onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Do we sign ryan taylor ?

darren1810

I personally think that short-term we should need him. We're a very inexperienced side as it is and so even if he's not doing that much on the pitch his experience around the dressing room, training pitches could be useful. I'm not saying that we should simply keep him just because he adds experience but perhaps if he gets some coaching duties as well he could be worth keeping till the end of the season. There's also the issue that Purkiss has only just returned from injury so Taylor is also cover there.

However, if he gets a decent long-term offer from the States and an offer of a few months more from the Vale then I think the decision may be out of our hands anyhow and he'd be off.

Advert

For me definitely don't want us to sign him.

OK, he may not have been at full fitness but frankly for an ex Premier player he offered and gave us VERY little at all. Last few games he has been absolutely dire and I dread to think what wage he was wasting for us. That money surely could be spent on a more appropriate replacement.

However as a "mate" of Brown's no doubt if Brown stays then so will Taylor. Waste!

constantly gives the ball away and his set prices have been woeful. Don't see what he brings to the team and I don't think it's any coincidence that him coming into the team has coincided with our awful football.

Bit harsh that. We were playing crap well before Taylor arrived. Perhaps he would look better if he'd come into a team on the up rather than the opposite. I have a soft spot for Taylor but I agree he has not been as effective as I'd hoped. Perhaps signing him or not will depend very much on what sort of money he wants. If he's happy with a small wedge I'd keep him for his experience.

I think one of the problems we've had all season is that the balance of the team isn't right. Grant and Taylor are arguably both defensive minded players and neither get forward much. Grant sometimes is given licence to play further forward in the second half of games but neither he nor Taylor are remotely a goal threat (dead balls expected). De Freitas isn't the answer either. We very badly miss Foley (and Dodds) in midfield as both had the energy and eye for a goal that we badly lack at the minute.

Who knows if Grant will stay or go this month. If so then Taylor might be as good a short term replacement as we can get, but I'm not convinced we've got the balance right at all in midfield. We need a fast right winger and a creative central player.

I think one of the problems we've had all season is that the balance of the team isn't right. Grant and Taylor are arguably both defensive minded players and neither get forward much. Grant sometimes is given licence to play further forward in the second half of games but neither he nor Taylor are remotely a goal threat (dead balls expected). De Freitas isn't the answer either. We very badly miss Foley (and Dodds) in midfield as both had the energy and eye for a goal that we badly lack at the minute.

Who knows if Grant will stay or go this month. If so then Taylor might be as good a short term replacement as we can get, but I'm not convinced we've got the balance right at all in midfield. We need a fast right winger and a creative central player.

For me when you have a couple of defensive midfielders in front of the back four then you need to have decent wingers and also full backs that can get forward too. We've got a centre half at left back, so getting forward isn't his natural game and for a lot of games we've had a left back at left mid too. Right wing we've made do with a forward or even played Taylor there. So for me the wings positions need addressing, this would give us more balance for us to be able to play players in their rightful positions.

Bit harsh that. We were playing crap well before Taylor arrived. Perhaps he would look better if he'd come into a team on the up rather than the opposite. I have a soft spot for Taylor but I agree he has not been as effective as I'd hoped. Perhaps signing him or not will depend very much on what sort of money he wants. If he's happy with a small wedge I'd keep him for his experience.

Wouldn,t be to do with his Toon connection rather than what he has actually offered to us by any chance ?

I wouldn't prioritise his contract that's for certain. Don't think Purkiss is having any real problems playing now his really nasty shoulder injury has healed up. Mac-intsh can play there plus we have Gibbons if were getting too short.

In the middle we really need creativity and movement, Taylor offers neither. However as some have mentioned if Grant is on his way then perhaps we're short of first team level midfielders. Hope to see this fixed before the end of the window anyway with one coming in, If Grant goes, Taylor is alright till the end of season.

Archived