onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Colin Garlick leaving

Doha

This comes out of the blue; a big surprise.

So we're all left wondering, speculating, and trying to make sense of this latest development.

What is the context?

How does it fit with the overall plan?

I must confess that I want more information, but I see that this desire seems to be given short shrift by a number of other posters.

I'm definitely in the camp of wanting greater transparency, as openness gives clarity. Secretiveness creates uncertainty and anxiety, hence ott reactions.

Sometimes it's right to stay quiet, other times not.

My general view of the past few months is that communication has gone downhill.

Maybe for good reasons, but yet again, I have no idea.

Frankly, I'm a bit baffled.

Advert

19 minutes ago, rayzer said:

If he was just retiring on his own terms then surely he would have done it at the end of the season which is only five weeks away. Also if it was something he was thinking about and spoken to Carol about it then surely someone would have already been at the club shadowing Colin over his last weeks and handing over his role in a timely manner. I retired on my 60th birthday and on my 59th birthday told my boss of my intentions and we then identified my successor and had in situ before I left therefore having a seamless transition.

Maybe end of. tax year?🤔I think someone will be in situ quite quickly.

9 minutes ago, SFBT said:

This comes out of the blue; a big surprise.

So we're all left wondering, speculating, and trying to make sense of this latest development.

What is the context?

How does it fit with the overall plan?

I must confess that I want more information, but I see that this desire seems to be given short shrift by a number of other posters.

I'm definitely in the camp of wanting greater transparency, as openness gives clarity. Secretiveness creates uncertainty and anxiety, hence ott reactions.

Sometimes it's right to stay quiet, other times not.

My general view of the past few months is that communication has gone downhill.

Maybe for good reasons, but yet again, I have no idea.

Frankly, I'm a bit baffled.

I don't think it's secrecy, more like (quite rightly) not feeling obliged to keep everyone aware of the day to day minutiae of running the club. Just because some fans expect it doesn't mean they have to do it.

All we need to know is as of today we're cashless and Colinless. 

Every little helps when you are looking to increase crowds and one of the easiest and cheapest is communication from the club as often as possible. Why do you think Premier League clubs are in the press virtually every day when they already have sold out stadiums? It is to keep fans on board and keep fans talking. It is what fans want and demand. Look at the amount of posts on Onevalefan. There are nowhere near as many as there used to be because we have very little to discuss. There are probably more posts after a defeat then there are during the rest of the week. Fans love to know what is going on in their club as they feel that club and fans are all one and the same and have a real sense of belonging when they feel inclusive.

Come on Vale please be more open with YOUR fans.

54 minutes ago, Granville said:

Few things here:

1) Carol is good with the media when its positive. "Championship ready" etc was a quote that seemed good at the time but has come back to bite her - maybe she's being selective with what media she does?

2) Any football club certainly would not issue a statement based on a post on a fans message board asking for more information on an issue they've made public anyway.

3) "The media" equates to Radio Stoke and The Sentinel. How many other media outlets would realistically cover our Chief Executive leaving?

4) I noticed the new Head of Media was present at the supporters club meeting. This is an appointment which had little if any announcement, so maybe there is more going on behind the scenes than we know?

I think there are three key things wanted. A successful team (accepting a relative definition of that given the club's history). The club survives and prospers. The facilities are good enough at matches. 

So a change in leadership is normal from time to time. But supporters hope the new leadership is credible in promoting / providing the above broad aims.

55 minutes ago, Granville said:

Few things here:

1) Carol is good with the media when its positive. "Championship ready" etc was a quote that seemed good at the time but has come back to bite her - maybe she's being selective with what media she does?

2) Any football club certainly would not issue a statement based on a post on a fans message board asking for more information on an issue they've made public anyway.

3) "The media" equates to Radio Stoke and The Sentinel. How many other media outlets would realistically cover our Chief Executive leaving?

4) I noticed the new Head of Media was present at the supporters club meeting. This is an appointment which had little if any announcement, so maybe there is more going on behind the scenes than we know?

The new Head  of Media was appointed in September. 

Christ it's as though the last few years have never happened !

5 years ago this weekend Ben Whitfield scored possibly the most important goal in the clubs history keeping us above Chesterfield and out of the BOTTOM TWO !

We survived covid and the Smurf and now have a football club to be proud of and the envy of many clubs outside the Premier league. 

There IS alot going on behind the scenes as with all businesses but I am struggling to find anything that Carol and Kevin have done wrong since they took over.

Colin has been top draw with everything he has done and will deserve a great reception today but at 64 maybe he wanted to reduce his hours or has been offered a new role somewhere else?

I am far from being a happy clapper but if his reason for leaving remains a secret then so be it. 

Good luck Colin and thank you.

The way I see it is this.  Carole is very keen on community and family.  That is how she promotes the club and is the attitude to the club she encourages.  I'm all for that 👍

So Colin Garlic is very much part of that family, he was the steer that got us out of the blue one's clutches and into the arms of our matriarch.  He also appears to be a very decent man we've grown to like and appreciate. 

So, when a core member of the family leaves it's understandable that the rest of the family is concerned, as much for the parting member of the family as anything. 

Which is why a more rounded press release, anticipating and addressing the family's concerns, would have been so much better. 

Thank goodness there's a match today to move on to! UTV! 

Colin Garlick isn't lost to the world and his experience is valuable. Next steps can include non executive director, governor of a public body such as a school, involvement in a charity etc. I expect he has something in mind. 

15 minutes ago, Warren said:

Colin Garlick isn't lost to the world and his experience is valuable. Next steps can include non executive director, governor of a public body such as a school, involvement in a charity etc. I expect he has something in mind. 

Colin Garlick is the latest to be sacked. We have been beset by money problems since the turn of the year. Reasons to be cheerful?

29 minutes ago, tommytunstall said:

Colin Garlick is the latest to be sacked. We have been beset by money problems since the turn of the year. Reasons to be cheerful?

Are you the management accountant? No. So you're a speculator. All well run organisations manage change well and seek improvements in economy, efficiency and effectiveness.

Thanks Colin for everything you have done.  You sounded very choked up just.  Just hope you have decided to leave for your own reasons.  

Just wish the Club would confirm he has left for his own reasons and not been pushed/sacked.

It just opens up to people coming up with their own theories, with him not waiting till the end of the season.

No money, all plans down the pan, Carol's business is in the doldrums due to the current IT world climate, therefore her main worry is with that, not PVFC , now its a case of survival and consolidation hence Garlic going, what's next ? , one thing is for certain,  there ain't anything in the coffers to ensure growth, dispare, disparity and desperation is the future.

Archived