onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Violence at games

Smugsy

1 hour ago, Conrad said:

Must be the passage of time, I don’t remember any stewards and can’t remember order being restored at all, it was like the Alamo.

Could well be my faulty memory about the stewards but order of some sort was definitely restored because I got back into the Bycars and stood there for the rest of the game. Really rough though, never seen such violent supporters. Those were the days.

Advert

I remember that game. Got there early and settled down in the Bycars when a horde of West Ham supporters somehow got in and charged towards us, threatening to break our necks. We legged it pretty sharpish, jumped over the wall and took refuge in the Lorne Street. Somehow the stewards restored order and we eventually got back in. Never seen such violence before or since, which has coloured my view of Hammers fans for life. 
Went that game, deffo no stewards back in the day. Think there were about 10 police versus 800 or so vale and west ham lads. 2 cockneys stabbed. Oh, and we lost 1 0. Gordon lee said west ham were lucky. Ron greenwood said, yes we were lucky, to get out alive!

2 hours ago, bertiepee said:

Police would of restored order, no stewards at any games in those days . I remember the  hammers fans came in the bycars,bit of a stand off ,then a free for all until police got in the middle,but the fighting went on all through the game . Got me thinking when did stewards first start at vale games ,I would say in the bill bell era when the police bill was outrageous 

I would agree Bello era and say possibly very early 90’s, maybe as a result of the Taylor report?

I have been punched at Wolves, Bury fans attempted to intimidate and chase me, Coppers at Chester station threw me across a platform. All totally unprovoked. It is balmy, just because of a game. It is brilliant here that opposing fans walk down the road together.

This season Bolton fans were attempted to kick off with Vale on Hamil road, then I saw a Vale fan grappling with a Pompey fan. These guys don't have two brain cells to rub together.

A strong memory I have of vermin is away at Turf Moor in the 90’s, possibly 80’s, watching numerous parents encourage their young kids to spit and throw objects at us through the wire mesh fence separating the two sets of fans.  Obviously the adults weren’t brave enough to get close enough to do it themselves.

I stayed over in Barnsley after the game this season. Port Vale's white van made off from the ground into the crowd of Barnsley supporters. I was walking on my own behind it. This at some clubs had massive potential for trouble. There was none and gave me confidence that I could go a drink where I had a good chat with some Barnsley fans. It's many years since I was last in Barnsley - on business that time. But it has a good shopping centre, pubs and cafes. Excellent experience.

On 13/01/2023 at 20:25, Conrad said:

Handbags compared to the West Ham cup game this week in 1973.Actually 50 years ago today.

Yes West Ham tried to take the Bycars as was the norm in the 70s away fans trying to take home ends, but were met with ferocious opposition and failed .my first ever away game in the 76/77 season I think, vale took Wrexhams kop outright,we have never been angels .🤦‍♂️

I was at the West Ham game in 73 in the railway paddock after playing rugby at Longton High school on the Saturday morning still got the scar on my knee West Ham had a large group just below the old Tea Bar. Turning the clock forward to 1981 IWest Ham are playing Stoke I'm in the Corner Cupboard pub few West Ham in there and asked if I'm going the game. I said I'm Vale who were playing at Mansfield away they said prety rough your fans are. I said yes but not many of us. They said all West Ham older boys respected us because they went in every teams end that season and we were only a few who had a go back at them

17 minutes ago, valefan16 said:

Worst I’ve seen in my time going Vale was Wrexham away in 2003ish?

Was carnage, not sure what triggered it, we were top and lost to a controversial penalty and had what seemed a decent goal ruled out if I recall, but afterwards it was rough.

Few got sent prison for that day 

41 minutes ago, valefan16 said:

Worst I’ve seen in my time going Vale was Wrexham away in 2003ish?

Was carnage, not sure what triggered it, we were top and lost to a controversial penalty and had what seemed a decent goal ruled out if I recall, but afterwards it was rough.

Was a great episode of Sky Cops or some other Police camera show though

Archived