onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread - Lincoln City v Port Vale

Fosse69

Well, well, well...we looked like a team scrapping for their lives. Absolute screamer from Manny having had the sighter earlier that nearly broke the bar. Thought having proper fullbacks made a huge difference and, tin hat on, Joyce added a lot in midfield. Is it a case of onwards and upwards or will not maintain this moving forward. If we'd played like that over any of the games at Xmas we'd have been 5/6 points better off! Oh well feels like a win to shut those arrogant barstewards up....loved the unbelieving silence when Manny's shot flew in! :laugh::clap:

It wasn’t silent in the away end when that shot flew in, we were going mental.

Advert

Is this a case of the Rudge bounce.Rudgie was one game away from being sacked then we beat Spurs in the cup and the skies the limit.

I think people on here need to realise that many of our players are raw and inconsistent.The team is totally different from last season and are still getting to know one another.I still think if we play people in the correct positions we have a far better team than last season.I still think we played well first half against Oldham but second half we got caught pushing for an equaliser and conceded two late goals.I don’t think the required players will be available in January and with the turmoil and uncertainty with the Manager are not going to be attractive to new signings.Some of the loans have returned to their clubs and if we send Dodds and Hardcastle back we have space for4 more loans.

The first could be Kyle Hopkins if we could get him from WBA as he isn’t playing for them at the moment.

We don’t need chancers in January who will need a decent contract to come.

Hopefully Angus could answer our prayers for a poacher alongside Pope.

Hopefully Aspin has realised we need full backs who can get forward and wingers to keep their full backs busy.

Clark was a better player at left back and a cheeky offer in January might tempt him to sign a permanent contract and solve the leftback problem.

Is this a case of the Rudge bounce.Rudgie was one game away from being sacked then we beat Spurs in the cup and the skies the limit

Kevin Finney v Macclesfield saved Mr Rudge. We played Spurs in the next round.

Could Manny be the new Kevin Finney ?

What a thought !

I travelled not expecting anything today and honestly thought that if Lincoln were interested, they'd put four past us. We didn't create a huge amount, but neither did they and Vale battled throughout. Manny's goal was glorious and encapsulated in a split second why I continue to go to away games. We still have major problems but after questioning the players Saturday, you couldn't fault their attitude today.

Of course it is, they’re 22 points in front of Vale already at this stage. To say they don’t have better players is unbelievable.

Yes, anyone can beat anyone in a one off as Crewe did but do you really think we can go Lincoln and win? Have a day off.

Apology accepted.

Well done to Aspo and the lads for a gutsy performance.Now I'll have a day off.

We are what we are - and i know that statement will wind some of you up, but it's true - we are a lower-mid table team, whov'e had a decade of problems on and off the field! The thing we have most wished for is continuity - which you don't get by having to rebuild every summer.

If Aspo was a bad manager, you would have to attribute all good performances to just luck and not any of his decision-making which is clearly unfair. You can say he wasn't very good at Gateshead - but they're not one of the non-League teams awash with money, so maybe he just did an average job with the resources he had at his disposal - sound familiar? You can accuse him of playing players out of position - but several players were brought in because they had a choice of playing position. Does he plan to play "square pegs in round holes"? I don't know - I don't see the players training, day after day; don't hear them grumbling about knocks and niggles they've picked up; don't see them shrinking from tackles because they're lacking in confidence...or are too hungover to pay attention.

Of his transfer policy - around half of those he's brought in are 1st team regulars, and very good on their day. But - because they are from lower or non-League- they may...do...lack the consistency of players higher up the Leagues. I don't think we've had so many younger players in our team for a long time? This is the way forward for a club like the Vale - but we have to allow for the inconsistency and, occasionally, poor decision-making on the pitch of the younger lads.

There is so much more I feel I want to say about our position - so much more i wish you would consider...not everything is black and white (pun intended) in aspin's decisions. But, basically, I think Aspo has to have this transfer window to see if he can strengthen the squad, having already made some space with loanees going back. Then he has to have till the end of the season to see how we've done with his new intake. We can't keep changing managers...definition of insanity...and, in any case, there aren't that many out there I would like to see installed at the Vale - and every new appointment is a gamble and waste of resources.

