Louis Dodds

AJ Leitch-Smith

Carl Dickinson

Richard Duffy

Michael O'Connor

Enoch Andoh

Release

Colin Daniel

Chris Neal (Only because he's leaving anyway)

Ryan Lloyd

Adam Yates

Theo Robinson

Achille Campion

Byron Moore

Sam Johnson

Chris Birchall

Ryan McGivern

Id have to agree with this new deal list, however I don't think O'Connor will stay due to where he lives.

Advert

I agree with that. One thing I've always wondered is why the club doesn't act in the current season with players that it obviously wants to keep. For instance, Alnwick was given a two and half year contract after a promising start yet the club didn't do the same with Leitch-Smith or Andoh both of whom I would imagine the club wants to keep.

Is it because of the rules? Perhaps financially you have to be able to prove you have the funds to match the contract's financial commitment or perhaps we could do it with Alnwick because he was technically a free agent wheras Andoh and AJ had contracts till the end of the season?

For me, I would always be a fan of getting your best players signed up ASAP even if that's mid-season - if you wait till the summer there is always the danger that other clubs will show an interest and heads will be turned.

When Smurf arrived he said gone are the days of this club losing its best players because they let the contracts run down mmmmm seems like thats gone and forgotten now

Offer deal:

Lloyd- I'd give him another chance. Impressed on loan this year so actually give him some minutes on the pitch. Will be cheap and has some good pace to him

I'd be interested to see why you think this. I can't say I trawl the internet like some on here for reports etc. but I've noticed Lloyd has received some positive reports from Chester fans and the media but has also struggled to nail down a first team position often being moved around quite a bit across the midfield. It was in the Chester Chronicle last week that he's open to a permanent move to them so I guess that could mean the end for him.

My own thoughts are that I've not seen him ever do too well either at first team level or mainly developmental. He has good technique but neither the pace or strength to back it up at league level. Really can't see him being here next season and realistically we can't afford anyone heading towards 23 if they can't have an impact on the first team squad. Really thought he could have done well a few years ago but I think he's just at that point now where he needs to be better when you look at the likes of Kelly, Andoh and JJ.

I just think it's a waste of a wage. Yesterday when Yaes came on he looked way out of his depth, was caught out of position and gave the ball away. We need to be more ruthless than last seasons 'cull'

According to Page though you cant get a non league player in for the wage Yates is on,so i guess its something he will have to weigh up.I dont want Yates or Birchall offered anything but if they are i wont come on here firing off at Page like i know some will and are waiting for

I'd be interested to see why you think this. I can't say I trawl the internet like some on here for reports etc. but I've noticed Lloyd has received some positive reports from Chester fans and the media but has also struggled to nail down a first team position often being moved around quite a bit across the midfield. It was in the Chester Chronicle last week that he's open to a permanent move to them so I guess that could mean the end for him.

My own thoughts are that I've not seen him ever do too well either at first team level or mainly developmental. He has good technique but neither the pace or strength to back it up at league level. Really can't see him being here next season and realistically we can't afford anyone heading towards 23 if they can't have an impact on the first team squad. Really thought he could have done well a few years ago but I think he's just at that point now where he needs to be better when you look at the likes of Kelly, Andoh and JJ.

You may well be correct. I just feel he's never had the chance in the vale side (maybe not good enough). In my opinion for what he would be getting paid he's worth a year. I haven't seen him much but he's got decent skill and a great left foot; still a little lightweight though.

I can't see him being here either, as you say at nearly 23 he's no longer a youngster. Didn't know about the permanent move so that may well be what happens and possibly the best option for all.

According to Page though you cant get a non league player in for the wage Yates is on,so i guess its something he will have to weigh up.I dont want Yates or Birchall offered anything but if they are i wont come on here firing off at Page like i know some will and are waiting for

Just because Page thinks you can't get a player from non league cheaper than Yates that doesn't mean Yates is better than them does it.

We need a clear out big time. It's been an average season and we need to push on of we are to mount a serious play off challenge. We can do that if he gets this spot on and gets rid and brings some quality in. We need a good forward, a good dominating centre half and a good winger.

To those who want to bring in non league players. I guess there are some good ones like Vardy. But I watched Tranmere v Wrexham a few weeks ago. Two teams just short of the National League playoffs. There were no players good enough for league 1. The gulf is enormous.

I'm on my way for my coat already .... but I really can't see why we would keep Kelly over Moore. He might be inconsistent but Moore is twice the player Kelly is.

Kelly's cameo yesterday was perhaps the worst display I can recall in a Vale shirt since the days of Slater and Rocastle.

And O'Connor wasn't far behind him.

Just because Page thinks you can't get a player from non league cheaper than Yates that doesn't mean Yates is better than them does it.

We need a clear out big time. It's been an average season and we need to push on of we are to mount a serious play off challenge. We can do that if he gets this spot on and gets rid and brings some quality in. We need a good forward, a good dominating centre half and a good winger.

I feel Yates is completely out of shape or he has just got old. He reminds me of Barney Rubble presently.

