Match Thread: Stevenage v Port Vale

The King’s Lynn loss followed by what happened against Tranmere has absolutely destroyed us. We have gone from being 2-0 up against Tranmere, cruising, whilst on the cusp of automatic promotion to now this. 

The belief and confidence has gone. We are a good team when we are riding a wave and with momentum (as last season showed). This is when players like Burgess, Worrall, Montano, Clark and I could go on, look like decent players. When our backs are against the wall we crumble. No one takes the game by the scruff and drives everyone through the game. It was plain to see that we were never getting back in to that game. 

The lack of creativity and quality in the final third is especially worrying. At least lay a glove on the opposition.

I feel gutted and angry tonight as all the positivity around the club in the last 12 months seems to have drained away. I really thought that this could be a new era but we have fallen back to ‘typical Port Vale’.

Edited by SuperHuman

• Replies 690
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Don't talk rubbish, Tyler.  It's just that I'm considerably older than most of you lot and so I've seen all this before.  That's why I don't think we're going to win the league every time we get three

Even worse, I think you could argue that our best 11 contains 10 players that Askey inherited; Brown Gibbons Legge Smith Clark Oyeleke Joyce Conlon Amoo Pope Worrall Add this

Tonight was a culmination of several weeks. We're just, fundamentally, not a playoff side. Yes, we had suspensions and absences. Stevenage had won 4 in 49 before tonight, and 1 so far this s

Posted Images

Just now, grand prix pants said:

It’s all well and good blaming Askey but what would YOU have done?/ Who else is there?/ At least Smurf isn’t here/ Why the negativity??

Something is wrong in the club, it has to be. Even with the players missing we are expected to win this. We were dreadful. You can see that?, No?

Adding another striker just takes another player out of the game. Our fbs are frustrating the hell out of me. It's them who are insisting, or being told, not to run nor commit, but launch it. Really p1ssing me off.

Are the players trying anymore seems a common question now.  They used to run themselves into the ground at the start of the season.  Now they don't seem too bothered now.
You wonder if they are fed up with playing "Plan A" tactics.

Tonight McKirdy had his chance to force his way into the first 11.  Did he take it - no.
Robinson also had his chance, but was not given the service to score.  Shows he also needs help up front like Cullen.

Advert:

Advert:

Tonight was a culmination of several weeks. We're just, fundamentally, not a playoff side.

Yes, we had suspensions and absences.

Stevenage had won 4 in 49 before tonight, and 1 so far this season. Not only did they win, but they battered us, missing several good chances and restricting us to a flukey potshot out of desperation.

We have lost 5 senior consecutive fixtures; 1 to Kings Lynn, 2 to sides who started the game in 23rd, and 2 in the 96th minute in shambolic circumstances. Managers have been sacked for far less.

Tonight wasn't circumstance, or luck; we got outplayed by a poor side, looking devoid of energy and ideas. 

Askey's recruitment has been atrocious; his tactics seem to have been worked out; the players seem lost. He came in in a dark time for Port Vale, dragged us to safety whilst we removed Norman, and then got us trending upwards. I'm grateful for that.

However, sometimes even great managers reach the end of their time at a club. You shake their hand, thank them for their service, accept the ceiling has been reached, and you both move on, having mutually benefitted from your time together. Micky walked after 6 defeats, just after our highest finish since 2005 and the most improbable promotion in the club's history.

Askey has 5 on the bounce, in truly humiliating circumstances. I shake his hand, thank him for his service, and we part ways.

• Like 8

I’ve turned. I was all up for giving Askey a few more games, but I can’t stomach having zero shots on target against a team 2nd from bottom until Rodney’s goal out of nowhere. The manner of that defeat was diabolical, and one of a condemned manager. 

Askey has wasted all of his summer signings, and made us a worse team. He had a brilliant opportunity, but unfortunately through HIS decisions, has <ovf censored> it up. 

I thank Askey for saving us from relegation and stabilising us, but he has taken us as far as he can. He has to go. Please Carol, do the right thing. 

• Like 2

Carol won't sack Askey. It's not her style. Askey won't walk. He's got a lovely job just down the road, with sensible owners. 

Settle in folks. I think he stays till the end of the season minimum.

• Like 4

Advert:

After Saturday didn't watch tonight but this was just an abject performance. That's five consecutive defeats including non-league King's Lynn and Askey is now on thin ice. Mickey walked after six consecutive defeats and Bruno walked after a run of 4 defeats and two draws, so Orient is a massive game for Askey. 

To all intents and purposes, it looks to me as though he has lost it with the players - tactics, motivation, game management, team selection - they are playing like they no longer have any confidence in him. It reminds of me of Lamouchi at Forest who took them to the play offs last season, lost the game and then lost the players' confidence. He couldn't get a win from them either in pre-season or when the season started and when that happens, it's time to go. 

It looks to me as if Askey has taken this group of players as far as he can. The players bear some responsibility because we have no leadership on the pitch but these are his players and it doesn't look as if he can organise and motivate them any longer.

Not quite at the sacking point for me but, if we lose on Saturday in what is a relatively easy home fixture, it's over - because once we get into a vortex of defeat it will be very, very difficult to get out of it. 

"When our backs are against the wall we crumble."  That's what bothers me most - big physical teams intimidate us, yet never seem to get a man sent off.  We do. There is no fight. I mean, just scrap it out lads, have some pride in the shirt!  I wouldn't mind if this was a low point after which we turned things around, but looking across the team, I just can't see it.  Can't work out if it is the players, the system, fitness, but we don't seem to have it at present.  I guess another season of dented dreams.

After Saturday didn't watch tonight but this was just an abject performance. That's five consecutive defeats including non-league King's Lynn and Askey is now on thin ice. Mickey walked after six consecutive defeats and Bruno walked after a run of 4 defeats and two draws, so Orient is a massive game for Askey. 
To all intents and purposes, it looks to me as though he has lost it with the players - tactics, motivation, game management, team selection - they are playing like they no longer have any confidence in him. It reminds of me of Lamouchi at Forest who took them to the play offs last season, lost the game and then lost the players' confidence. He couldn't get a win from them either in pre-season or when the season started and when that happens, it's time to go. 
It looks to me as if Askey has taken this group of players as far as he can. The players bear some responsibility because we have no leadership on the pitch but these are his players and it doesn't look as if he can organise and motivate them any longer.
Not quite at the sacking point for me but, if we lose on Saturday in what is a relatively easy home fixture, it's over - because once we get into a vortex of defeat it will be very, very difficult to get out of it. 

Easy home fixture Saturday- don’t think so, Orient are above us