onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Newport County v Port Vale

Fosse69

3 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

Loads of folk on here were pleased when we signed Cullen after his strike rate last season which was about second in the division. 

Cullen is being played by himself - also other strikers when he is not being used.  The opposing managers know this and just tell their defenders to mark him out of the game - they are willing to put 2 defenders on our striker.  Their manager chat to defenders would probably run along the lines of "Askey only has one tactic and that is hoof the ball into the box.  If we taken Cullen out, he can't score". 

Cullen plays better when he has another striker up front with him.  He is not a 1 striker player and needs better service/help from other Vale players when he is played by himself.  He does a lot of running off the ball, but just gets bullied off the ball in the box.

Advert

4 minutes ago, onestepatatime said:
15 minutes ago, Joe B said:
I'll leave it with the comment of a well-informed neutral who watched us against Tranmere, and described us as 'nice', which is about the sum of it.

GOALS win games. We haven't got the capacity or personnel to score enough goals. Blatantly obvious last season. Nowt has changed this. We can play all the "nice" tippey tappey football we like BUT we will NOT score enough to get us out of this Division.

Our strikers wont score many, as they are played up front by themselves and opposing managers just put 2 defenders on them.

I’m losing confidence In the Askey project I’m afraid to say.

We have not learned a single thing from last year when conceding late goals was also our Achilles heel and ultimately cost us big time.

Again we’ve failed to score from open play. Again we’ve questioned the team (Cullen loan striker). Again the substitutions (Legge was always going to get a 2nd yellow so should have been protected). We just are not learning.

I agree that some senior players are seriously, seriously letting him and the club down but I think anything other than a win vs Stevenage to try and get the season back on track and I’ll be in the ‘out’ camp. 

30 minutes ago, PortVale4Life said:

legge should have been nowhere near that team. He shouldve been dropped weeks ago. Robinson. Is askey taking the mic? He’s proven he’s no good up front so now we’re trying him out wide when we have one of the best players in the league sat warming the bench again.

If you thought Robinson was playing out wide I suggest you watch the match again. Rodney had gone quite and looked like he over stretched for the ball so was taken off quickly.Robinson took up that position simply to defend the throw in which they had. We actually went positive to play 442 to win the game with Cullen dropping a little deeper to pick up Dolan coming out with the ball but the sending off obviously changed that plan.

What Robinson actually did was provide us with some height defending corners and he ran the channels from a central position chasing lost causing. Don't know what more you would expect from Robinson in that situation.

54 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

Ok with the assistance of hindsight tell me what you would have done after Legge was sent off. 

1 he wouldnt be starting today his perfomances have been bad for weeks 2) mckirdy would of started as he has the abulity to carry the ball and beat a man which id say is vital for away perfomances having someone who can do that- if not starting he woule of been on at half time for the two donkeys theo and devante both are utter garbage and offer nothing. 3)maybe change formation as we have clearly been worked out playing 433

Archived