onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Mad Gavs a Goner

Mattholl

Kay as a last resort. He's looked miles better in midfield and he was a complete liability as a centre-back. He seems to have found his calling for the autumn years of his career.

If we're going to run with a smaller squad then we're often to going to look thin at some positions if we pick up an injury. It's the risk you take and one I'm happy to take if it means more quality in the players we do have.

Very true - Kay has become an important player in his current position, and putting him back into the centre of defence is a double whammy - we lose his considerable influence in front of defence, and he has not been as good a player when used as a central defender. So it weakens 2 areas of the team in one foul (or should that be fowl) move, as it is clucking stupid to even consider changing his position.

Advert

Surely Aspin has to keep within the playing budget, up to him to value players within it?

It depends what the budget is, have we reached it have we exceeded it? My assumption rightly or wrongly is that we may have exceeded it due to the number of players we have. In that case would be depending on the owner to decide if we can bring in any more players and what he is willing to pay them

I am sure we will be OK, or at least I hope so but it is a bit strange that when we are taking it one game at a time and avoiding relegation is our first priority that we are signing a player on an 18 month contract who is not ready for the first team yet but not signing a player who has already proved his worth. Remember what happened in the last January transfer window, we lost 3 players and got relegated.

This is a good point, to improve we need to keep whats good and change what isn't whilst maintain standards, gunning did an excellent job in particular with partnering smith and was albeit for a short term our player unlike whitfield or Anderson who aren't and will be tougher to tie down should they impress as there is an extra obstacle in the way with having a parent club...

As others have said we don't know the full details of how much is wanted or offered by all parties but we should have been in pole position by being able to make an early offer .

It will be an interesting window but do have faith in aspo/rudge although having just started to turn the Titanic around we may miss out on a few targets

Losing Gav isn’t the end of the world as we have Kay who is flexible positionally, Davis, Pugh, Denton etc so plenty of options there. Can play Denton LB for example and Anderson and Smith would be preferred central pairing anyway.

Pointless throwing money at him if detriments what else we can do and clearly we don’t want to offer 18 months as dare say we will need to see what we can offload in terms of Aspin building his own side in the summer.

Whitfield is a tough one, we maybe should of negotiated earlier on this as we look like we might lose him ala Jones but we are league two and as with us getting Walker last year who got recalled from Stevenage to come, League one clubs would get preference. Be hard to replace him but surely loan options about to at least try and realistically safety is the main priority and we should achieve that comfortably regardless of Whitfield’s involvement. Unless we spend big he won’t be a long term signing so is unlikely to be part of the build for next season.

Hopefully we can get a couple of league two ready players to the squad in January anyway partly with next season in mind and to keep momentum going ahead of what is a huge season next year in terms of turning the fortunes of our club around.

Guess that is why he has the name mad Gav. He wants to play for teams that are struggling in the league and may go out of the league.

If he goes, then all the best and thank you for your efforts at Vale. Look forward to seeing you on the loosing side come Saturday.

All will be fine Sergio Ramos is on the radar. Seriously loans are as they say on the tin. A wage is a wage and loyalty does not happen. To invest in players these days costs so much, buy 2 top level Premier so called league defenders, 200 million plus wages. Soon be bankrupt. So all Vale can do is with what we have, worked harder and seem more stable. Get the fans back and then we can say yes things are better. I have seen fans smiling and also hoping for good times to return, to me that is a positive. Back on topic Ramos only wants 3 bacon oatcakes and a nice car

All will be fine Sergio Ramos is on the radar. Seriously loans are as they say on the tin. A wage is a wage and loyalty does not happen. To invest in players these days costs so much, buy 2 top level Premier so called league defenders, 200 million plus wages. Soon be bankrupt. So all Vale can do is with what we have, worked harder and seem more stable. Get the fans back and then we can say yes things are better. I have seen fans smiling and also hoping for good times to return, to me that is a positive. Back on topic Ramos only wants 3 bacon oatcakes and a nice car

I’ve heard that, but Norm has only offered two and a pushbike.

RS reports going to FGR. Jesus wept. I can't see why FGR would offer him a decent amount of money for a decent length of time, given the trouble they're in, staring relegation in the face? Surely they must be looking to budget for conference football next season? Or are they taking a punt in the hope of staying up? Either way, pride certainly not a factor in this decision, if true!

but isn't it a nice part of the country:doh::wacko:

I agree with the first part of your post. The problem with your statement about 'cant compete with Forest Green' is that we have no way of knowing if it is a case of CANT or WONT - maybe they offered megabucks (highly unlikely) or maybe they offered just a modest amount more and someone :blush: won't match an extra fiver a week - I remember stories last January about a very decent player (who would surely have kept us up) not being signed because he wanted an extra £50 a week.

We have no way of knowing right now, but as the month unfolds it may be easier to work out - if both Gunning and Whitfield go then that is not a promising start. As I say, we will see... Still watching carefull.

You said can’t. Yet now you say it’s highly unlikely that they offered megabucks. If we are making an offer to sign Whitfield then it’s fair to assume that affording gunnings wages wasn’t the issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I have no way of checking the veracity of Wiki pages, but if we accept them as correct then it seems GG's current average per season is 18.8 games i.e. 188 games from 2008 to 2018.

2008 Blackburn Rovers 0

2009 → Tranmere Rovers (loan) 6

2010 → Rotherham United (loan) 21

2010 → Bury (loan) 2

2011 → Motherwell (loan) 14

2011-2014 Dundee United 83

2014-2015 Birmingham City 0

2015 Oldham Athletic 0

2015-2016 Dundee United 19

2016-2017 Greenock Morton 10

2017 Grimsby Town 14

2017-2018 Port Vale 19