onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread - Lincoln City v Port Vale

Fosse69

On a more general note, these late game saving goals we’ve scored this season tells me that players are trying and playing for Aspin. Yet talk is that he had “lost” the dressing room.

I offer that if Aspin had “lost” the dressing room, the effort put into saving games late on would not happen.

Just a thought.

Their general all round effort today, despite a lack of quality at times, supports your theory RR.

Advert

Its hard to get decent players in January - most of those available will be those cast off by other clubs and there is usually a reason why they are free to go

Recently our problem has also been losing good players in January to clubs with a lot more money to spend.

Sounds like Aspin is going to hand his notice in after the praise and grumble after match interview. Smurf get the out of work managers list out and get an experienced manager and use some of the money from transfers to pay for this.

You will then get the fans back when football gets better.

In the words of Humphrey Bogart ... 'Things are never so bad they can't be made worse'

Some have said that if we change manager now we'll not be able to sign anyone in the window.

Let's assume that Aspo goes and we start looking for a replacement. The critical factor is the position of John Rudge - whether he stays or goes - because I think he's been quite instrumental in identifying our transfer targets. So I don't see it as necessarily a problem if Aspo goes.

The problems though are twofold - would an incoming manager be willing to accept Rudgey's recruitment strategy? And would Smurf be capable of financing either decent signings or a decent manager?

We all know where the real problems lie and it's not in the manager's office.

Guest TommyMac
Tommy,when,apart from the odd season,has it ever been vfm?

Believe it or not Howjy I was entertained when Bruno was here. Sometimes it was comedy value :laugh: but, more often than not, I felt I'd had VFM.

I mostly enjoyed watching Rob Page's team and Micky's. Rudge's era goes without saying.

Others; Foyle, Horton, Lee, McGrath.

Perhaps I'm an oddity but I prefer to be entertained than watch pub football regardless of the result.

Their general all round effort today, despite a lack of quality at times, supports your theory RR.

I don't personally believe our problems are a lack of effort as such, more a combination of a lack of tactical nous, lack of quality and poor consistency. For me positives under Aspo is away form has improved, defence is slightly better if you take out the odd battering, recruitment has been okay, I also feel he is genuine and honest in most his post match verdicts,we now however need more creative reinforcements, negatives in the main would be the style of play especially in home games which on the whole has been too negative with a lack of method/cohesion /quality and our lack of attacking players and lack of positive home results(Luton at home was probably our last really positive result/performance in the League).

Some have said that if we change manager now we'll not be able to sign anyone in the window.

Let's assume that Aspo goes and we start looking for a replacement. The critical factor is the position of John Rudge - whether he stays or goes - because I think he's been quite instrumental in identifying our transfer targets. So I don't see it as necessarily a problem if Aspo goes.

The problems though are twofold - would an incoming manager be willing to accept Rudgey's recruitment strategy? And would Smurf be capable of financing either decent signings or a decent manager?

Rudge will walk if Aspin goes. He only came because it was Aspin. 2 to 3 weeks to find a new manager 2 weeks to look at the squad ... by which time the window is closed.

Given the timing and expected budget I think the new manager would have to work with what we have, he may be able to bring a couple of players with him. Since the club strategy is developing non-league/ex academy players, I would not be surprised at a manager with non -league experience. So don't see the point of change at this point of the season unless Aspin wants to leave. Hopefully we will have further comments on the game from fans who went to the game.

Given the timing and expected budget I think the new manager would have to work with what we have, he may be able to bring a couple of players with him. Since the club strategy is developing non-league/ex academy players, I would not be surprised at a manager with non -league experience. So don't see the point of change at this point of the season unless Aspin wants to leave. Hopefully we will have further comments on the game from fans who went to the game.
That's not the Club's strategy but aspin and JR's. If it had been the Club's strategy for the past few years, I daresay we would be a lot higher than we are at the moment

Perhaps I'm an oddity but I prefer to be entertained than watch pub football regardless of the result.

Problem is we have only got 8 points (6 away and 2 at home) in the last ten games and we haven’t been entertained either. So it is a lose-lose situation whether you want entertaining or boring victories, especially if you only attend home games.

The way we play as said before is perfect away from home and we rarely lose away (2 since August) we’ve the third best away defence apparently behind Lincoln and Mansfield.

If Aspin could find the home formula and be attacking he would do well but he hasn’t.

its simple, just play players where they are comfortable in their natural position. We have a player on the books who is an experienced holding midfield player that the majority on OVF don't rate. He has played today against the league leaders and we have managed to come away with an unexpected point. I know people might say "one player does not make a difference" but that midfield was in need of desperate surgery. In Luke Joyce I think we have the player.

I don't personally believe our problems are a lack of effort as such, more a combination of a lack of tactical nous, lack of quality and poor consistency. For me positives under Aspo is away form has improved, defence is slightly better if you take out the odd battering, recruitment has been okay, I also feel he is genuine and honest in most his post match verdicts,we now however need more creative reinforcements, negatives in the main would be the style of play especially in home games which on the whole has been too negative with a lack of method/cohesion /quality and our lack of attacking players and lack of positive home results(Luton at home was probably our last really positive result/performance in the League).

I think you are pretty spot on in all you say....my point was in the games v Grimsby and Oldham everything you've said was happening but with little perceived effort or endeavour...which then made everything else look even worse than it was! Even when things aren't going well you would expect them to chase lost causes, empty themselves on the pitch but I didn't see that happening....I did today. (I only watch on iFollow don't forget)

It's worth noting that Aspin says the players are behind him. I believe him but if Aspin had of been sacked at the weekend then people would have looked at this result and said the players must have downed tools under Aspin and went out to try and get him sacked against Oldham!

If Aspin goes then it's because he alienated the fans with his tactics and player selection, not because he lost the dressing room or anything like that.

Archived