onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Violence at games

Smugsy

Advert

14 hours ago, Loggerheads Sage said:

Wrexham,  was that when 20000 turned up.  5000 vale.  Weren't we first and second in the league.   

Actually I think that was earlier than that?    Was horrendous outside 

Most games v stoke were the same

I think you’re thinking of 1969, LS.(unless you aren’t that old)Carnage at half time in the home end.Record 4th Division crowd at the time.Vale had gone 19 games undefeated from the start of the season.1-1 Tommy Mac scorer for Vale.

19 hours ago, valefan16 said:

Worst I’ve seen in my time going Vale was Wrexham away in 2003ish?

Was carnage, not sure what triggered it, we were top and lost to a controversial penalty and had what seemed a decent goal ruled out if I recall, but afterwards it was rough.

The police blocked the road leading to the station, Vale and Wrexham fans met in a street behind the main road, which the police had set up a camera in. Suspicious or what?  

10 hours ago, Howjy04 said:

I think you’re thinking of 1969, LS.(unless you aren’t that old)Carnage at half time in the home end.Record 4th Division crowd at the time.Vale had gone 19 games undefeated from the start of the season.1-1 Tommy Mac scorer for Vale.

You're right mate, thanks.  I thought whilst posting, I've got this wrong, or was earlier. 

And yes, I am that old, lol

Hard to say whether there is more violence, but there's certainly more "trying to be a tough hooligan". A bunch of Two-Can Van Dammes who've seen what Eastern European knuckle draggers do at their matches and think its cool: flares, banners, wearing all black, wearing masks, attacking groups of away fans - all in their fake Stone Island and CP Company goggles. Then they see what other sets of fans do and try "out hooligan" then. Truly pathetic (hopefully they won't fancy being neo-n*zi too)

Eg. The six or seven drunken youths on Saturday in the above clothing singing Telford songs at Stoke Station to a platform full of disinterested people whilst trying to smash a vending machine on their way to.... Buxton FC. Hardly "Leiga Warsaw away" but you could tell they wanted to cause some trouble because it sounds cool.

Record 4th Div crowd, 1961 Palace v Millwall 37,774. Imagine that.

In general football supporters are at much less risk from violence than in the 1970's and 1980's. Factors in this include the renewal of grounds with seating and them being made more hospitable places. Policing is much more effective as well. I think there are significantly more women and children attending as a result. However, that is not to diminish there is risk around grounds and at away games when travelling independently. Care is always needed to assess the environment you are in. For example, at train stations. I sometimes think striking up chat with other fans breaks the ice at Longport, but that is not to say that is always the right approach. Sometimes more distance is the answer!

Had to laugh last season as we were heading back to the car after playing Tranmere away. A crowd of about 20 young Tranmere fans all dressed in black, each being 9 stone and about 14 or 15 had gathered close to where we were walking. They were goading the Vale fans, provoking one Vale fan to shout, “ F*** off, you’’ll be in school on Monday” The reply really amused me as one of the Tranmere fans shouted back, “we won’t it’s half term”

That’s about all the violence I saw last season.

Archived