onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Violence at games

Smugsy

9 hours ago, Brian said:

I've not seen any violence, but i've seen a few instances of 'threatening behaviour'. 

I do wonder about the fans of all clubs(including ours) who want to stand or sit near the opposition and goad them from behind the safety of a line of stewards.

I know this will provoke some, but I also think the fans who felt the need to run across the pitch to the Swindon end after the play off didnt do the club any favours. 

Is the goading not just part of the atmosphere?.

Give me Shrewsbury away next month where they are all congregated exchanging pleasantries with our fans as opposed to say Fleetwood where its the equivalent of a library. 

The chanting and goading is all posturing but adds to an atmosphere. Same at our ground.

Much prefer Bolton or Derby in town than 216 Cheltenham or Morecambe. Gives an edge and vibrance to the game. 

Advert

Ain't seen any violence mind you I don't walk down past the away fans I park close to federation Road so always walk away from potential trouble spots .
Probably is on the rise though you always get big I ams in every home and away support understandable if it was worth being part of but been banned from watching team play is it worth it that moment of madness where you see rage after maybe a disappointing performance.
No not at all
UTV

16 hours ago, darren1810 said:

Exactly. The article/ phone in is about the here and now.

I remember Sheff Utd bricking the Bycars i think in 1981. I should of rang up !!! 

What a wet wipe that Sheff Utd fan must be.

My mate was a 15 year old programme seller outside the ground at that game. He was beat up by a bunch of Sheffield supporters who jumped of a coach to do it!!!

1 hour ago, darren1810 said:

Give me Shrewsbury away next month where they are all congregated exchanging pleasantries with our fans as opposed to say Fleetwood where its the equivalent of a library. 

The chanting and goading is all posturing but adds to an atmosphere. Same at our ground.

Much prefer Bolton or Derby in town than 216 Cheltenham or Morecambe. Gives an edge and vibrance to the game. 

Too right, but heaven knows what football atmosphere will be like in 5 years time with many people's readiness to take offence at virtually anything. Chants about away fans' geographic locations or traditional industries will presumably be "regionalist" and some kind of hate crime! 

The home atmosphere isn't helped by the unnecessary distance between home and away fans. If l was a visiting supporter I'd be unimpressed by being shoved into a corner as they are.  

51 minutes ago, Gooders said:

My mate was a 15 year old programme seller outside the ground at that game. He was beat up by a bunch of Sheffield supporters who jumped of a coach to do it!!!

Sheffield United fans are scum, they attacked my car with my Brother who was 14 and his friends the same age when we drew 0-0 the year we both went up. I got out and lamped a couple but took a kicking as there was about 20 of them. Their fans don’t seem to have changed to this day, won’t go 1 on 1.

52 minutes ago, smithie said:

Too right, but heaven knows what football atmosphere will be like in 5 years time with many people's readiness to take offence at virtually anything. Chants about away fans' geographic locations or traditional industries will presumably be "regionalist" and some kind of hate crime! 

The home atmosphere isn't helped by the unnecessary distance between home and away fans. If l was a visiting supporter I'd be unimpressed by being shoved into a corner as they are.  

Seems a lot worse to many because it has become such a middle class sport with more and more families attending so any event seems so much worse. Trouble at football has never disappeared, just comes out less frequently.

16 hours ago, Conrad said:

Handbags compared to the West Ham cup game this week in 1973.Actually 50 years ago today.

I remember that game. Got there early and settled down in the Bycars when a horde of West Ham supporters somehow got in and charged towards us, threatening to break our necks. We legged it pretty sharpish, jumped over the wall and took refuge in the Lorne Street. Somehow the stewards restored order and we eventually got back in. Never seen such violence before or since, which has coloured my view of Hammers fans for life. 

I think the problem is that some see making wnkr signs and chanting <ovf censored> at opposition fans as creating an atmosphere. Unfortunately it does but not the sort of atmosphere most want to sign up to. Atmosphere should be created by chants/songs (potentially borderline) rather than just screaming profanities at the top of your voice and making hand gestures . People who want to add to the atmosphere are put off as they don't want to be associated with the pond life that consider calling opposition <ovf censored> as a good atmosphere.

6 hours ago, darren1810 said:

100% agree darren all makes for a good atmosphere 

21 hours ago, Playa Amodores said:

Geoff, tbh it gave those in the away end a chance to get as far away from the buffoons as quick as possible. They weren’t any different when I attended a game at Maine Road. I explained to the local constabulary that I needed to get to my car and needed to walk through the idiots and I was told, 

‘Thats your problem’

had the same at hull/rochdale and lincoln in the past utv😉

4 hours ago, CambridgeDon said:

I remember that game. Got there early and settled down in the Bycars when a horde of West Ham supporters somehow got in and charged towards us, threatening to break our necks. We legged it pretty sharpish, jumped over the wall and took refuge in the Lorne Street. Somehow the stewards restored order and we eventually got back in. Never seen such violence before or since, which has coloured my view of Hammers fans for life. 

remember it well, chisels tapped together and chucked into the vale fans. ah those were the days eh?😃

7 hours ago, CambridgeDon said:

Must be the passage of time, I don’t remember any stewards and can’t remember order being restored at all, it was like the Alamo.

8 hours ago, CambridgeDon said:

Police would of restored order, no stewards at any games in those days . I remember the  hammers fans came in the bycars,bit of a stand off ,then a free for all until police got in the middle,but the fighting went on all through the game . Got me thinking when did stewards first start at vale games ,I would say in the bill bell era when the police bill was outrageous 

Archived