onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread - Colchester U v Port Vale

Fosse69

Worrall played okay Saturday.. most of our play came down the left because their right back was awful so we exploited it and he couldn’t cope with Hanno and Monty running at him.

Couldn't criticise any player on Saturday and Worrall played his part in a good all round team display.

Advert

Couldn't criticise any player on Saturday and Worrall played his part in a good all round team display.

Agreed. Their right back was actually making his debut so it was a tactic for us to try and exploit that and it worked a treat. My thoughts were it was a disciplined performance all over that allowed Monty some freedom in that second half.

In an away game, if we need to counteract another team's significant height advantage then playing, say, Legge & Dodds at the expense of the two wide men isn't a bad idea. The ball is in the air a lot at this level and we'll come under pressure from corners and free-kicks.

I don't see that kind of change as particularly weakening the team, as it still leaves us with Pope and Miller up top and perhaps Dodds in the hole behind.

You do have to keep it tight and be tough to break down in away games, ensuring that you're still in the game after an hour. It's horses for courses. If you go gung-ho and ignore the other team's strengths than you're asking for trouble. That's not being negative, just sensible.

A massively negative move. Micky Adams bossed this league with a 4-4-2 with two good wingers and Tom Pope and we were as likely to win away vs the top teams as at home vs the bottom teams. Brown and at times Aspin last season were slated for negativity for five man midfield and lack of attacking players.

If we took a winger out and replaced him with Legge this forum would go in to melt down if it didn't work. Due to the win/performance last week, the side has to stay the same.

I think Worrall is an important player as his workrate and experience on the right is important with Gibbons behind him. Gibbons loves a foray forward and has a great cross on him, so to have an experienced, hard working winger in front of him, who also has a decent ball on him, as opposed to Kanu/Dodds who probably wouldn't cover Gibbons as much, makes sense.

I agree with Rudge's Flat Cap above. Let's make Colchester worry about us, there were enough positives on Saturday that suggested to me we can be reasonably successful away this season with that side, 2 central defenders who will put themselves in the way of the ball, 2 good all round central midfielders who can win and retain possession, whilst still supporting the attack and 2 strikers who looked to be striking up a good understanding on the pitch.

Getting the 9 50 train down to Euston on Saturday morning. Looking forward to it.

I also agree. Same 11 for me. Let them worry about stopping pope and miller. Best chance for us to win is to pick our best players

Statement of intent would be to win this in the same style as our home game! And we still have Tom Conlon to come back into contention - who had glowing reports in the friendlies!

I would hope Aspin sets the side up as he thinks best rather than worrying about a melt down on OVF. As I haven't seen or got scouting reports on Colchester I have absolutely no idea what side he should pick but as a manager it's better getting sacked because your ideas didn't work rather than picking a team you think will appease the fans and still losing. Saying managers shouldn't worry about the opposition at all when picking a side isn't a sensible comment though as part of playing well is neutralising the opposition.

I would hope Aspin sets the side up as he thinks best rather than worrying about a melt down on OVF. As I haven't seen or got scouting reports on Colchester I have absolutely no idea what side he should pick but as a manager it's better getting sacked because your ideas didn't work rather than picking a team you think will appease the fans and still losing. Saying managers shouldn't worry about the opposition at all when picking a side isn't a sensible comment though as part of playing well is neutralising the opposition.

The reality is the few fans who post on here are a small proportion of the fan base and I doubt the over reaction that greets most things is something that bothers anyone at the club.

Colchester apparently played a 3-4-3 formation at Notts County by the way and played very well according to reports.

All I expect as a given tomorrow is a committed performance. If we win, all the better. We certainly can win, and hope we do. We set a minimum standard in the second half against Cambridge, so there's no excuses. A steady, mobile and quality centre midfield will take us a long way in this league. As for up top, the partnership started so well. Here's hoping Ricky, and the whole team, can continue in the same vein.

landscape-soaps-eastenders-4769-2.jpg

1:Same team selection .

2:Horrible 1st away match (may aswell get it out the way .)

3: Hopefully get in front then think bout changes has the game progresses .

4: I'm more confident in this 11 than last year's 11 .( The balance looks better, players can compliment others attributes)

5: No predictions yet but I've bet vale for promotion b4 season started

Just go with the same team and employ the same tactics. If you sit back inevitably you'll concede and lose much more often than not against any decent side. There's nothing wrong with trying to be solid, but we should let Colchester worry about us as much as we worry about them.

It will be a difficult game tomorrow and I think many of us would take a hard earned point right now, but we can beat them 100% if we have the right mentality going into the game, and that will be set by Neil Aspin. If he set us up to be defensive and on the back foot then inevitably we will lose.

They won't fancy coming up against Miller and Pope, so lets actually get both of them well and truly in the game from the off.

Really looking forward to tomorrow, even though it will certainly be one of the toughest and probably most bruising games we'll play this season. Not for the faint hearted as Colchester have certainly set their stall out to be one of the most physically dominant teams in the league. Even though he might be tempted to add some extra height to cope, I don't think Aspo will change the team.

I think we can win if we play like the second half last week but it will take some doing as Colchester look strong all over the pitch, particularly in midfield. How much control we can exert will be key. It should also be a real contrast of styles - I expect them to do everything they can to subject us to an aerial bombardment and I also think they will try to batter Ricky into submission, either that or wind him up until he gets himself sent off. By contrast, I am sure the best way to play them is to stay calm and outpass them, particularly down the flanks.

We may end up losing but the best thing about our start, unlike last season, is that we look like we can win more than we'll lose. So even if we do come away with nothing, we've probably got one of the hardest away games out of the way and can still look forward to the rest of the season. It's going to be a fascinating contest.

Archived