onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Shopping list

RichG

I agree on the signing bit BUT to say a season of struggle awaits is a bit silly,we have some decent signings that have come in and lets see who else comes in before we say things like that,only my opinion of course
No problem with people's opinion at all.

I just don't feel like we will score enough goals again this season. Dodds will be pretty much first choice in the "number 10" position behind Pope, with Worrall on the right (who I rate) and Daniels on the left (who I've never seen play). I just can't see them creating much and none of our midfield are the creative type. That's why I think we will struggle unless some quality comes in.

The talk of Waters and Morais would have been fantastic but Norman seems to think he can pay McDonald's wages for Michelin star chefs.

Advert

The main reason I'm hopeful is not Dodds in isolation, but the other recruits.

I expect us to play 10 yards further forward this season, thus being closer to Pope, and Dodds has the artfulness to flourish in that limited space.

Use his talents to the full and he will be a good signing.

Play him anywhere else and he will fail.

With Pope, Dodds, Joyce and Worrall we now have genuine quality for L2 level. Those older heads need to utilise the pace of one or two of the younger players we have up front/ wing.

Attacking full backs (Gibbo and Monty) could be key to getting in behind teams and setting up the Pontiff.

Dodds And Joyce give us an option through the middle so hopefully we should see a better mix of passing next season, not just long ball.

I think the key to giving our full backs more license is to also have more mobile midfielders in front of that back 4, players that can shuffle across or fill gaps and maybe not be as static as we found last season with Pugh and tonge. Also having more options in front of that defence, instead of just launching it from the back having players who can play through the pitch like Joyce and Dodds.

I think for the vast majority of last season I can only really think of Worrall and Gibbons who tried to play and link up. We just didn't have enough of it all over the pitch and we became predictable. Signings like Dodds and Joyce mix that up, they add another option for us. If the lad from Aldershot works out we have a midfielder with an engine there, again something different to last seasons centre midfielders.

No problem with people's opinion at all.

I just don't feel like we will score enough goals again this season. Dodds will be pretty much first choice in the "number 10" position behind Pope, with Worrall on the right (who I rate) and Daniels on the left (who I've never seen play). I just can't see them creating much and none of our midfield are the creative type. That's why I think we will struggle unless some quality comes in.

The talk of Waters and Morais would have been fantastic but Norman seems to think he can pay McDonald's wages for Michelin star chefs.

Hannant will play on the left of a front 3 behind Pope.

Him, Worrall, Pope, Montano and Gibbons all played some decent football last season. Dodds in with that could work well.

Hannant will play on the left of a front 3 behind Pope.

Him, Worrall, Pope, Montano and Gibbons all played some decent football last season. Dodds in with that could work well.

I don't personally see Hannant as a wide player, he's better in the middle. He's more of a James Milner type on the wing but I feel we need a JMW type to create things out of nothing.

It's all about signing players now that will create chances, if we can create 10 chances a game I'd be happy that the players we have would finish a few, but we barely created anything last season and haven't addressed that yet. Those players cost money, which we have but won't spend yet!

It does look more hopeful but the jigsaw still lacks 2-3 final pieces.

It's hard to know how we'll set up and who will make the starting XI. I don't suppose Oyeleke and Daniels have come here to sit on the bench. Nor Dodds at his age. And could Rawlinson prove more than just cover for Smith? Plenty of unanswered questions.

Certainly in home games - if we are stronger at the back and have Joyce in front of the back four - we might even play more of a 4.4.2 formation, with room for Dodds as well as the strikers. We seem to have a lot of midfield players now though and they can't all play. Hannant is another interesting one. Where does he fit in, if at all? We can only field XI players!

I'm not entirely sold on this 4.2.3,1 set up. I can't see Worrall, Dodds and Hannant scoring enough goals, if we have one lone striker again. Worrall got 4 last year, Hannant 1. We need a lot more than that.

I still feel that several will leave before August so I'm convinced we still have 2-3 more additions to the squad to make. Like the last two seasons it's certainly interesting at this time of year as we all grapple with the names of new players. How many have we gone through in 24 months? 60-70? Time for a season of consolidation and stability.

