Proper Gentleman,I had a few conversations with him at the doctors.Always had time for a chat.He gave me his autograph for my grandson who is a goalie.Pride of place with his trophies and medals.Can’t believe he was never knighted.

Met him at a Sportsmans evening at the Vale when he was the guest speaker. He joked at the start about being unsure how he would be received being a former Stoke goalie. Need not have worried as a 1966 World Cup winner he went down a storm, a real modest gentleman. My wife worked at the North Staffs hospital where he was often seen chatting and comforting patients, mostly under the radar. He wasn't one of those celebrities who only turned up when the media was there.

As mentioned earlier he should already have been knighted. Perhaps more importantly to the people of Stoke on Trent he will always be remembered as Sir Gordon Banks,

Edited by man in the pub

Wonderful goalkeeper and a nice fella to boot.

He really was the best 'keeper I've ever seen. His positional sense was staggeringly good and like all the great players he made it seem all too easy. Calm. Assured. Only occasionally spectacular. One of England's very great players.

Thanks for the memories Gordon and for 1966.

The greatest GK I ever saw. An icon throughout the football world. A family man who was loyal, modest, self effacing, generous, fair, honest, focussed, successful and above all else nice, the nicest of men. Men of his calibre are rare jewels. As a schoolboy whenever Gordon Banks was playing for England I felt safe, and happy that we would win. More often than not, we did. It is always a sign of our mortality when those who the gods blessed, the heroes of our childhood, pass away. Gordon Banks, a life well lived, a memory to be treasured, a man of integrity.

Ruffled my hair as a youngster when he opened one of Stallington hospitals carnivals , first time I was star struck , don't know if the hand on my head was the same one that turned Peles header over , but ill say it was !! RIP