Ruffled my hair as a youngster when he opened one of Stallington hospitals carnivals , first time I was star struck , don't know if the hand on my head was the same one that turned Peles header over , but ill say it was !! RIP

You had hair ? :wink:

RIP , seemed a genuinely nice bloke as well as being one of the greatest if not the greatest keeper ever.

Every single member of the 66 squad should of been knighted it's a travesty he wasn't.

Sad news indeed. All of the tributes that have been paid to him seem very genuine rather than the usual platitudes you hear after some "celebrity" deaths.

A top person never mind a top footballer, met him a few times, the last time was at Trentham,not seen it mentioned anywhere, he was on the coaching staff at the Vale for a short while around 1979ish.

Never met him but he came over as a modest person of the highest integrity, sad loss.

The best goalkeeper to ever wear the England shirt, his positioning was immaculate, always seemed to be in the right position to make the save.

IMHO, his save from Pele's header and the build up to it is the greatest piece of sporting action ever.

Edited by Paul6754

Wonderful goalkeeper and a nice fella to boot.

He really was the best 'keeper I've ever seen. His positional sense was staggeringly good and like all the great players he made it seem all too easy. Calm. Assured. Only occasionally spectacular. One of England's very great players.

Thanks for the memories Gordon and for 1966.

Spot on Sage, generally he made saves look simple because of his ability to position himself so well.

Saves-wise he will always be of course best remembered for the save against Pele in 1970 however his save from Geoff Hurst's Penalty in the League Cup semi-final at West Ham will surely go down as one of his best and most important.

RIP Gordon.

A top person never mind a top footballer, met him a few times, the last time was at Trentham,not seen it mentioned anywhere, he was on the coaching staff at the Vale for a short while around 1979ish.

Yes when Dennis Butler was manager.

RIP Banksy.

Very good.

Those of us who were fortunate (and old enough!) to remember Gordon Banks in his prime should consider ourselves blessed. You don't see many of his quality in your lifetime and he was truly one of the very few great English footballers of all time. A World Cup winner as well.

I hope all Vale fans give him a rousing minutes applause on Saturday.

Just remembered this anecdote:

I watched Vale play at Reading in the late 70s, at their old Elm Park ground.

Before kick off Gordon was on the pitch putting the Vale players through their paces and I saw one or two of the Reading fans nudging each other and pointing. Next thing the tannoy announcer came on and said 'yes, the Port Vale coach is the legendary Gordon Banks' and a big cheer went up, followed by kids going on the pitch with programmes and other things to sign. He accepted it all with good grace and all those kids went home with his autograph.

Top bloke and will be sadly missed. Nice to see on the TV news tonight, at the little shrine that's sprung up at the Bet 365, at least one Vale scarf.

Edited by Heatwave

Top bloke. Don't know why he never received a knighthood.

Two nominations were put in by Terry Conroy and a couple of years later by a Stoke fan and Stoke for his 80th .........and allegedly lost.

Mind you he shouldn’t be in the same club as twats like Phillip Green

Just remembered this anecdote:

I watched Vale play at Reading in the late 70s, at their old Elm Park ground.

Before kick off Gordon was on the pitch putting the Vale players through their paces and I saw one or two of the Reading fans nudging each other and pointing. Next thing the tannoy announcer came on and said 'yes, the Port Vale coach is the legendary Gordon Banks' and a big cheer went up, followed by kids going on the pitch with programmes and other things to sign. He accepted it all with good grace and all those kids went home with his autograph.

Top bloke and will be sadly missed. Nice to see on the TV news tonight, at the little shrine that's sprung up at the Bet 365, at least one Vale scarf.

A Vale shirt as well. Also scarves from Hartlepool, Leeds, Hadjuk Split and Leicester.

A Vale shirt as well. Also scarves from Hartlepool, Leeds, Hadjuk Split and Leicester.

You should remember that Reading match as well Phil as we were both there.

RIP Gordon Banks. Growing up in Tipperary, I watched the ‘66 WC Final in a pub with my Dad , and the images are still there , especially of Gordon Banks. He was a brilliant goalkeeper, probably the best ever for England , and that save from Pele was out of this world . The 1970 England team was better than 1966, and if Banks had not been injured , I have no doubt that they would have won the World Cup that year. That’s how good he was .

He inspired players to excel. I was very sad when I heard the news of his passing.

His kind won’t pass this way again. Many condolences to his family and friends.

A nice tribute to Banks at Vale Park on Saturday and in the programme. Well done to all concerned.

I'm sure he'll have a good send off from Stoke Minster next month.