Offer deal:

AJ - tailed off a bit but still a decent player.

Dodds - all in all a decent year always gets around 10 and actually tries.

Andoh - worth the risk for another season, look quality early doors, I'd certainly look into a longer deal for him.

Duffy - not his biggest fan but has had a good season, in a defence that until recently had performed well, although it probably offer him a deal on reduced terms or the same as his current one.

Oconnor - good player at this level but not performed this year, still has quality and as with Duffy I'd offer a deal but on reduced terms (probably pointless given what's been said) but no harm in trying.

Dickinson- lower terms again but he's not had a bad season and I'm not that sure we will get better at left back with what we can offer.

Brown- not sure if his is up or not. If it is then I'd offer a pay as you play deal or something of that sort.

Lloyd- I'd give him another chance. Impressed on loan this year so actually give him some minutes on the pitch. Will be cheap and has some good pace to him

Release -

Campion (obviously)

Birchall - good servant for the club but not played enough to warrant a contract, would personally prefer to see a young lad on the bench in place.

Yates- as above really, dosent look a league 1 player any more and I'd like to see a young lad (maybe smith if he isn't at centre back) in his place.

Robinson - not shown enough for me.

McGivern - liability. Had a few good games but makes far too many errors.

Daniel - nowhere near good enough.

Neal - would have offered him a deal as he's quality but looks like he's off.

Moore- far to inconsistent and dosent look interested.

Johnson - never really been a fan.

Leaving us needing a centre back, hopefully one good in the air. Possibly a full back as back up, at least 1 winger and centre mid and hopefully a goal scorer.

The issue with O'Connor is he won't sign until the last possible moment regardless of what he is offered. He clearly wants to be closer to home, fair enough if that is best for him and his family. The problem then is we may have missed out on the first 10 players we would want to replace him. At the moment he's saying he'll stay if Scunthorpe, Burton, Doncaster, Sheffield, Walsall, Coventry, Rotherham, Chesterfield, Mansfield, Notts County and Barnsley don't want him. Do we cut our losses or let him play the field for 3 months.

What i am saying is that it wont happen,we wanted a clear out last season and it didn't happen and it wont happen now but in some ways i understand some of the decisions made,although i know he will get hammered on here by those who dont want Page and are looking for any excuse to have a pop...for me he did well last season with the players he got in,so i am prepared to wait to see who comes in as well

The issue with O'Connor is he won't sign until the last possible moment regardless of what he is offered. He clearly wants to be closer to home, fair enough if that is best for him and his family. The problem then is we may have missed out on the first 10 players we would want to replace him. At the moment he's saying he'll stay if Scunthorpe, Burton, Doncaster, Sheffield, Walsall, Coventry, Rotherham, Chesterfield, Mansfield, Notts County and Barnsley don't want him. Do we cut our losses or let him play the field for 3 months.

I would give him a deadline tbh...why should we have to wait for him until the last minute only for no one to want him so he will then sign,his heart clearly isn't here,i want players who WANT to play for PVFC,while i understand what he says about his family,he has chosen the life of a footballer so sadly should have to make the sacrifices,Vale imo have been very good to him

Page has two strategies as per Radio Stoke on Saturday. If resources are more constrained the all the money must be put in to the first eleven (risk is injuries of course). Secondly, get everyone signed up by the beginning of July to allow a full pre season of training. These are sound strategies in the circumstances and point to delete O'Connor pretty quickly.

Yates is better than most of them. Adams spent his whole Vale career bringing in fullbacks to replace him, the problem was they all ended up being worse. The question isn't is Yates good enough to be first choice right-back or left-back, but whether we can afford a better second choice fullback with our budget. Some centrehalves can cover fullback pretty well and some can't, but without knowing which ones are staying and which are coming in its hard to say if any of them can provide better cover. I'm sure we could sign better fullback cover for 80 grand a year (plus employer National Insurance on top so make it 90K!), the average salary for a div 1 player, but personally I'd rather put 50 - 60 grand in the pot toward a couple of good centrehalves and pay Yates 30k. If Page is confident of signing a good centrehalf who is also a better fullback then obviously Yates isn't needed. We don't know who Page would like to sign and Page doesn't know who he will actually sign - so whatever he decides with Yates will be a bit of a gamble. I wouldn't complain if he went or stayed as I can see the sense in either decision and we'll only know if it was the right one towards the end of next season and which players miss lots of games through injuries and what the final shape of the squad ends up being.

Page has two strategies as per Radio Stoke on Saturday. If resources are more constrained the all the money must be put in to the first eleven (risk is injuries of course). Secondly, get everyone signed up by the beginning of July to allow a full pre season of training. These are sound strategies in the circumstances and point to delete O'Connor pretty quickly.

Legally he's got 30 days from the offer of a contract, that's a long time in the summer transfer market and the best players are going to have a lot of offers early doors. Saying to the best players wait 30 days and we might offer you a contract isn't going to inspire them to sign - or even turn up for a chat.

Archived