onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Ultimate Port Vale XI: the centre-halves

robf

Who should partner Roy Sproson in central defence in your Ultimate Port Vale XI?  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Who should partner Roy Sproson in central defence in your Ultimate Port Vale XI?

• Tommy Cheadle
    • Neil Aspin
    • Dean Glover
    • John Nicholson
    • Anthony Gardner
    • Terry Alcock
    • Peter Swan

As has been said many times before, a lot of people will not have seen players from the 50's & 60's play so it is slightly unfair. Sproson throws up different problems, because people like me WILL have seen him play through the the 60' s and to the end of his career. However, even a good percentage of those who saw him play will not have seen him in his pomp in the 50's. Sometimes as I've stated in previous posts you have to look at stats and listen to fans who did see players at their best. Best central DEFENDER I've seen in 55 yrs watching Vale is undoubtedly Neil Aspin. But I've no doubt that Sproson in his time was better. Peter Swan ? To quote Malcolm Allison "do me a favour" !

Sent from my GT-I9195I using the onevalefan mobile app

Advert

Surprised I'm the only one to vote for Gardner, best defender I've seen for the Vale ever, shame he got injured when he went Spurs as he would have been a regular for them.

I agree with you whole heartedly. Problem is that he was with us for such a short while, whereas others (Aspin & Glover to name but two) did not the business CONSISTENTLY over a number of years. Also has the rules state Sproson is a shoe - in and he was a ball playing centre half, it's reasonable to assume a more "dogged" partner would be required. But yes, I do agree with your point about Gardner.

Sent from my GT-I9195I using the onevalefan mobile app

Neil Aspin was a truly great player for the Vale. But surely Cheadle and John Nicholson were better players and also loyal servants. The problem with this poll is that most fans never saw them play. Ken Hancock and Reg Potts should have topped their categories, but they played to long ago for this poll.

Aspo, no contest. I started going to the Vale in the 89/90 season and Aspin was my hero from that day to this. The reasons behind his departure said it all to me- loyalty (in this case to Rudgie) is a rare commodity in football.

Exactly my point, I started going to the Vale mid fifties, Johnny Nick was a brilliant player, and Potts and Cheadle etc were before my time, so who will vote for the, you are right it is a no contest.

Aspo, no contest. I started going to the Vale in the 89/90 season and Aspin was my hero from that day to this. The reasons behind his departure said it all to me- loyalty (in this case to Rudgie) is a rare commodity in football.

Exactly my point, I started going to the Vale mid fifties, Johnny Nick was a brilliant player, and Potts and Cheadle etc were before my time, so who will vote for the, you are right it is a no contest.

The only downside to polls like these is I can't say about the older boys because I can't vote based on reputation, no matter how deserving they are.

Voted for swanny but tough shout as Aspin and deano were a good combination. Always remember Swanny running out at the Vic ground before kick off against Stoke in a short sleeve shirt. Scared the s**t out of me and he was on our side. Next day Stoke mates at work thought he was awesome. Chipped in with more than the odd goal too.

Great point ref Phil Sproson. Only caught the end of his playing career but everything I said about Swanny could be said about Phil.

Too young to have seen Roy play but must have been a cracking player.You don't get your statue outside a ground that easily so no arguments from me on that score.

Archived