onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Mad Gavs a Goner

Mattholl

I would say Aspin wanted to keep him at the right price and wasn't prepared to pay him like he's one of the first 3 or 4 names on the teamsheet when he place in the side was under pressure from Pugh playing well at left-back and Anderson recovering from illness.

If Crewe (Or anyone else for that matter) want to pay him like that, fair enough. It'll be desperation in January, decent players are hard to find and normally command a good wage as they are in control. Gunning is a decent player, has played well in the main this season and is out of contract. He's going to find the money, and who can blame him. We obviously don't think he's worth what others want to pay him.

I would imagine the wages side will be down to Smurf or Garlick? Aspin and Rudge decides who they want and Smurf would decide how much we can pay them. The problem is we have a large squad with players not in contention that probably no one else wants. If you pay off their contracts it doesnt leave any money to bring in other players and as Aspin hinted the money spent on Yates contract has detracted from the budget and maybe a reason Gunning wasnt offered the contract he wanted.

Advert

I would imagine the wages side will be down to Smurf or Garlick? Aspin and Rudge decides who they want and Smurf would decide how much we can pay them. The problem is we have a large squad with players not in contention that probably no one else wants. If you pay off their contracts it doesnt leave any money to bring in other players and as Aspin hinted the money spent on Yates contract has detracted from the budget and maybe a reason Gunning wasnt offered the contract he wanted.
Surely Aspin has to keep within the playing budget, up to him to value players within it?

FGR will be desperate to stay in the league having worked so hard to get here and as such may be prepared to bring in a few proven players who will come for some enhanced wages. Could well be a package that says £x a week for y months if we stay up but terminated in May if we go down. Remember, they're not Vale, they have a sensible and successful businessman in charge.

My own take on Gavin Gunning the last two games at centre half terrific and had some very good games at left back also .

He also had some poor ones but good luck to the lad if he can get a better deal elsewhere then he is going to isnt he .

We move on there is nowt we can do about it .

If we cannot afford to offer him what he wants surely he isnt going stay as that old chestnut will come out .

Its only a short career .

UTV we move on

Sent from my [device_name] using the http://onevalefan mobile app

If he really is going to FGR, then that does ring an alarm bell or two - what have we come to when we cannot (or is it WILL not ?) compete with, all due respect, the bottom of the league side with no league history ?

Should they sign him, take points off us next game and leave us looking at him as man of the match, then their extra fiver a week and tofu pasty will look quite a bargain for them.

Forest Green Rovers have some of the best, most progressive and likeable chairman and owners in the entire league. I wish them well to stay in the league and carry on their steady progress.

FGR will be desperate to stay in the league having worked so hard to get here and as such may be prepared to bring in a few proven players who will come for some enhanced wages. Could well be a package that says £x a week for y months if we stay up but terminated in May if we go down. Remember, they're not Vale, they have a sensible and successful businessman in charge.

Successful yes...sensible...well obviously not...he owns a football club!!!

If he really is going to FGR, then that does ring an alarm bell or two - what have we come to when we cannot (or is it WILL not ?) compete with, all due respect, the bottom of the league side with no league history ?

Should they sign him, take points off us next game and leave us looking at him as man of the match, then their extra fiver a week and tofu pasty will look quite a bargain for them.

Forest Green Rovers have some of the best, most progressive and likeable chairman and owners in the entire league. I wish them well to stay in the league and carry on their steady progress.

I'd guess we offered what we thought he was worth and didn't want to offer anymore. I would've liked to see him stay but everyone has their value and I presume aspin and Norman don't think he is worth what forest green do.

Other than saturday I wish him well as he did always give it is all.

Must be some pretty big perks in there for gunning to move to bottom of the league, that I don't think vale would think it's worth matching.

Some ridiculous comments. It doesn’t mean he has no loyalty or ambition, it means he was offered a contract which gives him stability and can pay the bills. He won’t have been on much for us. And it doesn’t mean we can’t compete with forest green, it means we aren’t desperate to spend more than we feel he was worth.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Surely Aspin has to keep within the playing budget, up to him to value players within it?

If so why waste money on Adam Yates who has only played two games in the Micky mouse cup.The money could have been used to offer Gavin Green a decent contract.Green must be desperate unless he is happy to play in the conference next season.Must be favourite for a red card on Saturday.

If so why waste money on Adam Yates who has only played two games in the Micky mouse cup.The money could have been used to offer Gavin Green a decent contract.Green must be desperate unless he is happy to play in the conference next season.Must be favourite for a red card on Saturday.
Don't start on about yates again or you'll be hounded off this forum by those who were slating the club for even thinking of releasing him.

Some ridiculous comments. It doesn’t mean he has no loyalty or ambition, it means he was offered a contract which gives him stability and can pay the bills. He won’t have been on much for us. And it doesn’t mean we can’t compete with forest green, it means we aren’t desperate to spend more than we feel he was worth.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I agree with the first part of your post. The problem with your statement about 'cant compete with Forest Green' is that we have no way of knowing if it is a case of CANT or WONT - maybe they offered megabucks (highly unlikely) or maybe they offered just a modest amount more and someone :blush: won't match an extra fiver a week - I remember stories last January about a very decent player (who would surely have kept us up) not being signed because he wanted an extra £50 a week.

We have no way of knowing right now, but as the month unfolds it may be easier to work out - if both Gunning and Whitfield go then that is not a promising start. As I say, we will see... Still watching carefull.

Don't start on about yates again or you'll be hounded off this forum by those who were slating the club for even thinking of releasing him.

Good advice. And you only have to glance at the Oatcake and see the mileage they got out of it to know how much damage the whole episode did to the club and its reputation - and I shudder to think how much more would have been done throughout football (the Oatcake doesn't matter much, but other media sites do) if common sense and decency (?) had not won the day.

However, when a club owner (of any club) has tens of millions it is hardly a case of funding one small cost or another - both would be like us having to pay 5p more on a weekly shop.

We have to reduce our squad which is way too large for this division to create the room to bring in better players. My thoughts are that we release/move on the players who aren't featuring or even on the bench. I don't think Gav fell into this category. Not sure of his terms when he joined us but was probably not on much due to his chequered past. However his performances have put him into our first team and therefore he should be rewarded accordingly. If that's not good enough then so be it. In Aspin we trust.

I do trust Aspin, and I trust Rudgey even more !

But both, as Rudge did previously with Bill Bell, have to and can only do what the funds provided allow them to.

I don't think we can assume for sure that the overall funding related aim is to reduce the squad size to make room for better players, it is also possible that the priority from the funding source is just to reduce the wage bill, full stop. We will see - still watching.

Archived