Match Thread: FLC R1 Scunthorpe U v Port Vale

Football is finally back! Looking forward to the first competitive match for the Vale in over five months, albeit in unusual circumstances. 

The starting XI is anyones guess, but I’d go for this:

Brown 

Mills / Legge / Smith / Fitz

Joyce / Conlon / Burgess 

Wozza / Rodney / Amoo

Subs: Visser, Brisley, Crookes, Whitehead, Monty, Cullen, Robinson

I’ll be optimistic and go for a 2-0 victory for the Valiants with Conlon and Robinson notching. Scunthorpe seemed to have recruited poorly but still have the likes of Van Veen, Gilliead and Eisa who can cause problems. 

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can imagine Stoke fans streaming the game at home, smashing up their own bathrooms.

Here's to you Theo Robinson Vale love you more than you will know Whoa, whoa, whoa

Posted Images

I think with injuries and this being a cup game that we are generally useless in, I would use this as the final preparation game for the league. Brown has been injured so I guess we will have to see how he pulls up. Wouldn’t risk the likes of manny or Cullen either. 

Visser 

mills. Legge. Smith. Montano

joyce. Burgess. 

Amoo. Conlon. Worrall

robinson (If fit) if not Rodney. 

Edited by valiant_593

What is the story with Pope? Is he available for this game as the club has appealed his ban or if not is he only banned for league games and again will he be able to play until the appeal is heard. Does anyone know the rules on this?

10 minutes ago, rayzer said:

What is the story with Pope? Is he available for this game as the club has appealed his ban or if not is he only banned for league games and again will he be able to play until the appeal is heard. Does anyone know the rules on this?

Not sure in terms of the ban. He won’t be fit enough to play anyway. Looks like he hasn’t started pre season yet! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vale Fan In DGardens said:

Looking forwards to the game hope we have a set up to get the best out of the players chosen .

Whos chosen is irrelevant .

Whats relevant is they all put a great shift in for Port Vale .

My team for this very hard starter game and let’s not have any of it doesn’t really matter if we progress or not in it as it matters of course it does every games a chance to put Vale on the map so here goes .

Visser 

Mills Legge Smith Brisley Crookes 

Burgess Joyce Whitehead 

Robinson Amoo (Worrall)to come on at half time for whitehead if we need go to 4-3-1-2 with Rodney coming on for Smith to partner Robinson at one point .

Amoo to be brought off around the hr mark for Montano if he is fit and if you can make any other subs then Fitzpatrick for Crookes or Brisley as Crookes could slot in beside the most excellent Legge at the back .

A win for Vale 2-1 with Rodney and Robinson to net ,hope so come on you Valiants 

UTV SVA 

Start as you mean to on! An outrageous team selection 😄

Pope is suspended for 6 league and cup games, so won't be available for selection for this one. I'm positive he can play against Tranmere in the EFL Trophy though, as that competition has its own set of suspension rules, I believe?

I think Askey's hand will be forced in regards to certain positions given the current injuries and those returning not wanting to be risked with the league opener next week in mind.

I'd expect Visser to start in goal. The Smith and Legge partnership picks itself. Mills starts as Gibbo is still a few weeks away. Fitzpatrick will too with Monty not being fully recovered.

Joyce and Conlon are definite starters for me in midfield. Then it's a toss up between Burgess and Whitehead for that third midfield place.

Worrall and Amoo will, I'm sure, be the starting wide men. As for the central striker, it's a toss up between Robinson or Rodney for me with Cullen not being fully fit yet and Pope's suspension.

Bench should provide some decent options though with the likes of the midfielder and striker who doesn't start out of the four listed above plus any of Brisley, Crookes, Hurst and Trickett-Smith all ready to contribute if called upon. Things will hopefully look better in terms of the personnel available for the Crawley game when those absent are back in contention.

As for Scunthorpe, their squad is decimated with injury. 5 first team players who would definitely start if fit, are currently sidelined, including, thankfully, Kevin Van Veen. They've also recruited a lot of untested youngsters and loan players so somewhat weakened I'd say. I'd hazard a guess that Ryan Loft will lead the line for them given their lack of options. Definitely the best opportunity we'll get of finally ending that Glanford Park (currently the Sands Venue Stadium for sponsorship reasons) hoodoo, as our record there isn't pretty reading.

Looking forward to it. Come on boys. Do us proud.

1 hour ago, The man in the pub said:

Whatever the starting XI can well imagine Askey getting plenty of use out of the subs, good game to get match time for the squad.

He's already stated in today's press conference that he'll be selecting his strongest possible side available. We have another game on Tuesday against Tranmere in the EFL Trophy that I think he'll use to give more minutes to those who won't start, or feature, against Crawley.

2 hours ago, Pennywise said:

He's already stated in today's press conference that he'll be selecting his strongest possible side available. We have another game on Tuesday against Tranmere in the EFL Trophy that I think he'll use to give more minutes to those who won't start, or feature, against Crawley.

So no real clue then with 4 likely starters having had injuries in pre-season.  Will he keep Cullen etc on the bench as he sees others as being more ready as they have more match time and so currently stronger in terms of being prepared?

Not sure what the protocol is on this? In theory if the player has been close to the main squad then they’d have to all isolate I assume for 2 weeks? The rest testing negative could mean they are in the early stages of the virus still so who knows.

Guess this is the new normal we have to get used to.

This article appeared on the Scunthorpe forum 9 hrs ago.

I can't find any other reference to it on any reputable news platforms.

The Vales team coach will be leaving shortly, so if this was going to affect this afternoons match I am sure we would of heard by now.