onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Ultimate Port Vale XI: the centre-halves

robf

Who should partner Roy Sproson in central defence in your Ultimate Port Vale XI?  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Who should partner Roy Sproson in central defence in your Ultimate Port Vale XI?

• Tommy Cheadle
    • Neil Aspin
    • Dean Glover
    • John Nicholson
    • Anthony Gardner
    • Terry Alcock
    • Peter Swan

Advert

Roy Sproson was LEFT HALF No 6

Later in his career he Played at LEFT BACK No 3

He was fabulous in both positions. (Nobody got past him)

When we played with a PROPER formation, And PROPER numbers i.e. =

Goalie

Right Full Back(2) Left Full Back(3)

Right Half(4) Centre Half(5) Left Half(6)

Inside Right(8) Inside Left(10)

Outside Centre Outside

Right Forward Left

(7) (9) (11)

There was no such thing as two Centre Halfs

I think we scored over 100 goals when we were 1st Champions of new Division 4.

I suppose you could call it; Two Three Five ?

(attacking football) :smile:

In my opinion this poll is mission impossible. If you haven't seen them how can you possibly pick out the best?

Two great servants aren't even on the list which are Phil Sproson and Deano Glover. I know dean was a failure as a boss but he was class personified as a centre back. When we had him on our books along with Aspo there was no better partnership in the Championship.

Phil Sproson's contribution was also immense people forget that he played hundreds of games for the club and was something of a rarity at the Vale because he attacked the ball. Young Smithie is the same but Phil had 3-4 inches of height advantage.

I still think the decision to put Sproson through on a bye is sycophantic to the Sproson family, smacks of autocracy and defeats the object of who is truly, in the eyes of ALL Vale fans taking part, the greatest Port Vale 11 of all time. In my eyes Aspo and Deano are by far the best two centre halves followed by Michael Walsh and Anthony Gardiner. I think Rob should rescind his 'bye' decision and allow democracy to reign otherwise it makes the 'best' eleven a laughing stock. If Sproson gets through on merit then fair enough but not this way.

Rob puts a lot of time and effort in to this site so why shouldn't he take the odd liberty.

It also helps balance out a bias to more recent players. I never saw Roy play but he was manager when I first went. I met him twice and he was a very genuine nice guy. When I had 3rd degree burns on my arms and chest as a 6 year old he brought most of the first team to the Haywood to see me. I wouldn't have voted for him as I never saw him play but he probably is the club's biggest legend so should be in the team.

In terms of being democratic including him as a representative of older supporters is giving a voice to older supporters who did see him play and wouldn't be represented. An element of democracy is making sure everyone voice is represented.

Much as I likes Aspin my doubt with him at centre half would be a lack of height and for me a bit of a weakness in the air. I like my number 5 to be physically tall and dominant, winning the first ball all the time and if possible getting us 6-8 goals off corners at the other end of the pitch. For all his many fantastic qualities and commitment I never felt that heading was his strength and for that reason I wanted him at right back.

I'll get my hat as it's clear I'm massively outvoted.:sad:

I can understand where people are coming from with Aspin i too thought he was a warrior in the vale cause his tenacity not to be beaten was unshakeable.But the same can be said of John Nicholson who give everything when he played for the vale he was strong in the air and dominated most no9s he played against.Even he would not get in my side unless you put sproson at left back which he could do standing on his head.Sorry for you young uns but cheadle every time for me but whoever gets picked so be it.

As Sproey has been given an automatic entry in central defence I would go for Glover alongside him, as a class act. Sproey to do the donkey work and Glover to look cool and play intelligent, perfect passing. I realise some on here will automatically rule Glover out after his debacle in the managers seat but in my time he rates a very accomplished central act alongside Sproey. Tough call this one as Aspin was the warrior that many Valiants still like to see in the side.

As Sproey has been given an automatic entry in central defence I would go for Glover alongside him, as a class act. Sproey to do the donkey work and Glover to look cool and play intelligent, perfect passing. I realise some on here will automatically rule Glover out after his debacle in the managers seat but in my time he rates a very accomplished central act alongside Sproey. Tough call this one as Aspin was the warrior that many Valiants still like to see in the side.

My thinking exactly.

So glad this can only be personal opinion...and, therefore, no wrong/right - just different! Also pleased that Sproey - the Legend - has been allowed to be selected as a full-back as my favourite (and often cited) centre half pairing is Neil Aspin and Mark Snijders. With Aspo you got a typical English player...hard as nails, fearless, great in the tackle and decent in the air and a great leader, even if not captain. Snijders, to me, complemented Aspo everywhere - he was quick, read the game beautifully and had that unflappability that continentals, especially the Dutch in their pomp, displayed. Always remember one cushioned header, under pressure and in the middle of his penalty area in front of the Bycars, out to our midfield which eased the pressure and turned defence into attack. Brilliant! But, we have been blessed with a surprising number of quality centre halves - Mick Walsh, Ant Gardner and Deano just being three of these. Hope we get the same quality back in the near future!

Well for me it is Neil Aspin. Whilst Lou Macari was from the dark side he knows a footballer and has said that Asp is the Vale player he most wanted. I seem to remember a few Arsenal players commenting that Asp was a magnificent opponent. Enough said

Well for me it is Neil Aspin. Whilst Lou Macari was from the dark side he knows a footballer and has said that Asp is the Vale player he most wanted. I seem to remember a few Arsenal players commenting that Asp was a magnificent opponent. Enough said

Aspin for England! - No brainer for me

I would like to mention Phil Sproson, Dean Glover, Michael Walsh, Mark Snijders and our own Nathan Smith - All worthy of the shirt imo - Great Players and one a 'Great' in the making.

Difficult one this, the 50s was a different ball game. Cheadle as a single CH had to be quick against centre-forwards breaking through, sliding tackles a speciality of his, especially on a muddy pitch being one of my memories of him, they would likely be red cards nowadays. Sproson was the left half, taking over from Bill McGarry when he went to Huddersfield and eventually the World Cup in 54, Sproson turned down a move to Liverpool so was highly rated at the time. The 54 team had some great players but their main strength was teamwork and wingers tracking back, an innovation at the time, which produced the excellent defensive record. We had better teams in the 90s, with a longer spell in tier 2, speaks for itself really. Gardner and Aspin are my favourites from those times, Ant left for a higher league unfortunately for us, so I go for Aspro as a twin CH.

Roy,donkey work?Nope.Class act.

Never saw Tommy Cheadle, so can't say. I have to go for Aspo - determined, aggressive, great reader of the game, with excellent positional sense and timing and more skill than first apparent. He must have been a nightmare to play against and his partnership with Glover was the best I've ever seen at Vale - perfect combination of strength and skill. Oh, and his occasional surging runs were the stuff of legend - goooooaaaan Aspo ��

Archived