I thought we put in a solid battling performance. We clearly set up to try and nullify them and in the main it worked. 4 at the back with Kay holding in front and Manny, Joyce and Hannant in front of him. Those 3 were quite narrow but Manny and Hannant in particular had to put a real shift in to get across and cover their full backs pushing on and for the majority of the game they did a good job, they got a few crosses in and had some half chances but nothing clear cut. So credit to the defenders there because Rhead was pulling off on to the far post on to our smaller full backs and he didn’t get a lot of joy to be fair. I’m not even sure Brown had a save to make. Their wingers did very little either and it says a lot about how good a job our defenders did that Rhead and their left winger got subbed, 2 of the biggest threats for them.

Going forward we only had Whitfield as the main threat over the top, but we didn’t use that a lot and Whitfield was more out of the game than in, but with no wide men playing for us it was more difficult for our full backs to really join in and link with an out and out winger, but they pushed on when they could and got a few decent deliveries in and gave them something to think about. Hannant I thought had an off day going forward. What was frustrating is that it we had a lot of good opportunities to shoot in the first half and no one really went for it. Pope battled gamely as always, but with little joy from 2 strong centre halves.

After they took the lead from a scramble the substitution of Whitfield was booed, by more than just a few. Along with chants of you don’t know what you’re doing and Aspin time to go. Monty came on and did no better and to be fair I expected a defensive midfielder to make way as we were chasing the game at that point. But what a way to end the game, an unbelievable strike from Manny. A draw was nothing more than we deserved I thought, it was a hard fought game against a strong side, they will batter sides there through sheer pressure and strength and we stood up to it today.

Of the side I thought Kay, Joyce, Smith, Gibbons and Manny would be good choices for man of the match. Clark played well too and what I liked about him today was he looked to have much more urgency in his play to get back and do the things I think he’s struggled with, and that’s being susceptible to being caught with a ball over his head and being slow to get back in to his defensive shape. On the other side Gibbons was the same, he played really well defensively and offered a good forward outlet too. They should be our full backs from now on. It showed the value of having those 2 proper full backs and even also playing centre midfielders in centre mid like Joyce who know the job inside out. None of this square pegs in round holes rubbish. Overall a very good point today’s against a good side. If Aspin stays I wonder what will change next time out after that decent battling performance today. Interesting to note Aspin having to be restrained and having a right go with some of their fans behind the dug outs, not sure what went on but it looked like he’d lost it a bit.

Is this a case of the Rudge bounce.Rudgie was one game away from being sacked then we beat Spurs in the cup and the skies the limit.

I think people on here need to realise that many of our players are raw and inconsistent.The team is totally different from last season and are still getting to know one another.I still think if we play people in the correct positions we have a far better team than last season.I still think we played well first half against Oldham but second half we got caught pushing for an equaliser and conceded two late goals.I don’t think the required players will be available in January and with the turmoil and uncertainty with the Manager are not going to be attractive to new signings.Some of the loans have returned to their clubs and if we send Dodds and Hardcastle back we have space for4 more loans.

The first could be Kyle Hopkins if we could get him from WBA as he isn’t playing for them at the moment.

We don’t need chancers in January who will need a decent contract to come.

Hopefully Angus could answer our prayers for a poacher alongside Pope.

Hopefully Aspin has realised we need full backs who can get forward and wingers to keep their full backs busy.

Clark was a better player at left back and a cheeky offer in January might tempt him to sign a permanent contract and solve the leftback problem.

Spot on! Had Kevin Finney not scored the late winner v Macclesfield in the FA Cup, John Rudge would've been sacked by Bill Bell. Then we got Spurs in the 3rd Round of the FA Cup to start a magical journey of success. Let's hope today does the same for Neil Aspin!

We are what we are - and i know that statement will wind some of you up, but it's true - we are a lower-mid table team, whov'e had a decade of problems on and off the field! The thing we have most wished for is continuity - which you don't get by having to rebuild every summer.

