Match Thread: Newport County v Port Vale

7 minutes ago, blackdog said:

He was on loan last season from Southend at Colchester and ended up leading scorer with 12 from 28 games.

Do we have a player capable of that this season ?

You mentioned Southend not Colchester. Who finished in the play offs so scored 12 in a good side with players like nouble. I think pope should get to that tally. Cullen looks off it this season. Rodney very raw so can’t see those two reaching double figures. I’d be shocked if Robinson gets 5 league goals for us. 

Currently has 3 league goals in 24 for us. Overall his record is poor as well. I’ve said it loads but I think askeys signings are nothing short of dreadful - most got released at the end of last season and the ones signed are no better than those released. 

• Replies 570
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The usual over reaction on here We had plenty of chances today and yes we struggle to put them away but for me it was an improvement on Tuesdays game and an attacking set up from Askey when we could

Facts We have lost three league games on the bounce each by a single goal despite playing a considerable time with ten men in two of the games. We still sit just outside the play offs in 9th. So

THIS ISN'T AN ASKEY OUT POST BUT I AM GOING TO BE CRITICAL.  Sick and tired of this football club. The evidence is fairly irrefutable that John Askey's Port Vale concede in the last minute a

Posted Images

A thought experiment for you all.

Picture 12/13 Micky Adams is manager. The bloke who put the entire squad on the transfer list after a 3-1 defeat to a rampant, league winning Notts County. Who would boot players into touch (Morsy, Burge, Roberts) at the first sign of a problem, rightly or wrongly.

How would he react to consistently conceding late goals (consolidating a solid year of it happening repeatedly), silly avoidable reds, getting knocked out of the cup by a non-league side, all within a fortnight of each other? How would he react to 4 defeats in 5 (4 on the bounce if you're not counting beating literal children?).

I don't think he'd say we were unlucky and we go again, covering the issue up and blaming it all on Lady Fortune and her whimsical ways.

Edited by Joe B

25 minutes ago, Saphenous said:

You can't keep changing our manager....that means new players, new formations and upheaval. Changing manager risks upsetting the season so far. Agreed we've lost today but we're playing a top 6 team, on their own ground. FFS do you think we're entitled to win every match? 

Advert:

7 minutes ago, Joe B said:

THIS ISN'T AN ASKEY OUT POST BUT I AM GOING TO BE CRITICAL. 

Sick and tired of this football club.

The evidence is fairly irrefutable that John Askey's Port Vale concede in the last minute at a far higher rate than other clubs. We could all list the times in the past year in which this club has punched us in the gut.

Is it just a load of bad luck? Is it poor game management? Is it mentally switching off? Is it panicking under a bit of anticipated pressure in a game of football? Fitzpatrick should have received a shout and not out it behind. We should have closed the Tranmere player down. These are avoidable errors, consistently made in the 96th minute with points on the line. And they've occurred throughout Askey's tenure, whether they are attributable to him or otherwise.

I'm not sure. We weren't awful today but Newport edged it. The fact that we all knew the goal was coming should summarise how this current setup feels. The red card was spot on and, once more, we failed to see it out, as we always do. Two red cards in three. What's going on?

6 defeats. Only had 7 all last year. Another Saturday of Crewe and Stoke fans laughing at us, for the third time in a fortnight. We're as close to 13th as we are to the playoffs currently, with Legge, Joyce, Pope, and probably Amoo out for Tuesday. We're out of both cups and were embarrassed by Kings Lynn a mere fortnight ago, and have lost three in the league since in similarly infuriating fashion. 

It's all immaterial. Until we learn to see out games, avoid red cards, and create better chances, we aren't getting out of this league. We can bemoan bad luck, 'dust ourselves down and go again', and pat ourselves on the back that we had 3 shots on target instead of 1, but this is getting silly.

Some good points .....

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Saphenous said:

You can't keep changing our manager....that means new players, new formations and upheaval. Changing manager risks upsetting the season so far. Agreed we've lost today but we're playing a top 6 team, on their own ground. FFS do you think we're entitled to win every match? 

Yeah and we lost to 2nd bottom at home in the week and a pub side the week before. 

What would it upset? We’re not exactly flying are we

2 minutes ago, Old fort said:

How did Adams react to losing six on the bounce?

Got sacked/resigned. Askey's on 4, if we avoid the Liverpool game which was against 18 year olds. He'd also guided us to an improbable promotion on naff all money 18 months before, but the time was right.

Edited by Joe B

Advert:

We all know what Askey is coming out with in his after match chat.  Oh well, it was hard to take - another goal in the last minute of injury time.  We will pick them up for the next match.  

What he really means is.  I have not got a clue on tactics, subs and the players wonder what subs I will bring on at the later stages of the match.

Please prove us all wrong, I used to think you could do it at Vale Park.  Know I am wondering if your tactics are not working anymore as teams playing against Vale know you will only play 1 up front.  We just need to mark them out of the game.  You use the subs late in to the game normally, where they can't really change the game, as there is only 15 minutes left to play.

I can only see more and more people calling for your head, as we are bound to carry on this bad run and just be a middle of the league club.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Joe B said:

It's all immaterial. Until we learn to see out games, avoid red cards, and create better chances, we aren't getting out of this league. We can bemoan bad luck, 'dust ourselves down and go again', and pat ourselves on the back that we had 3 shots on target instead of 1, but this is getting silly.

I think 'we go again' will definitely be on the Askey/Kevan bingo card tonight.

It's not so much the game today that has disappointed me, it's more the macro stuff that has gone on since the summer.

It mainly boils down to poor business in the transfer market, strengthening the squad rather than the first team. None of the summer signings have particularly impressed or grabbed their chance with both hands. Pope is a veteran and the other three strikers are a bit meh. Robinson has been a disappointment, Rodney is hot and cold (very cold today).

Edited by Santa

Just now, Santa said:

I think 'we go again' will definitely be on the Askey/Kevan bingo card tonight.

It's not so much the game today that has disappointed me, it's more the macro stuff that has gone on since the summer.

Mainly poor business in the transfer market, strengthening the squad rather than the first team. None of the summer signings have particularly impressed or grabbed their chance in the team with both hands. Pope is a veteran and the other three strikers are a bit meh.

Askey's transfer dealings have been largely poor. The best 11 is still mostly a side he inherited. Our best players certainly are.

Advert:

Just now, Conrad said:

Conlon was a half time sub, so the game wasn’t stopped for his substitution.

We have a manager, who the only time he was in league management got sacked after a few months. He cost us against Tranmere for not using a sub in the 90th minute. Never used subs to good effect, if he uses them at all.  Give him untill Christmas like most on here want too (but we wont then be anywhere near promotion)  Then we can see where we are

• Like 1