onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Retained list

boltonsno1

For me the biggest conundrum is Andoh. On this season's form he's a no brainer but I've heard that he may not be fit until October. When he is fit we do not know what effect this injury will have on him so what do we do? Offer him a deal until Christmas to see if he proves he's as good as ever but risk losing him then? Offer him 12 months knowing we will likely only get 6 or 7 moths of playing time from him? Assume he will be back to his best and give him 2 years? I think this is the most difficult decision of the lot.

Perhaps offer him till the end of next season with an option (like the Dodds deal) for it to be extended after a number of games are reached?

I think there's always an element of a gamble with contracts anyhow. I think Inniss is a prime example. We clearly agreed a hefty (financially) loan deal with the expectation he would be a first-choice nearly all season and then he suffers not one but two significant injuries.

I think with a prospect like Andoh you have to hope for the best and if it turns out otherwise, well, you've lost the gamble... and you've just got to hope you win the next gamble instead...

Advert

I just think it's a waste of a wage. Yesterday when Yaes came on he looked way out of his depth, was caught out of position and gave the ball away. We need to be more ruthless than last seasons 'cull'

you could have said that about most if not all of the team Sunday, McGivern for a international is woefull, Duffy spends all the time with his arm up claiming offside, for me Yates is a good squad player, and I don't think he's had a bad game whenever he's come on since around Christmas...Purkiss is ok until he succomes to the other 2's play

we need more pace all over the pitch, if the squad is going to be a lot smaller we need players who can play over 30 games, can we afford to take risks on inniss and streete as our main defenders as they both look like they cant play more than a handful of games before getting injured, grant needs to cut the silly yellow cards down we need him on the pitch not watching from the stands

And players who can lead and play with passion. I don't see much of that in the squad apart from Dicko and Brown.

People moan but for me and the wage he is on an offer to Yates is a sensible thing to do as he is back up for right and left back and i know this wont be popular but i would sooner see McGivern stay than Duffy

If he's on the supposed wage he claimed last summer I agree - in a small squad we can't carry 4 fullbacks and he can play left and right side. Yesterday he wasn't good but came in to a team playing awfully.

I have been disappointed in Streete. He is poor in the air and has no pace but is decent with the ball at his feet. Maybe needs a commanding centre back alongside him in the Innes mold.

I tend to agree with your assessment. None of Duffy, Streete or Smith that tall and I think all 3 need to play with a Peter Swann type of player - which would also offer more of a threat from our corners. I think Page will offer Duffy a contract but my gut reaction is Duffy was as good as he can be last season, but when you look at the other players under contract and what we need to compliment them he isn't what we need. My understanding is he is quite a high earner and not that versatile, he plays worse at fullback than Yates, so I would let him go. If Streete or Smith were big, dominant players I would be quite happy to keep him as he has probably been our most consistent centrehalf this season.

If he's on the supposed wage he claimed last summer I agree - in a small squad we can't carry 4 fullbacks and he can play left and right side. Yesterday he wasn't good but came in to a team playing awfully.

Currently we've got Purkiss, Yates, Dicko & Gibbons (I know hes a way off being ready) at full back. With Mcgivern, Duffy and Nathan Smith who who can also fill in there. If we get rid of Yates then the problem comes if we get an injury or suspension.

So for me then:

Offer new deal

Louis Dodds

AJ Leitch-Smith

Carl Dickinson

Richard Duffy

Michael O'Connor

Enoch Andoh

Release

Colin Daniel

Chris Neal (Only because he's leaving anyway)

Ryan Lloyd

Adam Yates

Theo Robinson

Achille Campion

Byron Moore

Sam Johnson

Chris Birchall

Ryan McGivern

Spot on that is, at least someone on here has some sense

you could have said that about most if not all of the team Sunday, McGivern for a international is woefull, Duffy spends all the time with his arm up claiming offside, for me Yates is a good squad player, and I don't think he's had a bad game whenever he's come on since around Christmas...Purkiss is ok until he succomes to the other 2's play

Agreed about Duffy and McGivern. I'd get rid of both but I suspect Page will keep one or the other for a bit of experienced back up. I don't even think Yates is good enough for back up - he offers nothing in an attacking sense and is often caught out of position leading to goals. A lot of games in our league are won from two decent full backs (prime example of yesterday). When Purkiss and Dicko have a poor game we generally lose, we look really short of attacking options, where as Walsall's full backs were always available and supported the attack well.

