onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

January Transfers and Rumours

werstayinup

2 hours ago, Mark-Valiant said:

IMG-20230727-WA0000.thumb.jpg.23d90b1b7db62f8139df230eb3c2c702.jpgsign my pet duck up. She's ready & raring  go. Got her own black & wide kit. She may be flat footed but she's brilliant on the wing. Will hover in the air air too in the box. Cheap signing. :classic_biggrin:

Can they score a goal or defend a goal area?  Better than the ones we currently have.  🤣

Edited by PVFC764

Advert

47 minutes ago, MBE said:

Can we please stop this narrative  where’s the money . The club made a 1 million loss to get promotion despite getting to Wembley and the record shirt sales. 
How much do you think we lost without getting to Wembley with largely the same squad last season? Uptick in attendances did not cover it. 

As for academy sales, that money is put back into the academy budget so it’s self funding and doesn’t require additional investment . This has been stated over and over again by Will Ryder and Flicker.

So the academy sales don’t actually generate any additional income for the club…they just self fund an academy? Seems a bit pointless if that is the case. 

It may have made a £1 million loss for promotion, but that was 2 seasons ago now, without also paying off Smurfwaite. Added to that being in league 1 alone adds more than £1 million in revenue. 

So yeah, I would be asking where the money is, because it certainly isn’t on the squad! 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

No doubt league one wages are higher than league two. That being said, we have less of our own players now and youth players will be on a much lower wage than the squad players of league two during our promotion season.

I think we are spending our money badly.

• Like 8

18 minutes ago, Emile said:

No doubt league one wages are higher than league two. That being said, we have less of our own players now and youth players will be on a much lower wage than the squad players of league two during our promotion season.

I think we are spending our money badly.

Better 18 year old at Premiership Clubs are often on crazy wages. We don't pay all the wage but we will have to pay an agreed wage.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Lifelongvalefan said:

I don’t understand where our money has gone given the kids that went Aston Villa and Newcastle plus other transfers the cup run play offs Wembley shirt sales we NOW need to invest in players all will be lost ,if we go down to division 2  I will not be renewing my 2 season  ticket plus parking if that happens so take a good hard look at yourself vale and look after the fans and that coming from  me a 55 years season fan 

Let me get this straight, your way of encouraging the club to invest money is to give them less money to invest?  Interesting logic.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

Let me get this straight, your way of encouraging the club to invest money is to give them less money to invest?  Interesting logic.

I pay my money to watch football all I ask is they give there all out on the pitch some players are not doing that so don’t tell me how to spend my money

33 minutes ago, JRC said:

Better 18 year old at Premiership Clubs are often on crazy wages. We don't pay all the wage but we will have to pay an agreed wage.

Not always. Sometimes they will cover the wage, a couple of grand a week is nothing to the big sides 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TJHValiant said:

So the academy sales don’t actually generate any additional income for the club…they just self fund an academy? Seems a bit pointless if that is the case.

Not if that academy in addition to self-funding itself is producing a batch of players who could make it in the first-team - Plant (already in there), Shorrock, Lomax, Walters, Dipepa, McDermott, Brazier etc.

In that case, it's producing potentially some first-team players for the club and because it's self-funding there's no outlay for those players.

BTW, I don't think all of the above will make it (that's somewhat unlikely) but one or two (perhaps more) may. 

I would also think that with the new rules about having a proportion of "homegrown" players in the squad it's essential to have an academy that is producing decent prospects.

You can wish all you want for big-name, big-money additions to the squad but the rules still state there's a limit to how many you can pick in your squad - you still need to have some club-produced talent in there. If the Academy can produce those "homegrown" kids to as high a standard as possible then that's got to be a good thing - especially if the thing that is producing them is doing so at zero cost to the club.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, robf said:

Not if that academy in addition to self-funding itself is producing a batch of players who could make it in the first-team - Plant (already in there), Shorrock, Lomax, Walters, Dipepa, McDermott, Brazier etc.

In that case, it's producing potentially some first-team players for the club and because it's self-funding there's no outlay for those players.

BTW, I don't think all of the above will make it (that's somewhat unlikely) but one or two (perhaps more) may. 

I have not been perturbed by our young players coming into the first team squad. All that I have seen have a good level of ability. But it's a step up to the men's game and, Plant aside, they need to work on developing physically. I thought Shorrock showed good progress coming on against Portsmouth. But equally what happens when you play two such players as the central midfield against a strong team was also very evident on Saturday. They get a very severe lesson in the difference between reserve / youth football and top of L1 football. 

Edited by Warren

Dipepa and lomax look way off this level at the moment to me. Walters too. All 3 need a loan move. The only one at the moment that I think is worth having in the squad in Shorrock. Plant is good enough as well obviously. No idea on Brazier have a feeling it’s all agent talk otherwise he would have been involved with us. 

Edited by valiant_593

3 hours ago, Iron Curtain said:

Of the clubs you mention, most of them are in and around us, so don’t think you can say they are competing way over and above what we are.

Of those, I could find full accounts for Exeter who made £6.4m in transfer fees over their last 2 reported financial years.

The 2 you could say that are over competing are Northampton and Stevenage.

There will always be anomalies of teams that over compete, and Northampton made £1m in transfer fees themselves.

Fair points, but are they moaning about "not being able to compete" too?

Have we effectively "spent our overdraft" and now we're having to scrimp and save to make up for it?

I just don't get it at the minute. Would love a deep dive into the finances.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1