Paedophile coach at Crewe?

valeparklife

I totally agree and I think Pete Morse's coverage in the Crewe Chronicle is highly questionable too.

Some very serious incidents appeared to have happened and his response in this article is to complain about... "the club’s good name being dragged through the gutter by the national press".

Firstly, it's not about the club - it's about serious sexual abuse. Plus there are surely more important things here than Crewe's reputation! But that's the Chronicle's Crewe reporter's sole contribution to the issue - not to investigate more, not to question how this was allowed to happen but to complain that it damages the club's reputation!

Astonishing! :ohmy:

Link - http://www.crewechronicle.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/crewe-alex-opinion-point-solace-12204142?

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was talking to a friend whos a Crewe fan and the talk amongst his group of fans he goes with is that they are worried this will trigger a more full blown investigation (which is what should happen IMO). They are also concerned with the clubs level of invesitagtion at the time and if anyone else knew or turned a blind eye to what was going on.

Yet the point is being missed that there are innocent child victims here. They and their parents put their trust in these people.

I think that this former player coming froward may mean others come forward too, and if recent historic child abuse investigations are anything to go by then I'd expect Crewe and any other club implicated to be getting a visit.

I heard rumours of this stuff going on at Crewe in the 80`s from one person who at one time had close relations with the club but would not while "that pervert" was still connected with them. He also told me that similar stuff happened at Stoke as well, which as Bennel also worked there, would not be a total surprise. Shut them both down I say!

I totally agree and I think Pete Morse's coverage in the Crewe Chronicle is highly questionable too.

Some very serious incidents appeared to have happened and his response in this article is to complain about... "the club’s good name being dragged through the gutter by the national press".

Firstly, it's not about the club - it's about serious sexual abuse. Plus there are surely more important things here than Crewe's reputation! But that's the Chronicle's Crewe reporter's sole contribution to the issue - not to investigate more, not to question how this was allowed to happen but to complain that it damages the club's reputation!

Astonishing! :ohmy:

Link - http://www.crewechronicle.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/crewe-alex-opinion-point-solace-12204142?

Always a risk of the club's name being dragged through the gutter when you are accused of running a paedophile ring I guess.

How big is a pedophile ring?.... the strange thing about pedophiles is [one of the strange things that is] that no matter how low they fly under the radar they like to share.

Given the length of time that it went on I would be shocked if no one else knew about it or in fact had taken part in some way.

Indeed it is. What was actually done by Crewe at the time of Bennell's arrest and conviction? Was an investigation held by the club? If not, why not? I see Gradi says "It was a long time ago and for all intents and purposes it was dealt with at the time." How was it dealt with? Does he mean by the Courts? How was it dealt with in the club? Saying it was a long time ago is irrelevant - is there a statute of limitation on child sexual abuse that I wasn't aware of? This whole affair stinks to high heaven yet the local media are largely ignoring it.

I'm not excusing Crewe but we are looking back at this from the position of what would happen now..not what was required/expected/posible at the time. We can still judge their inaction but it has to be put into a context of how things were at the time..there wasn't the protection for whistleblowers at the time for example so individuals might have not felt able to come forward.

Anyways..it should be investigated now to get the guilty and hopefully enable more victims to come forward and get help

Morse is a **** you only have to listen to his waffle on Radio Stoke as Crewe 'summariser' to realise that. Like through most of last season he would comment how well Crewe were playing at times and they weren't far away, when in actual fact they were the worst team in the division by some distance! Clearly if all he can comment on is 'Crewe's reputation' when children have been sexually abused by a former club employee I give up!:doh:

I honestly think Crewe and everyone associated with the club(directors, media etc) live in a bubble. Like there is Crewe Alex and there's everyone else. As eluded to on the previous pages we're perhaps now starting to see what the 'Crewe Way' was all about!

I'm not excusing Crewe but we are looking back at this from the position of what would happen now..not what was required/expected/posible at the time. We can still judge their inaction but it has to be put into a context of how things were at the time..there wasn't the protection for whistleblowers at the time for example so individuals might have not felt able to come forward.

Anyways..it should be investigated now to get the guilty and hopefully enable more victims to come forward and get help

Are you saying, JA, that in those days it was acceptable not to hold an internal inquiry into how a man like Bennell had been allowed free rein at the club and be allowed to use the house of the club manager to carry out some of his offences? It is becoming increasingly clear that Bennell was the guy who was caught but not the only one involved so are we saying it was OK for Crewe to keep employing other likely guilty parties?

And for Morse to talk about dragging the club's good name through the gutter is scandalous. As far as I'm concerned, the gutter is where Crewe's name deserves to be.

I'll never forget the day my old man sat me down and asked whether Barry had ever touched me in a way he shouldn't have. Luckily for me I mustn't have been his type, so it came as quite a shock, but there were rumours at the time that a lad a year older than me had been. I was 11 when I started training with Stoke's School of Excellence, which then led to me going to Stone Dominoes where Barry was their youth coach. He had a younger bloke as his assistant, I'm pretty sure it'll be him that Woodward is referring to as knowing what was going on. When it all came out and I heard about how he'd get his victims scared by telling them ghost stories it sent a shiver down my spine. I remember going to the peak district for an overnight stay at a youth hostel in the middle of nowhere, when it was pitch black he took us all out in a mini bus and told loads of ghost stories and showed us places where he said local witches lived. I remember being scared at the time. Nothing happened to me but it got me thinking about whether it had to someone else. He impressed everyone around him at the time, constantly flashing the cash and showing off his football skills. In the end I remember not being selected by Stone Dominoes so I got pissed off and left them and Stoke at the same time. This would have been around 1993. Makes you sick thinking that it went on for so long, people knew, and yet so many more young lads were put in harms way. When I get into arguments with Crewe fans on different forums they're so adamant that anyone who accuses their staff of being a paedophile is lower than low. They haven't got a clue, and a lot of people at Stoke would have a lot to answer also.

Are you saying, JA, that in those days it was acceptable not to hold an internal inquiry into how a man like Bennell had been allowed free rein at the club and be allowed to use the house of the club manager to carry out some of his offences?

Acceptable to whom? I never said anything about it being acceptable to anyone. My point was that the mechanisms and protection we have in place now didn't exist then which will have deterred some people from speaking up. It's not acceptable but is a reason why some maybe did not speak up.

It is becoming increasingly clear that Bennell was the guy who was caught but not the only one involved so are we saying it was OK for Crewe to keep employing other likely guilty parties?

Without proof of guilt or an admission or a guilty verdict in a court of law on what grounds would Crewe have terminated their employment? Suspicion? Accusations? Of course it would be completely wrong for Crewe to keep employing any proven guilty parties and it would have been so much better if Crewe had carried out thorough investigations and helped expose these people at the time. You can't terminate someone's employment cos of accusations or suspicions (there would be innocent school teachers being dismissed/suspended every day) , but you should thoroughly investigate them and confirm their validity or otherwise and maybe suspend them during this process..that's what would probably happen now anyway. At the time I reckon the necessary procedures did not exist or were rather flimsy (to say the least)...not an excuse but a reason.

If anyone in authority at the club knew and didn't act or acted to hush it up they are as criminal as anyone involved in this.

And for Morse to talk about dragging the club's good name through the gutter is scandalous. As far as I'm concerned, the gutter is where Crewe's name deserves to be.

Very true the children affected by this are far more important than anyone's 'good name'

Archived