Words simply cannot express the sincere gratitude each and every one of Vale fans worldwide owe to Old Sage. Posters have eloquently voiced their feelings and superbly stated  facts as to why Port Vale exist this very morning, because of this one honorable, Valiant through and through bloke.

Like others I find it difficult to believe Vale Park and the many away games in the future will not be graced by his presence.

I think it's down now to us mere fans to gel together for a truly united Club, as that is what OS wanted. 

RIP old fellow, we will carry on your good work and ensure your brilliant efforts and enthusiasm are indeed rewarded.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Terribly sad news. On behalf of the OVF team I'd like to pass on my sincere condolences to Mike's family and friends who are in our thoughts right now.

As a mark of respect, I have put a short tribute to Mike on our front page - https://www.onevalefan.co.uk/2020/05/mike-lakin-one-of-our-own-rest-in-peace/

I would also add that Monday's live 90 minutes stream (Brighton, 94) will be dedicated to him. I hope he enjoys watching it from up there.

RIP Old Sage. Forever Valiant.

• Like 8

Deeply saddened to hear this news. I didn’t know Mike, only heard his calls to Radio Stoke on occasion, but was more than aware of his unwavering passion for our club and for always seeming to be doing the right thing.

His memory will live on within the club that still exists thanks in no small part to his efforts.

My thoughts are with his family. Rest in peace Old Sage

Terribly sad news.

More than many, he played his part in creating the football club we have today.

His family and close friends are in my thoughts and prayers.

I'll keep banging the drum on here for Tom Pope for you! Make no mistake about that.

What lovely words from all your friends and supporters above.

RIP, OS.

• Like 3

Don’t know where to start writing about a man such as Mike Lakin, the fact that so many old posters have returned to this site to post a tribute speaks volumes.

i had the pleasure of knowing Mike quite well and was one of the few standing outside vale park with him during the Crawley game getting dogs abuse off other so called fans, in fact one of Mikes sons got assaulted.

Port Vale has lost a true legend and as others have wrote, there might not even still be a Port Vale were it not for him.

RIP Mike Lakin, Valliant to the end.

• Like 5

Terribly sad to hear this news ,I didn't personally know old sage but I enjoyed reading his comments on here & listening to him on p&g R I P

30 minutes ago, TheSage said:

Terribly sad news.

More than many, he played his part in creating the football club we have today.

His family and close friends are in my thoughts and prayers.

I'll keep banging the drum on here for Tom Pope for you! Make no mistake about that.

What lovely words from all your friends and supporters above.

RIP, OS.

We owe him Nick.

Let the pages of Port Vales history give due respect to Mike Lakin, just as we do for the 'Legends of our past.

In the same way that I remember my heroes of 1954, I will always remember the 'Coffin March' on that warm and sunny day - March 31, 2011.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Terrible news. My Dad used to sit near to Mike in the Railway. My Dad moved to the Disabled Stand a few years ago but whenever they bumped into each other around the ground, they spent a few minutes putting the world to rights. A true Valiant.

I am deeply saddened and shocked by this news, like everyone else my thoughts were with Mike during his illness. My heartfelt condolencies go to his family and close friends.

Like so many other Vale fans, I was not a close friend of Mike but through his radio, OVF, speaking out during the V2001 fiasco and latterly Smurthwaite's "an evening with" meetings, I feel I know him as well as anyone in regard to our devoted love of Port Vale FC.

I listened to his every word, heartfelt, passionate, genuine and right on the button.

I attended every demo, every march, every meeting and always looked to Mike as a leader. I remember well the march and protest outside the main entrance of the Crawley game, where many ignorant Vale fans turned on us and even tried to attack his son outside. During these times many so called Vale 'rally' leaders sought personal media attention but when push came to shove there was only around 8-10 of us who stayed outside for the whole duration of the Crawley game.

I was proud to know Mike in my own way, he represented my love for the Vale and all his family along with ALL Vale fans should be proud of this man, I know I am.

RIP sir.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

So sad. I met Mike through this site and then in person through the Griff charity shirts a few years back and then when he was organising the V2001 protests and meetings.  Although I knew him by sight as a regular at Vale games home and away.  Stood with him on the Crawley protest as the poster mentions above.  A great bloke who was Vale to the core. RIP owd Sage/Mike

Edited by Shropshire_Valiant
  • Like 1

Although I don’t participate in debates on OVF these days, I just wanted to add my condolences to all those who knew Old Sage. We are all getting older and it is obvious from the number of Valiants who have passed lately, that we won’t last forever. God’s mercy on Mike’s soul and comfort for his family. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

RIP Mike you will be sadly missed. You were Vale through and through and at least you can rest knowing the club is in good hands.

• Like 1

You always knew that you were in for an entertaining evening when Mike attended any meetings.

Never been a better guy to sum-up what football is all about. Passion, loyalty, humour and the spirit of being with folks that you’ve known (and some loved) for all of your life.

I’m not a religious person but Mike’s family should take great comfort from everything that he did and for what we will all benefit from, starting with promotion in 2021 x

• Like 8