onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Milton Keynes v Port Vale

Fosse69

I thought we were the better team in the first half, although we never looked like we were going to score. 

I'm a bit worried about how easily they scored. It was a long way out. He wasn't closed down quickly enough and I thought the keeper could have done better. 

The changes in the team line-up made it feel like an experimental "pre-season" game. 

I hope Woz and Wilson are back soon. 

I know it's (very) early days in the season, but I see Burton as one of the teams we have to finish above if we want to stay up. Unless we sharpen up in the final third and start taking our chances (as we are creating chances) then it's going to be a bottom six relegation-fighting season. 

UTV!

Advert

Both goals should have being blocked the second goal especially mind you have to ask where Conlon was on there first goal I should imagine that Bradley Johnson a good 36 years old odd .so how's he get away young lad like Conlon the second deary me a wall and not a brave man in it Shambles .
Away forms a massive concern Walsall 2 Vale 0 Swindon 2- Vale 1 Exeter O Vale 1 Exeter 4 Vale 0 and Mk Don's 2 Vale 1 so that's 4 out of 5 defeats our S.V.A have had to endure .
Maybe our players can only play at home if so we need fill squad up with players who can do the business home and away this away form needs to improve tenfold .
At present it puts us in danger of being with the dead men come season end .
This league is unforgiving we need to improve and quickly .
No point pointing the finger at Hussey either wasn't his man who banged 2 goals in and the 5 minute spell before he was replaced he drove one just wide set up Robinson for a tap in from 2 yards which he somehow do not know how put it wrong side of post and put a fine ball into the back post with Ellis Harrison tried for some unknown reason to chest it in .
Robinson was good liked his endeavour .Big question marks over the drive and want to win of the midfield though and Harrison generally was no where near as good as he was Bolton.
Forrester was solid enough replacing him cost us the second goal as the player who moved into his position Smith was done by a long ball turning a nothing ball into one which put all the back line in trouble .
OK Jones made the challenge but he'd only just come on and anyway it looked like there player dived.
Lets hope brighter days are on the horizon away from VP.

There were six points for the taking over the last two matches and we've ended up with one. We played against ten men for 60 minutes on Saturday and didn't have the creativity to trouble them, and we played against a terrified, confidence shot side for 30 minutes last night and didn't have the creativity to trouble them.

It's a worrying trend but we always knew August was going to be difficult with the lack of preparation for this season. That's a dig rather than an excuse, by the way.

Going forward, Holden and Proctor are nowhere near the level. We know that it takes Wilson a month to get back into stride, which leaves Harrison leading the line until October. Yikes.

Well if thats the best of L1 we have absolutely nothing to fear.

I thought we were decent last night without looking too much of a goal threat in open play. Hussey had an excellent game last night and his delivery was superb. Perhaps could have done better with his volley chance in the 2nd half but when he was subbed I felt we lost our impetus.

We do have a few too many players still struggling for fitness and it does feel like we are still very much in pre season mode.

As good as the Stevens played Sat I thought he really struggled last night. I felt he should have done better with both goals and his distribution was questionable -hopefully he can put that right.

Despite the defeat I think there are lots of reasons to be positive. Conlon is getting better by the minute, and with Wozza,Wilson and Massey to come into this team I think we will see a big difference with this team and be a comfortable mid table team.

On to Burton Sat. I feel its a big game. I know it's early doors but we need to get that away win to settle us down and maintain confidence.

There were six points for the taking over the last two matches and we've ended up with one. We played against ten men for 60 minutes on Saturday and didn't have the creativity to trouble them, and we played against a terrified, confidence shot side for 30 minutes last night and didn't have the creativity to trouble them.
It's a worrying trend but we always knew August was going to be difficult with the lack of preparation for this season. That's a dig rather than an excuse, by the way.
Going forward, Holden and Proctor are nowhere near the level. We know that it takes Wilson a month to get back into stride, which leaves Harrison leading the line until October. Yikes.

So you think we won’t bring in more forwards then ?

20 minutes ago, vale victory said:

So you think we won’t bring in more forwards then ?

The Matrix were happy to start the season playing a 17 year old midfielder up front rather than buy one, so perhaps they'll be happy to go with what we've got until January and see.

12 minutes ago, jjvale_03 said:

The Matrix were happy to start the season playing a 17 year old midfielder up front rather than buy one, so perhaps they'll be happy to go with what we've got until January and see.

