onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Mad Gavs a Goner

Mattholl

Advert

I have no way of checking the veracity of Wiki pages, but if we accept them as correct then it seems GG's current average per season is 18.8 games i.e. 188 games from 2008 to 2018.

2008 Blackburn Rovers 0

2009 → Tranmere Rovers (loan) 6

2010 → Rotherham United (loan) 21

2010 → Bury (loan) 2

2011 → Motherwell (loan) 14

2011-2014 Dundee United 83

2014-2015 Birmingham City 0

2015 Oldham Athletic 0

2015-2016 Dundee United 19

2016-2017 Greenock Morton 10

2017 Grimsby Town 14

2017-2018 Port Vale 19

I know he's probably been on a lot more elsewhere but if those stats are to be believed he shouldn't be so quick to turn down the Vale.

Okay, we don't know what we're offering but as long as it's a decent, competitive wage then surely he can see that he's better off with us - having given him a decent run of games that looked set to continue before this lay off.

If he is asking for more than we can afford however then one man is not bigger than the club. However if it is to be believed that it is down to contract length rather than salary - give him what he wants! He's proven himself as a good player: Done a job at left back whilst looking very impressive when moving across to his more natural centre half role.

If he plays for FGR i won't boo him. Can't blame him for wanting security, as the above post suggests he is somewhat a bit of a nomad/ journeyman.

He did a decent enough job for us, more so in the middle than at left back.

Shame he didn't want to stop. his prerogative.

Is he a big loss? Nope.

Shame, because he's been part of the revival under Aspin. Seems like an odd move, but then again he's an odd character.

Given his record I can't say I'm surprised as it looks like he follows the money - as do most pros nowadays. The days of a Roy Sproson are long gone. Good luck to him though as he was a reasonable performer while here.

Right my take on wages at a club like Vale .

U win and u perform to a level what gets people talking about you in a good light then as long as you are attracting more support then your wage can be increased somewhat by each performance .

So for example v Cambridge u win u get a basic bonus as crowd not that large in league two terms .

V Coventry and Luton u got more punters in u won well i dont mind you being rewarded properly and hopefully the buzz u gave the folk who attended them games can spread the word and get the dormant out off there armchairs and into the ground .

Gavin Gunning at centre half was magnificent ,im a little sad he is going but its his choice as in the cold light of day is money more important than success as i feel Vale may still get automatic promotion as long as every player carries on exactly as they are .

Does for example Sanchez value winning things more than money as at the end of the day ,surely you wamt to win things as money can be squandered but ya medals r always there .

Sent from my [device_name] using the http://onevalefan mobile app

Right my take on wages at a club like Vale .

U win and u perform to a level what gets people talking about you in a good light then as long as you are attracting more support then your wage can be increased somewhat by each performance .

So for example v Cambridge u win u get a basic bonus as crowd not that large in league two terms .

V Coventry and Luton u got more punters in u won well i dont mind you being rewarded properly and hopefully the buzz u gave the folk who attended them games can spread the word and get the dormant out off there armchairs and into the ground .

Gavin Gunning at centre half was magnificent ,im a little sad he is going but its his choice as in the cold light of day is money more important than success as i feel Vale may still get automatic promotion as long as every player carries on exactly as they are .

Does for example Sanchez value winning things more than money as at the end of the day ,surely you wamt to win things as money can be squandered but ya medals r always there .

That's sort of how it works in Germany, where wages are much more bonus orientated. You get a basic wage, but have good performance based bonuses.

What the lad probably needs is stability and to be a part of a stable dressing room. We'll probably never know the full circumstances but he may rue the decision to add another club to his CV. The money may not be what he wants at the moment but he may well have put himself in a decent position in the summer. To be wanted and playing first team games can only put you in the shop window for better clubs and better pay. He can only hope he's part of his next clubs plans.

What the lad probably needs is stability and to be a part of a stable dressing room. We'll probably never know the full circumstances but he may rue the decision to add another club to his CV. The money may not be what he wants at the moment but he may well have put himself in a decent position in the summer. To be wanted and playing first team games can only put you in the shop window for better clubs and better pay. He can only hope he's part of his next clubs plans.

Depends on how FGR finish the season. I have a feeling he's a gamble to try to keep them up, and that's why they're prepared to outbid Vale. If FGR go down though he'll be offloaded as they won't want to pay that sort of money in the National League.

You said can’t. Yet now you say it’s highly unlikely that they offered megabucks. If we are making an offer to sign Whitfield then it’s fair to assume that affording gunnings wages wasn’t the issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Perhaps you could read my posts more carefully, I said it could be 'can't OR won't' and that we have no way of knowing.

The latter part of your post is irrational in my opinion it is perfectly possible, even likely, that the owner has said 'You can have one, but not both' and Aspin has wisely gone for Whitfield. It is highly likely that it would cost just a smallish amount to get Gunning to stay but someone is being obstinate and short-sighted.

Anyone considered that Gav may have realised he was now playing in a Team that were improving rapidly and that , as his past career shows, he knew of his own deficiencies? He may have felt he was perhaps going to struggle to keep up performances and as his contract was due wanted to move on, seemingly, with respect to FGR as they are a "lesser" club than us, to be in a Team where he may be not so overawed by better players. Just a thought- he has moved regularly and not always to better Teams. My opinion is that he may have had a few reasonable games for Vale but honestly we can get better and I don't think he would hack it consistently if we were to be promoted or we had a concerted push for promotion. Thanks for his efforts but we move on. My opinion.

I’ll be sad to see him go. He has done a very steady job for us and a bit of a fan favourite.

However, he is far from irreplaceable.

At a guess, we offered him another 6 months with a small pay rise and someone else has offered 18 months and a bit more money. At our level, and his age, you can’t blame the bloke.

Archived