Match Thread: Port Vale v Carlisle United

22 minutes ago, Powerline said:

Whitehead is absolutely awful 

Worst player on the pitch today. Almost got himself sent off in the first half and in the second, when perfectly placed, he sent a shot from the edge of the D into the stands. Then with probably our last chance to send a good free kick into the box, it doesn't even clear the first defender. Can't blame the lad really, he was having a mare, but by that time Askey should have subbed him. 

• Like 5

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You’ve both got that wrong, I’m afraid. I’ve just found it in my back garden.... I live in Manchester. I think Askey told him to score in the Cerlisle goal and thought he meant Brunton Park.

It’s a pity Pope isn’t as good as he thinks he is 

Do you really think playing two in midfield and allowing Guy the freedom of the park as a result did not contribute to our defeat??

3 minutes ago, TylerB said:

I’ve given up on everything and everyone to be honest. I’m gonna become a Buddhist and knock football on it’s head. <ovf censored> it.

Nice knowing you all.

Until next week😀

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

That was the formations fault apparently 

Do you really think playing two in midfield and allowing Guy the freedom of the park as a result did not contribute to our defeat??

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, onestepatatime said:
16 minutes ago, philmpv said:
So this is the third or fourth time already this season that people have said how toothless up top. All with different strikers, including one whom most of you cry is the best striker in the league and another who seems to be able to score for any other team he plays for. Can we now agree that the issue is not the strikers, but the service. All hoofball again today. When will we learn?

Spot on. Without any kind of service how can we either score goals or win matches. Far too many players today were clueless. Without Oyeleke we have no vision or guile. However the glaring conclusion is that whoever we play up front will struggle with the non existent ideas from midfield. Opponents know totally how to play against Vale and until the management realise that, we will struggle.

Totally agree the midfield lacks any quality and askeys signings again are poor to say the least whitehead must be related in some way that’s the only reason I can see why he starts 

22 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

Terrible performance.  As an armchair manager I'd say JA got the team completely wrong but no excusing some of the performances, particularly after they scored.

No idea why so many changes, at least we've looked solid 433 in previous games even if we weren't creating much. With Oyeleke out we don't have the players in midfield to go 442.  Carlisle were given the freedom of the park.  Their midfield won't have an easier game.

That's the problem right there.

Best player at the club

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

Our midfield is crap without oleyeke. Said it all transfer window and all season. 

To be fair you called it and I was someone saying we are fine there. But Whitehead looks woeful, Burgess looks a none league player suddenly and Oyeleke is Oyeleke-ing.

3 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

I think missing an open goal and a penalty were much bigger factors! Score them we win. End of. 

• Like 2

The worst Vale performance in the last 15 months. The organization, team work and pattern of play so evident under JA were just not there. Vale lost that game in midfield, we were overrun and there was no Luke Joyce at the base of the midfield protecting the back four and controlling the game.

Couldn't understand Pope off and Robinson remaining on as for the last 30 mins the ball was just pumped up to Robinson and Rodney anyway.  Whitehead is no Jake Taylor, Vale will miss him big time.

1 minute ago, TylerB said:

To be fair you called it and I was someone saying we are fine there. But Whitehead looks woeful, Burgess looks a none league player suddenly and Oyeleke is Oyeleke-ing.

I’m actually thinking it’s worse than I thought back then as well as I was expecting burgess and whitehead to be much better than this b

Conlon and Joyce are fine, need more creativity but they’re fine. Manny is class but never plays. Burgess good last season, Dosent look up to it this year and whitehead was the unknown. He seems way off it. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TylerB said:

Burgess needs to be in a team that supports his assets which are in the final third attacking and scoring goals. Today he has been given the wrong role. Then on top of that Whitehead has come in for Joyce and has a fraction of his ability to pass the ball reliably around and cover in front of the central defence. Then on top of that, having these mistakes Askey hasn't even responded to being outnumbered in central midfield as well. Surely, right in front of the pitch he can see that!!!!! Maybe Whitehead is better than I am seeing; he has done ok as a sub. 

Edited by Warren
  • Like 1

We had 70% possession against Morcambe and lost to a dubious penalty, we didn’t need wholesale changes. 
Why were Joyce & Conlan suddenly both left out for Whitehead & Burgess? On today’s showing neither looked a good option. 
Hoofball was not working other than to give possession away. What has happened to our passing game. The missed penalty certainly gave Carlisle a lift and from there it was one way traffic. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

I think missing an open goal and a penalty were much bigger factors! Score them we win. End of. 

So we had two chances and only one on target. Does that not suggest that we didn’t create enough?  They had 16 efforts on goal. Does that not suggest that our midfield was giving their’s far too much space??

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, CambridgeDon said:

Worst player on the pitch today. Almost got himself sent off in the first half and in the second, when perfectly placed, he sent a shot from the edge of the D into the stands. Then with probably our last chance to send a good free kick into the box, it doesn't even clear the first defender. Can't blame the lad really, he was having a mare, but by that time Askey should have subbed him. 

You very gentle on the lad there Cambridge. 

That shot must of gone onto the training pitches or Dimensions 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

Yes but we should have been 2-0. So therefore it was working. I completely get we’ve been over run. Be regardless of that we’ve missed an open goal and a penalty at 0-0. 

So it was Browns fault letting the goal in that won the game by your reasoning. 

In the whole game we had one open goal (The pen) and a good chance, thats not good enough at home, we seriously lack in creativity and it's up to Askey to find the formula, listening to their manager in the week he knew EXACTLY what they needed to do and they did it very well.

• Like 1

You can win games if a couple of players dont perform but when all have that off day together then that is a problem,yes score that header and the penalty and its a different game but we didnt so we move on.

Two tough games coming up now though

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

That is it in a nut shell - You cant miss an header from 6 yds and a penalty and expect any points. Everyone in football knows if you go a goal up at Vale Park the Vale crack and roll over - we've been doing it for years and years. If we score first we become a magic team - dont score and we look crap.

• Like 1