Currently we've got Purkiss, Yates, Dicko & Gibbons (I know hes a way off being ready) at full back. With Mcgivern, Duffy and Nathan Smith who who can also fill in there. If we get rid of Yates then the problem comes if we get an injury or suspension.

At least one of McGivern and Duffy is leaving, maybe both. The big unknown is how Page sees Smith developing. I'm not 100% sure he's big enough to play centrehalf at this level and he did start out as a fullback - who can play left and right. If Page sees him as playing fullback next season then Yates will be let go as they must be planning on him getting first team experience during the course of next season. If that was the case I'd also keep Duffy personally if they can get him on reduced terms and look to bring in a couple of 6 foot plus centrehalves. I've only really seen Smith in preseason games, so like most supporters I know a lot less about where he will end up playing next year than the coaching staff.

Good shout this. But think O Connor will be leaving as well, either released because does not seem his heart is in it, or leave because of the travelling.As other posters have said we need players with PACE.

So for me then:

Offer new deal

Louis Dodds

AJ Leitch-Smith

Carl Dickinson

Richard Duffy

Michael O'Connor

Enoch Andoh

Release

Colin Daniel

Chris Neal (Only because he's leaving anyway)

Ryan Lloyd

Adam Yates

Theo Robinson

Achille Campion

Byron Moore

Sam Johnson

Chris Birchall

Ryan McGivern

At least one of McGivern and Duffy is leaving, maybe both. The big unknown is how Page sees Smith developing. I'm not 100% sure he's big enough to play centrehalf at this level and he did start out as a fullback - who can play left and right. If Page sees him as playing fullback next season then Yates will be let go as they must be planning on him getting first team experience during the course of next season. If that was the case I'd also keep Duffy personally if they can get him on reduced terms and look to bring in a couple of 6 foot plus centrehalves. I've only really seen Smith in preseason games, so like most supporters I know a lot less about where he will end up playing next year than the coaching staff.

Going off what Page has said in the news he seems happy with Smiths progress and I'd assumed thats been at centre half in Torquay.

If one of the centre halves gets released then I think we need a more experienced commanding centre half to be first choice.

Going off what Page has said in the news he seems happy with Smiths progress and I'd assumed thats been at centre half in Torquay.

I've been following the press reports in Torquay reasonably closely and he's mostly been used as a centre-half (though I think he did do a bit at fullback at the start). I also believe he's been used in a back four and in a back three.

I do think there is a fair step-up from National League to League One so I don't think any Vale first-team place next season is a given.

But I do think he's done his chances a lot of good with his Torquay spell and if he has an impressive pre-season then I guess he stands a very decent chance of being in contention.

Offer deal:

AJ - tailed off a bit but still a decent player.

Dodds - all in all a decent year always gets around 10 and actually tries.

Andoh - worth the risk for another season, look quality early doors, I'd certainly look into a longer deal for him.

Duffy - not his biggest fan but has had a good season, in a defence that until recently had performed well, although it probably offer him a deal on reduced terms or the same as his current one.

Oconnor - good player at this level but not performed this year, still has quality and as with Duffy I'd offer a deal but on reduced terms (probably pointless given what's been said) but no harm in trying.

Dickinson- lower terms again but he's not had a bad season and I'm not that sure we will get better at left back with what we can offer.

Brown- not sure if his is up or not. If it is then I'd offer a pay as you play deal or something of that sort.

Lloyd- I'd give him another chance. Impressed on loan this year so actually give him some minutes on the pitch. Will be cheap and has some good pace to him

Release -

Campion (obviously)

Birchall - good servant for the club but not played enough to warrant a contract, would personally prefer to see a young lad on the bench in place.

Yates- as above really, dosent look a league 1 player any more and I'd like to see a young lad (maybe smith if he isn't at centre back) in his place.

Robinson - not shown enough for me.

McGivern - liability. Had a few good games but makes far too many errors.

Daniel - nowhere near good enough.

Neal - would have offered him a deal as he's quality but looks like he's off.

Moore- far to inconsistent and dosent look interested.

Johnson - never really been a fan.

Leaving us needing a centre back, hopefully one good in the air. Possibly a full back as back up, at least 1 winger and centre mid and hopefully a goal scorer.

Archived