onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Retained list

boltonsno1

Really - why?

Your blatant lack of understanding the effect on the fan base of the chairmanship constant foot in mouth comments. For you it may not have any impact but for others it may have tipped the balance between getting a ST or not, if 10 percent are effected by this that's £108000 lost based on 320 lost st's at £340.

Advert

We have to be realistic about the budget and what we can and cannot afford. Playing fantasy football is easy on paper and if we'd got Arab sheiks pumping in millions then yes we could get rid of all the players and replace them with Barcelona's but we haven't got that luxury.

Money I'm certain will be tighter this year than last as with all the negativity that has surrounded the Club since Xmas and a disastrous last home game then a lot of people won't want to renew their tickets. And you can see why. NS shot himself in the foot and the wound is still lingering with some supporters.

The other point is - if we get rid of too many fringe players what happens if we get 3-4 injuries and a couple of suspensions? You have to prepare for those eventualities as well.

Clearly a lot of the reserve players will go, including Lloyd. Neal looks like he's off too. Daniel the same. Campion. I'd let Robinson go as well. Johnson. Brown I think is now too slow. If Smith has come on, maybe Yates will be released, along with Birchall but those 2 never give less than 100% and I believe are excellent squad players behind the scenes. But I think they will go. Maybe McGivern. That is 10 already! It reads as if O'Connor is going as I would not keep the door open for him for months. If he isn't bothered about playing for us he can go too. I'd ditch the hapless Kelly because his performances annoy me intensely and are bad for my blood pressure.

So I suppose we can easily see 10 departing - including 2-3 on presumably a good wage.

That should mean we can go for the 4-5 quality players that we need. 1-2 centre backs, a box to box midfielder, winger and striker. But they must be proven, good players and not chancers and youngsters like Kennedy, Kelly and Uche. We need more quality not more players.

Good points, certainly around the budget, how it stretches and the need to be realistic. Personally I think we need to take a chance on the injury/suspension thing. I can't think of a time in the last few years where we've had anything like an injury/suspension crisis. Is that because we've been careful with who we've brought in? I doubt it, more on the fortune side of things than anything else. Spending an extra £20k (Figure plucked out of the air so bear with me) on the sports science/physio/training side of things to keep our 1st team players in peak physical condition and away from injuries is better than spending money on 2 or 3 players to sit in the stand waiting to take a spot on the bench. It's about how we use our money, I'm a big believer that if we spend money on backroom items and staff instead doing the age-old thing of spending more on players then we'd reap the benefits. I'm pretty sure that's what Burton did, spent more on infrastructure and staff and spent less on the squad.

I agree with your keep/release players in the main. Kelly has another year though so not sure if we can get someone to take him off our hands. Incredibly frustrating player as he's come off the bench a few times and come up with something, but most times come on and looked completely uninterested and out of his depth. 4-5 of league one quality would be good, then find something we can do behind the scenes (tactically, fitness etc) that gives us an edge because nobody else is really doing it. We've got to spend our money wisely and maybe not in a conventional way to stand out next season.

Your blatant lack of understanding the effect on the fan base of the chairmanship constant foot in mouth comments. For you it may not have any impact but for others it may have tipped the balance between getting a ST or not, if 10 percent are effected by this that's £108000 lost based on 320 lost st's at £340.

To be fair JJJ he could say the exact same to you, we all have no idea what the effect is going to be, only time will tell when we find out the final number of STs sold. Norman's ramblings this season could have a massive impact, or next to none, we just don't know.

I reckon it may have put a few off, but I don't think it'll be loads (hopefully). I'm not even going to try & guess at the number we'll sell though, especially with the retained list & entire summer to come yet. Just going to try & remain optimistic.

I said it before the start of last season and was proven correct. Unless we are ruthless, we will end up in exactly the same spot as last season and possibly lower.

By last season, do you mean the one just finished?

If so, then you're saying that before last season you said "unless we are ruthless we will end up in exactly the same spot as last season and possibly lower". The season before last we finished 18th. Last season we finished 12th. So you weren't proven correct at all, were you?

If you mean the beginning of the season before, Micky Adams was in charge at the beginning of that season. There wasn't a huge demand for a clear out back then as I recall. We lost Myrie Williams and Loft, but other than that we brought in quite a few new players; O'Connor, Moore, Marshall, McGivern etc. So the point doesn't really tie in to what happened back then.

AJ Leitch-Smith - KEEP - Our top scorer this year, obvious contract offer

Carl Dickinson - KEEP - Get's stupidly criticised, solid full back at L1 level and a good pro and a good character.

Ryan McGivern - RELEASE - Not strong or powerful enough for a L1 centre back and always has mistakes in him. We can do better.

Richard Duffy - RELEASE - Not dominant enough in the air.

Michael O’Connor - RELEASE - Been very poor this year. Pass completation ratio must be a joke given he's supposedly our 'playmaker'.

Chris Birchall - RELEASE - Served the club well, but a waste of a wage.

Theo Robinson - RELEASE - Not seen enough of him to suggest he could be a consistent threat in L1.

Byron Moore - RELEASE - There is a talented player in there somewhere, but his heart just doesn't seem in it enough.

Sam Johnson - RELEASE - Overloaded with GKs, waste of a wage.

Enoch Andoh - KEEP - Talented winger showing good promise, hopefully he'll be loyal enough to sign a new deal after we stuck with him through his injury.

Colin Daniel - RELEASE - Not good enough for L1

Chris Neal - RELEASE - We can't have 2 good GK's on good wages at the club.

Ryan Lloyd - RELEASE - Been here for years now and has never broken into the first team consistently. Maybe needs a new club for the good of his career.

Adam Yates - RELEASE - Served us well but I feel there would be better full backs out there.

The hideous construction of your first sentence renders it unworthy of a reply.

So for me then:

Offer new deal

Louis Dodds

AJ Leitch-Smith

Carl Dickinson

Richard Duffy

Michael O'Connor

Enoch Andoh

Release

Colin Daniel

Chris Neal (Only because he's leaving anyway)

Ryan Lloyd

Adam Yates

Theo Robinson

Achille Campion

Byron Moore

Sam Johnson

Chris Birchall

Ryan McGivern

Bang on, but i think he'll offer contracts to Yates and McGivern too.

By last season, do you mean the one just finished?

If so, then you're saying that before last season you said "unless we are ruthless we will end up in exactly the same spot as last season and possibly lower". The season before last we finished 18th. Last season we finished 12th. So you weren't proven correct at all, were you?

If you mean the beginning of the season before, Micky Adams was in charge at the beginning of that season. There wasn't a huge demand for a clear out back then as I recall. We lost Myrie Williams and Loft, but other than that we brought in quite a few new players; O'Connor, Moore, Marshall, McGivern etc. So the point doesn't really tie in to what happened back then.

I was talking about the season just gone. We'll end up mid-table again or possibly worse if we keep too much of the deadwood. In my opinion of course!

I'd release Yates simply because of his age. Purkis is also in his 30's so ideally we should be looking for a younger player as cover who can then hopefully develop into the role.

I'd also release O'Connor and tell to go look for a club more local to his home, whilst we looked for a replacement. If in a few weeks we haven't found a replacement and he hasn't found a club then we could re-sign him.

This would be an improvement on us waiting all summer waiting for his answer.

Archived