onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Scott Burgess new signing

yorky valiant

I think this sounds like a decent signing to be honest.

Attack minded ball player who finds space in between the opposition lines. Promoted under Askey in the league below. Likely to be relatively cheap.

There seems to be a mad panic on here throughout the summer. Players ask for stupid money this time of year as Askey said on the radio. There was a good article published a few years ago by Darragh McAnthony too where he explained why Posh hadn't done much early business.

Advert

He was clearly from the very top of non-league though - an ever-present (incredibly!), player-of-the-season in a Conference play-off team.

A bit different to players that couldn't get into National League sides and had to ply their trade a level lower in the North/South division.

(that's not a specific dig at Burgess, as I've obviously not seen him play)

So Oyeleke not a “non league chancer” then???

As I said previously, all signings, wherever they come from, are “chancers” to a greater or lesser degree.

Burgess has plied his trade at a higher level than non league. Anyone care to focus on this?

As I said previously, all signings, wherever they come from, are “chancers” to a greater or lesser degree.

Burgess has plied his trade at a higher level than non league. Anyone care to focus on this?

Even more disappointing are "certs" that don't come off, mainly in the Prem though.

He'd excelled in the Conference & won player-of-the-season at a club that effectively finished 9 places below us, (and is there much difference between the bottom of League 2 and the top of the Conference?) - so no, not really a chancer, more a natural progression (certainly so, when compared to players having to step up a couple of divisions).

Chris Brass liked him at Bury, but he didn't stay in the job long. I'm guessing his lack of physical presence put people off despite his good technical skills and it seems Askey doesn't buy into the notion of needing a team of big bruisers to get promotion.

We will see but a number of people on here (not me) have repeatedly said we need to have a team of big, physical players like what Micky Adams put together.

Chris Brass liked him at Bury, but he didn't stay in the job long. I'm guessing his lack of physical presence put people off despite his good technical skills and it seems Askey doesn't buy into the notion of needing a team of big bruisers to get promotion.

We will see but a number of people on here (not me) have repeatedly said we need to have a team of big, physical players like what Micky Adams put together.

We certainly need goals from midfield and wide areas. This lad doesnt score many so lets wait and see who the players he brings in on the bigger money to do that job.

Itll be an interesting summer of recruitment and a massive job for him to address the goals tally.

I like the signing of Burgess as a backup squad player.

People need to realise we haven't got the money to go out and buy a ready made goalscoring midfielder like a Sammy Szmodics or a Luke Berry. Therefore we have to identify players we see as having potential and them improve them through coaching. He's only 21 so there is that potential for him to develop. H'es already had a good number of games at L1 and NL level so it's not as though he's just come straight from an academy side somewhere.

It's up to him to take his chance now.

We need to be careful what we say about players on here I think. I know we are all entitled to our opinion but if any player read the forum before signing they might think twice about joining the club. The Ryan Lloyd deal seems to have gone very quiet for example, maybe he didn't like the reaction here. That may be why we have signed Scott Burgess, similar player but not so much negativity, although it is close.

He'd excelled in the Conference & won player-of-the-season at a club that effectively finished 9 places below us, (and is there much difference between the bottom of League 2 and the top of the Conference?) - so no, not really a chancer, more a natural progression (certainly so, when compared to players having to step up a couple of divisions).

I beg to differ, that’s one good season, what about the rest?

The point is that all signings are “chancers” and some of the posters on here should be a bit more open minded until they see the player in question actually kick a ball in anger.

We need to be careful what we say about players on here I think. I know we are all entitled to our opinion but if any player read the forum before signing they might think twice about joining the club. The Ryan Lloyd deal seems to have gone very quiet for example, maybe he didn't like the reaction here. That may be why we have signed Scott Burgess, similar player but not so much negativity, although it is close.

I don't think other clubs' fan sites are any worse than this one. If I was a player it would be the place I stayed away from.

I don't think other clubs' fan sites are any worse than this one. If I was a player it would be the place I stayed away from.

Maybe not, but that isn't our problem. I don't expect Scott Burgess would read this but I imagine Ryan Lloyd is probably aware of OVF. OR maybe Carol, Kevin and John have read it and decided against signing an ex player.

I've been trying to give myself the weekend off OVF although I have seen some of the heat generated regarding the Burgess signing so apologies if other people have already said this.

Everyone knows we need a smaller, leaner, smarter squad with more established and experienced league footballers. Everyone. On the face of things, in isolation, the two players who we've signed or are close to signing don't fit the bill.

Is it the time to panic? Not yet. Are these signings a statement of intent as to the type of players we're going to be bringing in? I don't think you can draw that conclusion.

With any jigsaw you start with the corners first, i.e. the easy pieces. These deals will have been no doubt far more straightforward to complete than other players who will be in greater demand, taking their time to weigh up their options, and in far less of a rush to secure their future. We've done these deals first because it's the path of least resistance.

Even with a much smaller squad you're still going to need a certain number of squad players on top of the core of your first team. It would be tough in terms of the playing budget and man management to have a good handful of very capable players at this level who are fed up and potentially disruptive because they aren't getting regular starts.

So, in summary, now's not the time to panic.

That will be in around 5 or 6 weeks I reckon.

I've been trying to give myself the weekend off OVF although I have seen some of the heat generated regarding the Burgess signing so apologies if other people have already said this.

Everyone knows we need a smaller, leaner, smarter squad with more established and experienced league footballers. Everyone. On the face of things, in isolation, the two players who we've signed or are close to signing don't fit the bill.

Is it the time to panic? Not yet. Are these signings a statement of intent as to the type of players we're going to be bringing in? I don't think you can draw that conclusion.

With any jigsaw you start with the corners first, i.e. the easy pieces. These deals will have been no doubt far more straightforward to complete than other players who will be in greater demand, taking their time to weigh up their options, and in far less of a rush to secure their future. We've done these deals first because it's the path of least resistance.

Even with a much smaller squad you're still going to need a certain number of squad players on top of the core of your first team. It would be tough in terms of the playing budget and man management to have a good handful of very capable players at this level who are fed up and potentially disruptive because they aren't getting regular starts.

So, in summary, now's not the time to panic.

That will be in around 5 or 6 weeks I reckon.

spot on

Archived