onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Signings?

WalterJ

I'm sure we may have been interested in a striker who scored 16 goals in League Two last season and has a good career record. However there are levels of interest and I'm sure ours was reduced immensely by the Pope signing, as we were unlikely to sign two similar strikers as our starting pair for next season.

As Mario says above, it does look a lot like them trying to make it look like they beat us to someone, when in reality our waning interest should probably be no more than a footnote in the story.

Advert

I'm sure we may have been interested in a striker who scored 16 goals in League Two last season and has a good career record. However there are levels of interest and I'm sure ours was reduced immensely by the Pope signing, as we were unlikely to sign two similar strikers as our starting pair for next season.

As Mario says above, it does look a lot like them trying to make it look like they beat us to someone, when in reality our waning interest should probably be no more than a footnote in the story.

Agreed. Obviously annoyed we took nearly all their best players off them in the last ten years. If we actually wanted him, we would have signed him , look at Grant, they couldn't afford him we could.

Agreed. Obviously annoyed we took nearly all their best players off them in the last ten years. If we actually wanted him, we would have signed him , look at Grant, they couldn't afford him we could.

Exactly. No link with Crwho whatsoever whereas we have Chris Morgan who played with him at Sheff U. As you said, if we actually wanted him, we would have got him.

Why are we getting so worked up over this guy?

He had a good tally last season but this was the first time in 9 seasons (in the previous 8, he scored 38 in 188 games i.e. one goal every 5 games). In fact, since he left Derby County, his scoring rate has dropped from one goal in 3 to one in 4 even though most of that time has been in the lower leagues.

We've already got our target man - we don't need another. So Crewe can gloat all they like - we have the better player. Give me Popey any day.

Its just a news story, probably something discussed between a journalist and the player rather than from the club. I'd be shocked if Vale hadn't enquired as he is a decent player with a decent record. I'd imagine it probably came down to him or Pope as I suspect they are both on relatively high wages compared to our budget. He's from Wigan so he was probably looking to finish his career closer to home. Would have been a great signing for us if we hadn't got Pope, but they are players who broadly want to play in the same space so probably not together. There will be a lot of players who talk to both clubs because most players end up at clubs within 2 hours of their home. Just based on budgets and strengths in squads we will offer more and sometimes Crewe. We've got 1.5 million to spend, Crewe a little less but both clubs will spend their whole budget. A fair chunk of our budget will have been spent on Pope. I'm sure if Porter had said he was after 100 quid a week we would have signed him, but Crewe will have offered him whatever they pay for a first choice striker, which will be more than we would pay for a backup striker.

Archived