onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread - Colchester U v Port Vale

Fosse69

Yes, after speaking to my Notts County fan mate at work who went to their game Saturday, Colchester are definitely a big physical unit that battled hard

This game will be won or lost in centre midfield I think. Have every faith that Joyce and Manny (the black Van De Laan) will ensure that we're not outfought.

Advert

Yes, after speaking to my Notts County fan mate at work who went to their game Saturday, Colchester are definitely a big physical unit that battled hard

Just had a quick look at the Colchester stats on wiki and they have SIX outfield players at six foot or more (most at 6'2" or above), so it will definitely be a physical battle next week. Apparently this was a deliberate tactic in the close season to make them a more physically formidable side and judging by Saturday, when they were unlucky not to win from an Eastman shot that hit the bar, it seems to be working. Quite a conundrum for Aspo as we have a much smaller outfit and defending set pieces and corners is going to be something of a challenge. Our best tactic will be to play it on the ground and down the wings but I'll leave that to Aspo.

It's going to be a cracker - can't wait!

Hence my earlier comment. I wasn't saying that you necessarily change a winning team but it's a lot more difficult away from home when you come under more pressure and you'd expect the home team to have a string of corners/free kicks.

It is a factor if you've only got two outfield players of similar height to their six as you will then struggle to mark all their players, leaving some of them favourites to win the aerial battle.

We lost a few high balls into our box at the weekend and it is something that Aspin needs to think about, depending on the opposition.

Just had a quick look at the Colchester stats on wiki and they have SIX outfield players at six foot or more (most at 6'2" or above), so it will definitely be a physical battle next week. Apparently this was a deliberate tactic in the close season to make them a more physically formidable side and judging by Saturday, when they were unlucky not to win from an Eastman shot that hit the bar, it seems to be working. Quite a conundrum for Aspo as we have a much smaller outfit and defending set pieces and corners is going to be something of a challenge. Our best tactic will be to play it on the ground and down the wings but I'll leave that to Aspo.

It's going to be a cracker - can't wait!

Yes that’ll be our tactics of course, but we know what their tactics will be. They just might overpower us if they are that big a side and score from corners and free kicks.

Could be a tricky game this

It’s an interesting one and I wouldn’t be too surprised to see Aspin change it up. Do we go there and play the same formation and attacking style or do we go there, expecting a physical battle and play a different way. It would be nice to see that we can change things around if needs be. There are surely going to be games where we will have to.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Aspin change it, to be honest.

I've not seen Legge yet. How tall is he? Is he good in the air?

Saw Legge in our last game at Cambridge when he came on as a sub. He is big - 6'4" - and good in the air. So, on reflection, thinking about the difficulties we'll have defending against such tall players, I also wouldn't be surprised if Aspo changed it for this game. From a simple practical point of view, the odds would be stacked against us at set pieces defending against 5 or 6 players well above six foot and perhaps there's good reason to change it and go 3-5-2, leaving the threat of Pope and Ricky intact.

Or maybe we'll just go and let them worry about us!

Saw Legge in our last game at Cambridge when he came on as a sub. He is big - 6'4" - and good in the air. So, on reflection, thinking about the difficulties we'll have defending against such tall players, I also wouldn't be surprised if Aspo changed it for this game. From a simple practical point of view, the odds would be stacked against us at set pieces defending against 5 or 6 players well above six foot and perhaps there's good reason to change it and go 3-5-2, leaving the threat of Pope and Ricky intact.

:yes:

This will be an indication of our confidence. (Or Aspo's confidence)

Unchanged and go for it OR Legge part of a back three to keep us solid for an hour, then go for it last 20-30 minutes. The tactics will be praised/slated dependent on the result. Early doors, I'd go for it. Let's score two or three per game and top the league!

I will never criticise if we've positive. Go on Vale!

Legge hasn't impressed in pre-season. Looked rather slow.

we shouldn't worry to much about the opposition let them worry about us for a change,another 3 points are possible and a draw wont be a calamity.

I agree. Play the same line-up and tactics and let's see where it takes us. If things need to change on the field of play then we make them.

Archived