Not convinced they were happy. 

And yes, they/ we might have to accept less than ideal if things don't come off.

Still 2 weeks to go.

Having the season start a month before the window shuts certainly creates alot of uncertainty.

Never good to post when angry so after the journey home and a drenching after the match I'll have my two penneth. 

I understand all about the heat on Saturday ( same for all 92 clubs ). But we are not Man City, we can't swap Foden for Mahrez or Stones for Dias. We have to go as strong as we can. You can't pick and choose which games to prioritise. If we have done so with an eye on Burton that's disrespectful to them. MK were woeful, clearly no confidence, there for the taking, zero points, zero goals until the Port Vale benevolent society turn up. 

Hussey having his finest 10 minutes in a Vale shirt, some fantastic balls in, nearly scored ,then he's hooked !! Keep hearing about fitness, why isn't he fit, his injury was in May for goodness sake.

So many players weren't at it and then lo and behold we get a goal and see two of the most pathetic corners possible from Conlon. Mind numbingly awful corners .

A completely wasted night and hard earned money. 

I usually hope I'm balanced on here and not a happy clapper or a moaning Minnie but that was a garbage evening with two limited sides.

Great following too, didn't give a figure, I just walked off apathetic into the monsoon couldn't even be arsed to clap .

8 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

I understand all about the heat on Saturday ( same for all 92 clubs ). But we are not Man City, we can't swap Foden for Mahrez or Stones for Dias. We have to go as strong as we can. You can't pick and choose which games to prioritise. If we have done so with an eye on Burton that's disrespectful to them. MK were woeful, clearly no confidence, there for the taking, zero points, zero goals until the Port Vale benevolent society turn up. 

I think I agree but I suppose we can't complain that we don't manage the players fitness, resulting in a high number of injuries and at the same time complain when we attempt to do just that.

3 minutes ago, wotsyobeef said:

I think I agree but I suppose we can't complain that we don't manage the players fitness, resulting in a high number of injuries and at the same time complain when we attempt to do just that.

Shouldn’t be needing to do that by the 4th league game though. Injuries haven’t improved since the previous manager even though DC gave a damning review of the medical team back then. 

Also, what we’re the tactics last night? 
Holden starting based on what? Surely not on his previous showings and in the front 3 as well. Then, the ‘front’ 3. At some points all 3 were in their own half, and I noticed Harrison quite often was wide left and Holden through the middle. Subs, Hussey isn’t like on here but he was our best player and our one outlet for creating chances. Take him off for Small who did very little who is then moved to RWB? 

Its clear as day that we aren’t at the required fitness levels yet, which is extremely disappointing and just shows the poor transfer window and pre season. I keep saying it but for me Walker has to play, he’s our best passer of the ball and imo Conlon was very poor last night (along with Holden and Garrity) Keeper was very poor as well  

I think we might need 3 more attacking players as we have Wilson who is regularly injured, Harrison ok so far, Proctor regularly injured and looks like this is above his level so far and a 17 year old midfielder up top who has suddenly vanished from the squad. 

I think we’re short up top still, short on match fitness and DC and co just go tactics completely off last night. We also seem to have a lot of depth in the wing back positions, too much depth almost and then a complete lack up top / in attacking positions. All of our forwards are very similar. 

Really frustrating performance and result as they looked a really poor side that were there for the taking. Brilliant away following that as well. Been Mk twice and wouldn’t go again so credit to everyone. 

12 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

Shouldn’t be needing to do that by the 4th league game though. Injuries haven’t improved since the previous manager even though DC gave a damning review of the medical team back then. 

Have to agree--a point I made halfway through last season-- a bit of if you live in a glass house don't throw stones!  Injuries do of course happen in all levels of football, but DC's original critical comments of the previous management team meant he was always going to be a hostage to fortune.

1 hour ago, MBE said:

We do have a few too many players still struggling for fitness and it does feel like we are still very much in pre season mode.

It's not surprising.  Our season finished 4 weeks later than everyone else's, and the new season was the earliest start ever. 

Add to that the fact that, until the PO Final was won we couldn't really recruit, plus DC's teams have a reputation as slow starters. 

That's why we are where we are, as they say.  Hopefully, another month or do and things will look a bit brighter. 

We've got to keep the faith! 

Archived