If Aspo was a bad manager, you would have to attribute all good performances to just luck and not any of his decision-making which is clearly unfair. You can say he wasn't very good at Gateshead - but they're not one of the non-League teams awash with money, so maybe he just did an average job with the resources he had at his disposal - sound familiar? You can accuse him of playing players out of position - but several players were brought in because they had a choice of playing position. Does he plan to play "square pegs in round holes"? I don't know - I don't see the players training, day after day; don't hear them grumbling about knocks and niggles they've picked up; don't see them shrinking from tackles because they're lacking in confidence...or are too hungover to pay attention.

Of his transfer policy - around half of those he's brought in are 1st team regulars, and very good on their day. But - because they are from lower or non-League- they may...do...lack the consistency of players higher up the Leagues. I don't think we've had so many younger players in our team for a long time? This is the way forward for a club like the Vale - but we have to allow for the inconsistency and, occasionally, poor decision-making on the pitch of the younger lads.

There is so much more I feel I want to say about our position - so much more i wish you would consider...not everything is black and white (pun intended) in aspin's decisions. But, basically, I think Aspo has to have this transfer window to see if he can strengthen the squad, having already made some space with loanees going back. Then he has to have till the end of the season to see how we've done with his new intake. We can't keep changing managers...definition of insanity...and, in any case, there aren't that many out there I would like to see installed at the Vale - and every new appointment is a gamble and waste of resources.

This post, only with brass n0bs on.

I was skeptical about Aspin being appointed Vale manager because of a lack of League experienced but when announced John Rudge would be an board then I felt the duo were as good as Vale could do at the time.

Vale are a work in progress and to me it is much riskier for Vale if Aspin goes now especially if Rudgie follows him out the door. The performance against Lincoln showed Comments like, "Players not respecting Aspin, not playing for him, having no plan, there's no tactics, etc etc" that have posted on OVF over the last few weeks have been way off the mark. Hence why IMHO Aspin shouldn't be taking any notice of part of the fan base.

However, if Aspin wants to go it's his decision but if money is not provided to whomever is appointed to spend on the team the same fans will be moaning in 6 months time if not before.

Aspin is an honest, hard working guy, his team mirrors his personality and right now it is what PVFC needs, stability.

Aspin is an honest, hard working guy, his team mirrors his personality and right now it is what PVFC needs, stability.

You can't be demanding that Aspin needs to stay to provide stability when he is the one threatening to quit because his substitutions are being criticized.

Vale are a work in progress and to me it is much riskier for Vale if Aspin goes now especially if Rudgie follows him out the door. The performance against Lincoln showed Comments like, "Players not respecting Aspin, not playing for him, having no plan, there's no tactics, etc etc" that have posted on OVF over the last few weeks have been way off the mark. Hence why IMHO Aspin shouldn't be taking any notice of part of the fan base.

1 swallow does not make a summer, but credit where credit is due because yesterday’s performance showed what he can be good at, and that’s setting up a team to stop the opposition. However when I in particular spoke about no tactics or plans it was referring to games where we are the side that has to try and break down the opposition. Because we have had no method of playing other than launching it and we have looked totally unbalanced in some of his choices. I think that criticism still stands and is a valid one shared by many fans.

The Lincoln game showed what can be achieved with players playing in their correct roles, because as a side we looked a lot more balanced. If he stays the key is can he take a performance like that yesterday and add a bit of magic going forwards?

Fans can crticise all they want, but if any manager decides to listen to the fan base then he’s a manager not worth his salt. They live and die by their own actions and should stand by their own convictions.

Also Rudgies current role is being given a lot more credit than is actually warranted, he has no influence over Aspin and isn’t involved in the running of the side at all.

You can't be demanding that Aspin needs to stay to provide stability when he is the one threatening to quit because his substitutions are being criticized.

Those "fans" criticising are too thick to ponder what exactly they hope to achieve mid-game. I can picture in my mind some absolute bell-end just waiting to chsnt the highly-original "You don't know what you're doing" and the other foaming at the mouth mutants joining in.

Archived