I beg your pardon but the only person that I have sniped at for some time now is our owner and I will carry on doing so while he says and does stupid things.

Your analogy of racing carrys no water. Tom Pope not only came back but sweeped the board for the player of the year trophies, the fans voted for him the players voted for him but it appears that you are the only one who didn't! For my money Popey actually came back a better player than the Tom Pope who left us. His ball control and lay off play are top class. To say he has had one prolific season proves that you are talking nonsense 19 goals last term was a great return considering he was playing up front on his own and bear in mind he had a fair lay off due to his hernia problem.

You will no doubt point to his lack of pace but how can you lose something which he himself said he never had! What he hasn't lost is his heading ability which he will be able to continue for sometime yet injuries apart. How many years has Tom been our top scorer? Come on Howy don't keep digging holes for yourself.

Will you now be thanking the owner for bringing Louis back for you?Louis,himself,has.14 goals plus 3 free hits prolific?Good job the dross(your words) managed to score twice as many.Tom didn’t start playing til October last season.A decent run in December aswell and that’s basically it.Better than when he left?Carry on digging Owd,we may meet up one day.

Take this with a huuuuuuuge pinch of salt, as Unofficial Vale, after a good start, haven't been on form in recent weeks;

BREAKING: #PVFC Have bid an upfront £100,000 for Blackpool striker Mark Cullen

Yes, huge pinch of salt, more like a bucket, with this one. 28, in his prime with three seasons at Blackpool, playing in L1 and just signed an extension with a club who must see him as an integral part of their push for promotion. Good scoring record too:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Cullen_(footballer,_born_1992)

So why would he want to move to a club that’s just escaped relegation from L2? Blackpool desperate for money? Guarantee of a starting place? The odds all seem a bit long to me though it would be nice to be wrong.

I don't personally see Hannant as a wide player, he's better in the middle. He's more of a James Milner type on the wing but I feel we need a JMW type to create things out of nothing.

It's all about signing players now that will create chances, if we can create 10 chances a game I'd be happy that the players we have would finish a few, but we barely created anything last season and haven't addressed that yet. Those players cost money, which we have but won't spend yet!

I agree on Hannant, he is definitely more of a centre player but Aspin player him in that wide left role loads. Especially after converting Montano to left back. Would prefer to see an out and out winger there, though.

Everybody needs to calm down in relation to scoring goals. Nobody seems to have factored in that we will have a steady, experienced and much improved centre back partnership and a proper keeper which on their own must save 10-15 goals from being conceded.

I thought the whole point of preseason was to prepare the squad for the season. I guess it will make the Ireland trip cheaper if we don't have so many players.

Oh for the good old days when we were snapping up the likes of Kevin gall and Neil Mackenzie!

As for Dodds, I was always a big critic but he’s a better option then turner to be honest. As long as we get another out and out striker in.

There is only one person in charge of the purse strings at the Vale, and it ain't Aspo. We have had let downs for seasons now and under previous managers. Sorry but there is only one person to blame NS.

How is this Smurfs fault? The money is their in transfer fees. Aspin not smurf turns down one forward due to his wage demands.

Because Aspin is the big vale legend does not make him an aspirational manager who players want to come and play for. Aspin has one directional tactics makes clear favourites often getting it very wrong and a very poor record at vale of signing players. Two players have gone with egg on Aspins face this summer.

Really disappointed not to see at least a midfielder and two strikers with real potential from Aspin and Rudge.

I have no problem with Dodds coming back and he should get us some much needed goals. The only problem is that from what we are getting in the form of strikers / attacking mid fielders to what we were supposed to be promised (a proven league striker) is far from the mark.

Main worry is that if we have missed out on some quality players due to the owner then how long will Aspo (a man of integrity and straight talking no nonsense) sitck around as his best efforts are being undermined by the owner / club not backing him.

Are we alright referring to our older players as seniors or is that a step too far?

I've referred to my anti-smurf pamphlet and it doesn't have any information on senior players as apparently none of them will sign for us due to Smurf's reputation and peanut contract offers.

Archived