onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Shopping list

RichG

Or take it as gospel and then blame smurf when it turns out we were never in for him in the first place, or if he refers to him as mucker in the press.

We missed out on Dennis and Amond as we couldn't afford their wages.

You've taken the 'Smurf forgetting names of his own players' particularly hard ahahahhaha. Take a chill lad.

Advert

At the beginning of last season I was quite optimistic when Baldrick Brown bought in Pope,Montano,Wilson and Worrall.

Then we were rock bottom and couldn’t buy a win and Brown was replaced by Aspin.

By the end of December people were talking about play offs and the bubble burst and we were lucky to survive by one point.

Definitely a roller coaster of a season and hopefully we can do better in the coming season.

Unless we sign two decent strikers next season may be the same as last.Adding Louis Dodds to the geriatrics like Kay,Tonge and Pugh will not improve the team and is a backward step.Yes I do include John Rudge in this decision and feel disappointed that we are so desperate to sign players.At the end of June most players are out of contract and need to find a new club to put food on the table so will be desperate to get a contract.

Dodds is a better attacking midfield option than Pugh or Tonge.

You’re also making out as though he’s going to be partnered with one of those 3, when in reality I can see him playing in behind Pope in front of 2 from Oyeleke/Joyce/Kay who will do the running/ball winning.

Typica Vale fans moaning because we gave signed a few players with no football league experience and then moan when we sign a player with over a decade of playing in League One/Two.

I still think we'll see a couple more signings before the season starts. I have no other reason for thinking this than experience of observing how football operates over many years and that I think Aspo hasn't fulfilled his squad plans yet.

Like some others I'm not excited by the return of Dodds as I wouldn't have had him as a particular target but I'm not disappointed either, he's a 31 year old who's proven at this level and should bag a few goals if used correctly.

Hopefully he will have the attitude that he has something to prove.

Quite sad to see Dodds talk about reading a few negative comments about his return, and wanting to get more cheers than boos.

Was never a big of a fan as others were, but he's a promotion winning player, with 300+ appearances and over 50 goals for us. 8 years with us, never moaned about not playing, never could be criticised for lack of effort (despite inconsistency), and capable of true class on his day. He arrived with no connection to us but left with a genuine affinity for the club, rare in this day and age.

I can get not being a proper fan of his but I am staggered that some would level negativity to a lad, who at worst, will be a cheap, reliable squad player.

I'm sure he's a big boy and can handle a bit of stick but it just winds me up that useless mercenaries like Reggie were ******* lauded by some and a good, loyal lad like Dodds has to deal with this tripe.

Not forgetting he showed some loyalty by sticking with us when we were in admin. Unlike Artell.

Other than the GTC I'm no football guru but it seems to me:

Because a manager has a list of target players it doesn't follow such players will be interested to play for us - for whatever reason; and
    An owner offering good wages doesn't guarantee successful recruitment for a team just 1 point away from non-league status - regardless of the history as to why.

For all the ifs and buts the most important employee right now for our long journey home is Neil Aspin. For me he is the no nonsense sort of man we need, and in return he needs us to let him get on with the job.

Who'd be a manager eh!?

We've signed a proven league goalscorer. He also is a quality footballer on his day. At this level he should score (low) double figures and create lots of attacking play and assists.

Welcome back Doddsy.

Also, an established partnership with Pope and banter within the squad.

A pleasing addition.

No grudge against any Vale player even those on decline.You are the dense one with your continuing sniping at others at the club.But low and behold you’ve got your two worldies back at the club.Season ticket bought yet Owd to see those 40+ goals rattling in by the dynamic duo.There is an old saying in racing,’they never come back’.That applies to football aswell.
I beg your pardon but the only person that I have sniped at for some time now is our owner and I will carry on doing so while he says and does stupid things.

Your analogy of racing carrys no water. Tom Pope not only came back but sweeped the board for the player of the year trophies, the fans voted for him the players voted for him but it appears that you are the only one who didn't! For my money Popey actually came back a better player than the Tom Pope who left us. His ball control and lay off play are top class. To say he has had one prolific season proves that you are talking nonsense 19 goals last term was a great return considering he was playing up front on his own and bear in mind he had a fair lay off due to his hernia problem.

You will no doubt point to his lack of pace but how can you lose something which he himself said he never had! What he hasn't lost is his heading ability which he will be able to continue for sometime yet injuries apart. How many years has Tom been our top scorer? Come on Howy don't keep digging holes for yourself.

With Pope, Dodds, Joyce and Worrall we now have genuine quality for L2 level. Those older heads need to utilise the pace of one or two of the younger players we have up front/ wing.

Attacking full backs (Gibbo and Monty) could be key to getting in behind teams and setting up the Pontiff.

Dodds And Joyce give us an option through the middle so hopefully we should see a better mix of passing next season, not just long ball.

Maybe I'm deluded, but I'm warming to Dodds signing.

He scored 10 goals two seasons ago for Shrewsbury.

Last season squad player in a side ripping up trees.

The more I think about him in the team we have, the more hopeful I am.

Usually hate hope, but on this occasion, I'm hopeful my hopes will be fulfilled.

Here's hoping.

We missed out on Dennis and Amond as we couldn't afford their wages.

You've taken the 'Smurf forgetting names of his own players' particularly hard ahahahhaha. Take a chill lad.

I'm completely chilled. I've been enjoying my summer and was very bemused by the recent meltdown following the Nuneaton purchase, as if it has anything to do with us at all. Even more bemused by people taking offense on behalf of a potential signing for an old bloke calling him kid, especially given some of the vile things Smurf gets called.

If Synectics came in and implemented a strict wage structure everyone would love it.

I'm glad we're not paying stupid wages and if it means missing out on a few players who think they're well above their station then so be it. I'd rather we didn't run up even more debt than we're already in and it sounds to me that Smurf is trying to run us sustainably, albeit years too late.

We missed out on Dennis due to his wage demands but didn’t Amond allegedly just not turn up to discuss terms?

Cullen would be a great signing IF true. Can we match his wage though.

Don't know but it was probably Smurfs fault.

I thought all these quality players would flat out refuse to play for us because of Smurf tarnishing our reputation, now it seems that's not an issue at all and it's actually money?

Could Mr Smurthwaite please explain to fans why we we are unlikely to sign a proven striker this close season. This is yet ANOTHER transfer window where we have not obtained a striker, are we foolishly going to rely on Pope for a further season. Norman you are conning us all.

Correct he is taking the **** out of loyal fans as he knows we will still be there at the games

:angry:

Maybe I'm deluded, but I'm warming to Dodds signing.

He scored 10 goals two seasons ago for Shrewsbury.

Last season squad player in a side ripping up trees.

The more I think about him in the team we have, the more hopeful I am.

Usually hate hope, but on this occasion, I'm hopeful my hopes will be fulfilled.

Here's hoping.

And we're hoping you're right :yes:

Archived