onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Retained list

boltonsno1

People moan but for me and the wage he is on an offer to Yates is a sensible thing to do as he is back up for right and left back and i know this wont be popular but i would sooner see McGivern stay than Duffy

I think this is pretty sensible. Especially as McGivern is left footed. I also think we were far worse on Sunday when he went off.

Advert

Legally he's got 30 days from the offer of a contract, that's a long time in the summer transfer market and the best players are going to have a lot of offers early doors. Saying to the best players wait 30 days and we might offer you a contract isn't going to inspire them to sign - or even turn up for a chat.

There's a fairly easy way to get round waiting 30 days for O'Connor to give us a decision. Make the decision for him. Average player in a poor side one season, poor player in an average side the next. He'll be a footnote in Vale history in 2 years.

People moan but for me and the wage he is on an offer to Yates is a sensible thing to do as he is back up for right and left back and i know this wont be popular but i would sooner see McGivern stay than Duffy

In the risk of also being unpopular I'd also agree with this. I think ability wise they're the same and to be Duffy has been made to look better by Inniss. McGivern being left footed is, for me, the deal breaker between the two. Plus I bet his wages aren't as high.

So for me I'd keep:

McGivern or Duffy (but as stated above leaning towards Mcgivern)

O'Connor or Birchall (O'connor is a good player but I think Foley and Grant is our best midfield 2, so I wouldn't be too sad to see him go. I'd only keep Birchall if O'connor leaves and he was back up central midfield - not to be used as a winger!)

Andoh

Dodds

Dicko

Leitch-Smith

Brown

I'd also keep all of last years first year graduates and loan them out again but for the whole season including pre-seasons with wherever they end up.

For next season I'd then I'd look to bring in 2 attacking full backs, a winger, a play maker, a commanding centre half and a striker - perhaps a veteran like Hughes to help the development of Hooper.

There's a fairly easy way to get round waiting 30 days for O'Connor to give us a decision. Make the decision for him. Average player in a poor side one season, poor player in an average side the next. He'll be a footnote in Vale history in 2 years.

Quite.

I keep getting it in my head that he's a good player. But how many times has he either dug us out of the mire or ran/won a game for us? I can only remember the two Doncaster games last season when he's looked anything a quality player.

My thoughts are he thinks he's doing us a favour by being here. And for the third pre season we'll left with the "will he won't he" thing.

Very replaceable I think.

Quite.

I keep getting it in my head that he's a good player. But how many times has he either dug us out of the mire or ran/won a game for us? I can only remember the two Doncaster games last season when he's looked anything a quality player.

My thoughts are he thinks he's doing us a favour by being here. And for the third pre season we'll left with the "will he won't he" thing.

I agree!It reminds me of the Chris Lines situation.We will move no doubt.

Quite.

My abiding good memory will be of the winner at the Ricoh last season. Apart from that, I'm struggling to see the fascination with him. Slows the play down, doesn't score goals from open play, doesn't create goals (2 assists this season?!?) doesn't protect the defence. The odd good free kick and odd good 50 yard square pass aside, he doesn't do a great deal. In my view of course.

My abiding good memory will be of the winner at the Ricoh last season. Apart from that, I'm struggling to see the fascination with him. Slows the play down, doesn't score goals from open play, doesn't create goals (2 assists this season?!?) doesn't protect the defence. The odd good free kick and odd good 50 yard square pass aside, he doesn't do a great deal. In my view of course.

I agree. He looks like he has the technique and swagger of a good player but there's a lot of style with very little substance. His goals from open play are very few and like you say, he tends to slow the attack down. We need pace as this is what frightens most teams at this level.

Interesting views on here considering everyone was spitting blood (me included) over keeping the likes of Yates and Birchall last year.

Yates can cover left and right back so maybe useful if cheap.

Grant, Foley, Brown and Birchall isn't a bad quartet of central midfielders either if Occy goes. I'd rather he stayed but if he's going to mess us about and cost us loads to keep maybe the funds are best used elsewhere.

Andoh is crucial for me, the fact he's injured until October might see us keep him another year.

Daniel

Campion

Lloyd

Johnson

McGivern

Birchall

Robinson

Neal

These will be released if I was a betting man.

O'Connor in my opinion is a good footballer with fantastic ability. Last season he was fantastic in the middle with Brown and deserved to get the player of the season award. However, he hasn't looked anywhere near the player he was last season, whether that's due to the injury I don't know, yeah he's had good games this season but had a few bad ones at the same time. I for one would be sad to see him leave because as I've said he's got fantastic footballing ability but it seems to me he isn't interested in us anymore.

My released list would start with Dicko. Overpaid defender who struggles to defend half the time. I doubt he will be released but i can always hope.

O'Connor should go for his own benefit. He doesnt look like he is enjoying his football at the Vale.

Keep Andoh, Dodds, AJ (although i wouldn't be too bothered if he left), McGiven if he releases Dicko for cover at LB and CB.

I think the players that are already under contract have been our best players this season. Id like to see Foley in CM with Grant as he offers far more movement than OC.

Keeping players like Adam Yates because he "can do a job" and "he is cheap" will be the clubs biggest downfall.

I want us to improve in all areas.

Take Leitch Smith. The lad has had a good season but if we are having him up top for 46 games next season we wont be going anywhere again.

A good squad player but lets try and improve. In all areas.

Yates.

Birchall.

Johnson.

Lloyd.

Campion.

Moore.

Mcgivern/Duffy (one or the other or both)

Bye.

Specifically if Yates, Birchall, Johnson and Lloyd get contracts there is something wrong within the club.

Non league players.

Thanks to Yatesy and Birchall but the time has come.

Johnson and Lloyd have just robbed a professional living from us. Especially Ryan Lloyd having been a pro for 7 years.

Shown absolutely nothing.

Keeping players like Adam Yates because he "can do a job" and "he is cheap" will be the clubs biggest downfall.

Agreed, I fail to see any valuable contribution this season other than getting chewed up and spat out at Wigan, making a wing back look a ridiculous invnetion at Scunny.

Other than passing ok for a couple of games either side of the Maidenhead replay I really don't know what he offers - a 2 game a season player is not one we should be keeping!

I want us to improve in all areas.

Take Leitch Smith. The lad has had a good season but if we are having him up top for 46 games next season we wont be going anywhere again.

A good squad player but lets try and improve. In all areas.

Yates.

Birchall.

Johnson.

Lloyd.

Campion.

Moore.

Mcgivern/Duffy (one or the other or both)

Bye.

Specifically if Yates, Birchall, Johnson and Lloyd get contracts there is something wrong within the club.

Non league players.

Thanks to Yatesy and Birchall but the time has come.

Johnson and Lloyd have just robbed a professional living from us. Especially Ryan Lloyd having been a pro for 7 years.

Shown absolutely nothing.

Superb post ST - you're absolutely bang on with every word there (...careful though, you'll be getting the anti-criticism mardarse brigade on your case now!)

I agree about Leitch-Smith - had an OK season but still not up to leading the line/being the main(only) man up front. But, you can almost guarantee that Page will again mostly go with him up top and Dodds just behind, that he obviously loves and raves on about so much. Tippy-tappy forward play that is largely too slow and too weak.

I swear that some people would still be wanting Yates in the squad when he's pushing 40!

Agreed, I fail to see any valuable contribution this season other than getting chewed up and spat out at Wigan, making a wing back look a ridiculous invnetion at Scunny.

Other than passing ok for a couple of games either side of the Maidenhead replay I really don't know what he offers - a 2 game a season player is not one we should be keeping!

Again, absolutely bang on there REP.

Archived