Match Thread: FLC R1 Scunthorpe U v Port Vale

An unusual start to a football season, watching or listening  to a  League Cup game from an armchair.  Hopefully not too long before some spectators are allowed into games. There are  new players to look out for, with Gibbons injured it is likely that  Mills could start,  with Pope suspended who will lead the line?  Also  an opportunity to build up fitness for an eagerly anticipated season.  So  Vale start as you mean to carry on, with a win.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can imagine Stoke fans streaming the game at home, smashing up their own bathrooms.

Here's to you Theo Robinson Vale love you more than you will know Whoa, whoa, whoa

Posted Images

Only guessing here,i cant see us seeing this as a priority game this season but i am sure Askey will want to start with a win,i think our front 3 will be Worrall,Robinson and Amoo

Sounds odd but i wonder if Visser will start this game in goal,he has played most of pre season and done well.

• Like 1

Basing the side on those that missed out due to injury I think we'll start with:

Brown

Mills / Legge / Smith / Fitzpatrick

Burgess / Joyce / Conlon

Worrall / Robinson / Amoo

Edited by PV1973
  • Like 1

Basing the side on those that missed out due to injury I think we'll start with:

Brown
Burgess / Joyce / Conlon
I've got a feeling Whitehead will start over Burgess

25 minutes ago, werstayinup said:

Only guessing here,i cant see us seeing this as a priority game this season but i am sure Askey will want to start with a win,i think our front 3 will be Worrall,Robinson and Amoo

Sounds odd but i wonder if Visser will start this game in goal,he has played most of pre season and done well.

I think it’s definitely one we want to win, if only for the 5k prize money.

Advert:

36 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

Brown

Burgess / Joyce / Conlon

Similar to what I think he’ll go for. However, based on JA saying ‘Monty is fine, he’s back in training Monday’ and Robinson seemingly a little bit behind the rest fitness wise, I think he’ll go with the below. 

Brown

Mills  Legge  Smith  Monty

Burgess  Joyce  Conlon

Worrall   Rodney  Amoo

I also think he’ll play the others who miss out on this one in the FL trophy. Gives everyone a chance to stake their claim for the first league match. 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Conrad said:

I think it’s definitely one we want to win, if only for the 5k prize money.

Didnt realise what the prize money was for this tbh

Is it still 10k a win in the efl trophy or has that changed now with whats going on

• Like 1

At this stage in proceedings it's probably a question of seeing who looks sharpest in training and in the few games we've played, are carrying no injuries, and second guessing our opponent's line-up.

I would have thought Robinson or Cullen if fit has to play. We need goalscorers in the XI.

21 minutes ago, werstayinup said:

Didnt realise what the prize money was for this tbh

Is it still 10k a win in the efl trophy or has that changed now with whats going on

As far as I know the EFL Trophy prize money remains the same.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Boslem's Brazil said:

Similar to what I think he’ll go for. However, based on JA saying ‘Monty is fine, he’s back in training Monday’ and Robinson seemingly a little bit behind the rest fitness wise, I think he’ll go with the below. 

Brown

Burgess  Joyce  Conlon

Worrall   Rodney  Amoo

I also think he’ll play the others who miss out on this one in the FL trophy. Gives everyone a chance to stake their claim for the first league match. 

It's a good opportunity to get more time into the legs, whilst still playing strong teams.

This season, even more than ever, will be a squad season, with players being rested to maintain their levels.

Edited by SFBT

Advert:

6 hours ago, Boslem's Brazil said:

Brown

Burgess  Joyce  Conlon

Worrall   Rodney  Amoo

I think that would be my team. Possibly Cullen for Rodney or maybe Amoo.

9 hours ago, Budgie_2260 said:
10 hours ago, PV1973 said:

Brown
Burgess / Joyce / Conlon

I've got a feeling Whitehead will start over Burgess

I agree - but not sure it's the right decision. We will see.

• Like 1

Advert:

Football is finally back! Looking forward to the first competitive match for the Vale in over five months, albeit in unusual circumstances. 

The starting XI is anyones guess, but I’d go for this:

Brown 

Mills / Legge / Smith / Fitz

Joyce / Conlon / Burgess 

Wozza / Rodney / Amoo

Subs: Visser, Brisley, Crookes, Whitehead, Monty, Cullen, Robinson

I’ll be optimistic and go for a 2-0 victory for the Valiants with Conlon and Robinson notching. Scunthorpe seemed to have recruited poorly but still have the likes of Van Veen, Gilliead and Eisa who can cause problems.