onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Signings - Part 2

Aussie Rules

I notice that Gavin Gunning played under Mixu Paatelainen, a known 'friend' of Norman, at Dundee.

Also I thought it bizarre that there were two trialists from overseas, one being from Monaco's youth team. Especially as Browny is preaching the need for local players, or those that know the league.

Makes me wonder if Norman is sticking his nose in again when it comes to players. Did Mixu recommend Gavin? Did Normans old scouting network suggest Gaytam and Nicholas?

Or did Browny actually find these players and its all a coincidence?

I await with interest the team news for tonights game.

Probably coincidence considering we've just paid off almost all of them

Advert

I notice that Gavin Gunning played under Mixu Paatelainen, a known 'friend' of Norman, at Dundee.

Also I thought it bizarre that there were two trialists from overseas, one being from Monaco's youth team. Especially as Browny is preaching the need for local players, or those that know the league.

Makes me wonder if Norman is sticking his nose in again when it comes to players. Did Mixu recommend Gavin? Did Normans old scouting network suggest Gaytam and Nicholas?

Or did Browny actually find these players and its all a coincidence?

I await with interest the team news for tonights game.

Well Gunning played for Grimsby last season so is hardly a left field arrival. Is a bit strange to see two foreigners with no professional football experience on trial though. hmm

Have a mate who is a Grimsby fan and asked his opinion on Gunning, I quote below.

Oh dear God, I nearly gave up football because of him. He was one of the worst players I have seen at Blundell Park. He is a five red card a season player and an out and out nutter.

Its only his opinion but worryingly my mate is a sensible guy who has watched Grimsby for years.

Have a mate who is a Grimsby fan and asked his opinion on Gunning, I quote below.

Oh dear God, I nearly gave up football because of him. He was one of the worst players I have seen at Blundell Park. He is a five red card a season player and an out and out nutter.

Its only his opinion but worryingly my mate is a sensible guy who has watched Grimsby for years.

Strange that - he's only had 2 red cards in his entire career.

I have a mate here in East Yorkshire who played with Green (if fully fit after leg break) at Luton and Tonge at Barnsley and reckons both would be great signings despite age etc. I know people are knocking Browns old guard but experience is essential in this league. We tried the youth experiment last season and say no more. I trust Browny to get the balance right.

Grimsby played him in midfield when he's been a centrehalf all his career and he struggled. As a centrehalf he's been quite well thought of ... but he is a nutter. He was the guy who decided to randomly pick up the ball and walk off the park in Scotland a few years ago. Malbon is another who fits in to the interesting character definition, without doubt a talented football but prone to doing some odd things. He should have enjoyed a career as a professional footballer, but he gets easily distracted and his talent has never really gone beyond potential.

I have a mate here in East Yorkshire who played with Green (if fully fit after leg break) at Luton and Tonge at Barnsley and reckons both would be great signings despite age etc. I know people are knocking Browns old guard but experience is essential in this league. We tried the youth experiment last season and say no more. I trust Browny to get the balance right.

I remember Michael Tonge well from his Sheff Utd days. A cracking player that sort of levelled off when he went to Stoke and was never used. I haven't seen him play since then.

Key word is balance. Nothing wrong with an old head who has fresh legs around him. Don't see Pugh & Tonge both starting nor giving 40-50 games, but between them they could.

Gunning would be an adequate 4th choice CB. In terms of Malbon, I've always been in favour of taking punts on non-league strikers. We were stung with the Chasetown lads but Malbon has a pretty decent record in non-league. A 3 month, weight/fitness incentivised deal with an extension should he play in a certain number of games would suit everyone. He'd have an incentive to knuckle down, if that isn't enough he can **** off back to Kidsgrove, if he sorts himself out we're benefitting.

Gunning would be an adequate 4th choice CB. In terms of Malbon, I've always been in favour of taking punts on non-league strikers. We were stung with the Chasetown lads but Malbon has a pretty decent record in non-league. A 3 month, weight/fitness incentivised deal with an extension should he play in a certain number of games would suit everyone. He'd have an incentive to knuckle down, if that isn't enough he can **** off back to Kidsgrove, if he sorts himself out we're benefitting.

How much would you pay him?

Green isn't that old (just turned 29) and I would say doesn't fit into the vintage category of Pugh and Tonge. If he's fit, he would bring a lot of much needed league experience, including promotion with Dagenham, Charlton and Milton Keynes. Just the kind of player we need if we're going to mount a promotion challenge ourselves.

As you say, Brown has to get the balance right.

Archived