Paedophile coach at Crewe?

valeparklife

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Poor lad.He's been on Victoria Derbyshire this morning.Continually raped over a four year period.He wants the beast to be honest and accept what he did.I really don't think it's going to stop at this.Woodward has offered his services to help other victims of abuse.

What is most disturbing about the article is that it suggests Bennall's activities were known by others at the club but nothing was done. I see Crewe have declined to comment.

Shocking that it was allowed to go on when others did know what was happening under their noses. I thought the FA and the FL should have had an inquiry at the time.

What is most disturbing about the article is that it suggests Bennall's activities were known by others at the club but nothing was done. I see Crewe have declined to comment.

The academy at Crewe is such a huge part of the club's identity and business model that it cannot afford to have issues with trust and its reputation. If others at the club did know about it then it raises questions about whether the abuse was institutionalised, especially when Bennell was using the homes of club employees to abuse kids while they were out.

Those were my thoughts too. I suppose in a way it's like Jimmy Saville and some of the other historic cases that have come up, other people must have known what was going on at the time but either covered it up or turned a blind eye to it because the person was in a high profile position or perceived to be untouchable in their role. I'd imagine it would very difficult to bring any charges against anyone who 'just' 'turned a blind a eye' who was working at Crewe at the time so to speak especially for things that happened years ago, unless there was real evidence to suggest complaints were made and Crewe did nothing.

Or is it the case that Bennell perhaps wasn't the only one at Crewe or elsewhere who committed these acts which Woodward has also elluded to?

Still morally it's disgusting Crewe and perhaps other clubs allowed this to go on.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/nov/17/barry-bennell-two-former-players-reveal

Two former professional footballers have independently told the Guardian about another person within the sport who had links to the serial paedophile Barry Bennell and preyed on boys without ever being detected.

Both former players have come forward separately to name the same man, alleging they were abused in one-off incidents as well as being among the extensive list of victims from Bennell’s three decades as a coach and talent-spotter.

I'm not a "Crewe hater" and I'm not saying this to have a dig at them. I would be hugely concerned if this thing happened at any club and I include Vale in that.

However, I am really concerned with the way this is being treated locally. Not only is there no statement from Crewe (at the very least I would have thought they would have wanted to condemn the abuse and offer assurances it won't happen again) but the silence in the local press is also concerning. There's no mention of this story in the Crewe Chronicle and no mention in the Sentinel (at least on their websites anyhow). I would also bet (but I'm not in the area so can't say) it wasn't on Radio Stoke either.

Why is this? This brave bloke has waived anonynimity about awful criminal acts and it's major news in the nationals yet it's not covered locally anywhere. It's potentially local youngsters who could be past victims. It's therefore got huge local relevance. Are the local media too pally with Crewe because I can't think of any other reason why this shouldn't be in the local press?

I'm not a "Crewe hater" and I'm not saying this to have a dig at them. I would be hugely concerned if this thing happened at any club and I include Vale in that.

However, I am really concerned with the way this is being treated locally. Not only is there no statement from Crewe (at the very least I would have thought they would have wanted to condemn the abuse and offer assurances it won't happen again) but the silence in the local press is also concerning. There's no mention of this story in the Crewe Chronicle and no mention in the Sentinel (at least on their websites anyhow). I would also bet (but I'm not in the area so can't say) it wasn't on Radio Stoke either.

Why is this? This brave bloke has waived anonynimity about awful criminal acts and it's major news in the nationals yet it's not covered locally anywhere. It's potentially local youngsters who could be past victims. It's therefore got huge local relevance. Are the local media too pally with Crewe because I can't think of any other reason why this shouldn't be in the local press?

I hate to suggest it but did local media know (or have suspicions) at the time but said nothing and so are distancing themselves from it now by keeping schtum??

Archived