onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread - Colchester U v Port Vale

Fosse69

So, the first game went very well, 45 more to go. Off to Colchester with a smile on our faces, and a team built from the core of last season and an influx of prospects. Confidence comes with winning games, learning each others play, coping with circumstances. Likely to be cautious against a team expecting to do well, but until teams settle why not grab a win with our fire power.

Advert

Draw would be a decent result anything else a bonus at a tricky place to go.

Do we go with the same or play a more cautious XI away from home? All things for Aspin to consider.

A point here and we are already ahead of Game 7 last season at least! A win and ahead of game 12!

Let's face it , Colchester and many others will now not be relishing playing us. We've got more fire power, passion and skill throughout the Team compared to last season, so let the opposition worry about us.

Let's take it to Colchester and show this Division we mean business! This happy feeling is contagious and I do not want to lose it.

Yes, difficult place to go to - long journey from the Potteries (bit easier from Cambridge!) and a soulless ground when you get there. For a small club, I've always been surprised at what good sides they put out and looking at their team and result from yesterday, things are still the same. Up front, they have Frank Nouble ex Newport who apparently missed the game's best chance against County, backed up by Szmodics (who we know from his offside goal last season) and Aaron Collins, a young striker on loan from Wolves. At the back, it's Prosser, Easton and Kent - all 6'2" or above - and so Popey and Rick can expect a tough physical battle. Our best chance looks like down the flanks, getting either side of their back three, so I hope we're minded to attack with Monty and Gibbo overlapping rather than sitting back. Having said that, they will have taken confidence from a draw and not conceding at County, so perhaps we'll have to weather a bit of a storm to begin with. I'm sure Aspo will have thought it through. Looks like it's going to be a good game!

There are a lot of tall, physically strong sides in this League and one of my slight concerns is a lack of height in our own team. With that in mind I'd certainly consider a back five and putting Legge in there in some games or there's been little point trying it out in pre-season. Miller isn't great in the air so we've probably only got Pope and Rawlinson who are in the six feet plus bracket. Our midfielders are all small. Something to think about perhaps as away games are much more difficult and we'll come under a lot of pressure at some point. A lot depends on their formation and their style of play but I wouldn't rule out strengthening the back line in some away games.

It's only one game but from what I saw and heard yesterday it's a mouth watering prospect watching Ricky Miller and the partnership between Miller and Popey every week. Miller's skills, tricks and impudence were wonderful yesterday and the 1-2 with Popey and Miller's trick which led to the penalty were just sublime.

Miller may not play as well every game, he may get sent off now and again but the show, fun and potential excitement he together with Popey and the other lads will provide will be well worth the admission fee.

Miller certainly looks like a box of chocolates, you never know what...... I'm trying my best not to get carried away.

Can't wait for Colchester and the quick footed Miller against their big center backs, Vale will score at least two!!!

A bit of a dilemma, I think Dodds is better than Miller on defensive duties of which there were very little last hour against Cambridge. Miller was motm on Sat so I woouldn’t change a winning team or the 442, I trust Manny and Joyce to give enough manpower at the back even if we do concede more territory.

Yes, difficult place to go to - long journey from the Potteries (bit easier from Cambridge!) and a soulless ground when you get there. For a small club, I've always been surprised at what good sides they put out and looking at their team and result from yesterday, things are still the same. Up front, they have Frank Nouble ex Newport who apparently missed the game's best chance against County, backed up by Szmodics (who we know from his offside goal last season) and Aaron Collins, a young striker on loan from Wolves. At the back, it's Prosser, Easton and Kent - all 6'2" or above - and so Popey and Rick can expect a tough physical battle. Our best chance looks like down the flanks, getting either side of their back three, so I hope we're minded to attack with Monty and Gibbo overlapping rather than sitting back. Having said that, they will have taken confidence from a draw and not conceding at County, so perhaps we'll have to weather a bit of a storm to begin with. I'm sure Aspo will have thought it through. Looks like it's going to be a good game!

Yes, after speaking to my Notts County fan mate at work who went to their game Saturday, Colchester are definitely a big physical unit that battled hard

Archived