onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Signings - Part 2

Aussie Rules

I'm ambivalent about Tongue. I know a couple of Stevenage fans and they felt Tongue was under used last season, following a change in manager. There view was he is decent sitting in front of the back 4 as a holding midfielder. In terms of team selection it would probably be him or Pugh, although Pugh has played left back and centre half. It depends partly on what wage he wants, it may be he just wants to carry on somewhere and money isn't an issue. I think he lives in Cheshire. If he wants big money no way. He's a player who falls in to the pretty wealthy category, so the money within our wage structure will be pretty insignificant to him.

Our only other option in centre-mid is Reeves currently (I'm assuming DeFreitas is being seen as a wide man). So whoever we bring in needs to be a starter. Is that Tonge? I don't think so, I think we need someone more attacking with an eye for a goal. It's going to be hard to find someone but hopefully we can.

Advert

Agreed on Green.

The only issue with putting players like Walker and Turner at right wing is are they disciplined enough to do the defensive role that it also demands there? But I think its definitely an option to try.

I thought Turner and Walker seemed very similar players.

It's pity about Green as he has the kind of pedigree we need to compete in L2. I haven't seen Walker but I thought I'd read comments on here that he was left, not right footed?

Our only other option in centre-mid is Reeves currently (I'm assuming DeFreitas is being seen as a wide man). So whoever we bring in needs to be a starter. Is that Tonge? I don't think so, I think we need someone more attacking with an eye for a goal. It's going to be hard to find someone but hopefully we can.

De Freitas played in the middle last night and looked quality. He should be first choice in there, and will probably play with Pugh. Given a full fit season I wouldn't be surprised if ADF chipped in with 10 goals too

It's pity about Green as he has the kind of pedigree we need to compete in L2. I haven't seen Walker but I thought I'd read comments on here that he was left, not right footed?

Walker is indeed left footed, and from what I saw last night I think he would be a really good signing. He looks as though he could play in any of the forward positions, including out wide. He's a decent set piece taker as well, something we always struggle with

Personally I feel we're a few signings off being ready, but we are looking at the right areas with the trialists that have been brought in. I still think we're lacking:

RB - Eardley maybe? Another injury prone player though. Feel like we missed out with Brindley although he probably wants to stay down south.

LB - Brown admitted that Kelly wasn't brought in to go straight into the side so I find it slightly odd we haven't seen a trailist in this position yet? I think there was a foreign lad at Kidsgrove but he wasn't used at Newcastle.

CM - another box-to-box engine to partner De Freitas. I'd like to see Guy back too, but that would be in addition to a permanent signing in this position rather than as opposed to.

CAM - seens as Eagles doesn't look to be signing [although I'd love this to change] we need someone who can be a creative spark when needed. Tom Walker has looked good in the trail games and his set pieces last night really impressed me (maybe he can fit the agenda for this and the previous position?)

RW - At least one other winger is a must. Obviously we've had Green on trail but Brown doesn't seem keen until he proves his fitness which is understandable, so maybe we might see someone else come in? Not entirely sure on Whitehouse as he didn't seem to have the best of nights at Newcastle.

So that would make five signings - six if you include Guy.

Then you could throw in Gunning who looks more of a unit than our other defenders and was very vocal last night. But signing him would possibly make the signing of either Kay or Davis somewhat unnecessary. We really are lacking in height though, Smith looks the biggest out of the contracted lot.

[quote=PV1993;748991

Then you could throw in Gunning who looks more of a unit than our other defenders and was very vocal last night. But signing him would possibly make the signing of either Kay or Davis somewhat unnecessary. We really are lacking in height though, Smith looks the biggest out of the contracted lot.

Yes, we're really lacking in height at the back. So far, we have:

Kay 5'11"

Smith 5'11"

Davis 6'0"

So we need a bit more height (and weight) at the back. Other L2 teams will see this and bombard our defence - which is another good reason for getting two good full backs.

Aspin and Glover didn't have much height between them but that was tier two and this is tier four!

Kay 5'11"

Smith 5'11"

Davis 6'0"

So we need a bit more height (and weight) at the back. Other L2 teams will see this and bombard our defence - which is another good reason for getting two good full backs.

Aspin and Glover didn't have much height between them but that was tier two and this is tier four!

That doesn't worry me one bit tbh as Smith rarely missed a header last season and also chipped in with 5 goals

De Freitas played in the middle last night and looked quality. He should be first choice in there, and will probably play with Pugh. Given a full fit season I wouldn't be surprised if ADF chipped in with 10 goals too

Agree 100%, he looked at home in the middle and his second goal was a class finish. Didn't have a centre mid capable of that last season. I thought he tackled well and was full of running.

Kay 5'11"

Smith 5'11"

Davis 6'0"

Smith is pretty good in the air, Pugh and ADF are also good headers of the ball. Gunning may be a very useful addition though.

He hasn't scored a single competitive goal yet so it is a big ask to suddenly expect the lad to notch 10.

He hasn't scored a single competitive goal yet so it is a big ask to suddenly expect the lad to notch 10.

I'd agree with that too. But on the other side of the coin, hes had a year now to adapt to English football and hes now dropped down a league. That may help him.

I'd agree with that too. But on the other side of the coin, hes had a year now to adapt to English football and hes now dropped down a league. That may help him.

I agree PV1973, just don't want us getting ahead of ourselves cos he got a couple against Castle Town. Does anyone , Brown included know his best position in the team ? Is he central midfielder or out left as often was used ?

I hope we will see a lot fitter and better impact but goals wise we shall see. Hope CJ is right and he bags a load.

I agree PV1973, just don't want us getting ahead of ourselves cos he got a couple against Castle Town. Does anyone , Brown included know his best position in the team ? Is he central midfielder or out left as often was used ?

I hope we will see a lot fitter and better impact but goals wise we shall see. Hope CJ is right and he bags a load.

I don't think he will be any better than Billy Reeves who has come through the youth system and been on loan to non league in this country. People are saying he (Billy) is not ready for the first team yet but his development has been more progressive than ADFs.

I don't think he will be any better than Billy Reeves who has come through the youth system and been on loan to non league in this country. People are saying he (Billy) is not ready for the first team yet but his development has been more progressive than ADFs.

Personally completely disagree. Adf was the one last year who looked like he had something along with eagles. For someone young playing their first season in English football he was decent. Reeves was alright as well but to me it was more down to effort and enthusiasm rather than quality. I personally think adf will shine this season and that reeves should be loaned out for the full year to non league, as in the league below us not teams like Stafford rangers.

Archived