Paedophile coach at Crewe?

valeparklife

I think it was always rumoured at the time I remember my first trips to Gresty Road as an 7 or 8 year old(early 90s) and asking the old man what some of the chants the Vale fans were singing about Crewe meant(awkward parent moment!). I guess most of us just thought it was 'fan banter' at the time(as Crewe had seemingly forged a good academy system). But on a serious note there was obviously more too it! s

Like Rob says there could be any number of people affected who didn't make it as pro-footballer along with Woodward and 2 or 3 others who went on to have a some sort of pro career

Seriously Crewe could be on the end of an investigation moving forward, certainly if they covered stuff up or turned a blind eye to anything at the time!

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

However, I am really concerned with the way this is being treated locally. Not only is there no statement from Crewe (at the very least I would have thought they would have wanted to condemn the abuse and offer assurances it won't happen again) but the silence in the local press is also concerning. There's no mention of this story in the Crewe Chronicle and no mention in the Sentinel (at least on their websites anyhow). I would also bet (but I'm not in the area so can't say) it wasn't on Radio Stoke either.

It was mentioned on Radio Stoke on the sports news last night as I was driving home. Crewe had refused to comment so they interviewed Gordon Taylor from the PFA. He basically condemned it and gave the official lines around there is now more awareness, helplines etc etc. The only thing of interest was he mentioned that none of the development officers(from the PFA I assume?) at the time(late 80s, early 90s) who went to Crewe to talk to the academy players ever reported back anything. That could be for any number of reasons though, fear(as mentioned), lack of understanding around safeguarding and those sorts of issues at the time!

I'm not a "Crewe hater" and I'm not saying this to have a dig at them. I would be hugely concerned if this thing happened at any club and I include Vale in that.

However, I am really concerned with the way this is being treated locally. Not only is there no statement from Crewe (at the very least I would have thought they would have wanted to condemn the abuse and offer assurances it won't happen again) but the silence in the local press is also concerning. There's no mention of this story in the Crewe Chronicle and no mention in the Sentinel (at least on their websites anyhow). I would also bet (but I'm not in the area so can't say) it wasn't on Radio Stoke either.

Why is this? This brave bloke has waived anonynimity about awful criminal acts and it's major news in the nationals yet it's not covered locally anywhere. It's potentially local youngsters who could be past victims. It's therefore got huge local relevance. Are the local media too pally with Crewe because I can't think of any other reason why this shouldn't be in the local press?

If this was Vale, The Sentinel would have a 10 page spread on the story.

It was mentioned on Radio Stoke on the sports news last night as I was driving home. Crewe had refused to comment so they interviewed Gordon Taylor from the PFA. He basically condemned it and gave the official lines around there is now more awareness, helplines etc etc. The only thing of interest was he mentioned that none of the development officers(from the PFA I assume?) at the time(late 80s, early 90s) who went to Crewe to talk to the academy players ever reported back anything. That could be for any number of reasons though, fear(as mentioned), lack of understanding around safeguarding and those sorts of issues at the time!

That sounds familiar.....

Another interesting quote in yesterday's Guardian:

"But what of Crewe in all this? It isn’t easy to know because, quite simply, they have pulled the shutters down. I had been warned there was a “Crewe way” of dealing with the media and, sure enough, it has been a frustrating process. I did eventually manage to track down the club’s press officer, Rob Wilson, but there has been zero contact beyond that apart from a text saying he had mentioned it to the chairman, John Bowler, and there was nothing the club wanted to say."

No wonder McGarry never says anything negative!

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/nov/19/andy-woodward

"But what of Crewe in all this? It isn’t easy to know because, quite simply, they have pulled the shutters down. I had been warned there was a “Crewe way” of dealing with the media and, sure enough, it has been a frustrating process. I did eventually manage to track down the club’s press officer, Rob Wilson, but there has been zero contact beyond that apart from a text saying he had mentioned it to the chairman, John Bowler, and there was nothing the club wanted to say."

Saying nothing is almost an admission that there is something which they don't want to say.

I've often wondered how McGarry stays in that gig year on year....he's basically Arrselicker-in-residence and his questions to Crewe's manager and players are laughable.

Radio Stoke's manager must hear the drivel he comes out with, so why does he keep the job?

Something at Crewe and maybe Radio Stoke is starting to smell very bad about this.

I've often wondered how McGarry stays in that gig year on year....he's basically Arrselicker-in-residence and his questions to Crewe's manager and players are laughable.

Radio Stoke's manager must hear the drivel he comes out with, so why does he keep the job?

Something at Crewe and maybe Radio Stoke is starting to smell very bad about this.

Crewe certainly. We now know a little more about the "Crewe Way".

Indeed it is. What was actually done by Crewe at the time of Bennell's arrest and conviction? Was an investigation held by the club? If not, why not? I see Gradi says "It was a long time ago and for all intents and purposes it was dealt with at the time.” How was it dealt with? Does he mean by the Courts? How was it dealt with in the club? Saying it was a long time ago is irrelevant - is there a statute of limitation on child sexual abuse that I wasn't aware of? This whole affair stinks to high heaven yet the local media are largely ignoring it.

Archived