienced players have the experience and know how to recover from that much better and move on.

Well he's the manager and for whatever reason he thought the full-backs he picked would do a better job than the two kids on the day. Perhaps it was an experience thing alone, which is fair enough when playing an obviously much better side.

Kelly and Gibbons getting torn a new one wouldn't have done either of them any favours confidence wise. Exprienced players have the experience and know how to recover from that much better and move on.

I see what you mean, but Joe Davis in particular isn't that much more experienced and I thought was the weak in the first half. We'll never know if the young full backs would have done better or worse.

Would agree with all that apart from the Pope comment. Very difficult for any player to come on when the team is losing and do anything to change the game. Forrester and Pyke did nothing in the second half compared to what they did in the first.

Gunning does seem to be a hot head but he was also excellent first half. He will lose his place to Denton but he is a very decent back up going from last nights performance.

Forrester was a big surprise. Worked very hard and held the ball up brilliantly. I would be starting him and Pyke together on Saturday without a shadow of a doubt.

Gunning's second booking was stupid but in his defence, the first was a "good" yellow card as we were outnumbered on the break (which definitely is our weakness at the moment) and he took one for the team. Denton will obviously replace him Saturday. Right back is more of a worry for me as it's been the weak link of the defence in both games this season.

Very nice to see we have options up front. Pyke showed last night that he is a huge step from Reggie, I think we've always known Forrester is a player but he needs to stay fit and Pope is the physical presence you need at this level but I agree that the partnership that showed the most promise last night was Pyke and Forrester and I'd start with that Saturday as well.

Struggling to get what you expect when a top Championship club (and Leeds is a PL club in waiting) play a L2 club?? There is bound to be a massive gulf and there always has been.Yyes the gulf between PL and L2 is bigger than ever in terms of finances and quality but at the same time I'd argue the gulf between L1 and say the national league has never been so small.

Cup upsets in the past were rarer than they seem when viewed at thru nostalgic/romantic eyes..

Not sure what you are disagreeing with me about.

I said NO gripe with result I.e. to be expected.

I said the gulf has never been so big. You seem to agree. I didn't say it isn't to be expected but i do think it's a shame.

You make some point about rarity of cup upsets - something I made no comment about.

In short - I think we actually agree with each other!

Archived