onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Matchday thread: Port Vale v Gillingham

robf

Advert

It's a pleasure reading so many positives after such a great come back. It seems that we can expect a fair few teams to come to Vale Park with a game plan to (a) catch us cold before we can really get going and (b) kick lumps out of us in the hopes that the ref (just like today) will be too weak to put a stop to it. Credit to Bruno and the lads though for such a terrific fight back. It's nice to have a manager who can turn the game round with such an effective use of the subs.

It's also good to keep looking at the table and seeing us sitting in fifth place, especially as we've already played three of the four teams above us. Not many teams will look forward to coming to Vale Park this season and we just need to start winning away from home to really put in a promotion challenge. Happy days :smile:

First half, slow pace, with yawning gaps between the back six, two wide men and Paterson, with Foley trying to fill the gap.

After the substitutions, we had players running at their defence from all directions.

Incredible pressure that brought its just rewards.

Paterson had a thankless task.

I think Tavares is a very talented player, but, in my view not suited to playing alongside Grant.

Amazing last 25 minutes and a deserved win, which looked unlikely before the changes.

Very appy indeed

Told to stop by who? You? Chill out kidder, this is a forum, I have my opinion, you have yours. I would never tell another poster to stop posting, its not my place to, why do you think you can? Anyway back to the match great result, super performance from all players involved.

I told you to stop posting supercillious replies to MY posts, if I'm mistaken I'm telling you now.

It is a forum and sometimes people have a different opinion, accept it as I've told you before.

Excellent second half performance and superb result.

First half, slow pace, with yawning gaps between the back six, two wide men and Paterson, with Foley trying to fill the gap.

After the substitutions, we had players running at their defence from all directions.

Incredible pressure that brought its just rewards.

Paterson had a thankless task.

I think Tavares is a very talented player, but, in my view not suited to playing alongside Grant.

Amazing last 25 minutes and a deserved win, which looked unlikely before the changes.

Very appt indeed

When we were at Bury Tavares and Grant both missing and we had no resilience in front of the back 4. That was one of a number of problems. So I like Tavares and Grant and because Tavares can tackle Grant can get forward more on occasions.

Our second half display was superb for the full 45 minutes. We played with width, desire and a tempo that we hadn't had in the first half.

Personally, I didn't think some of the lads were at their best today - notably Purkiss (who is yet to recapture last season's form), Tavares, Foley, Paterson & Thomas (who was getting fouled a lot but whose crossing was poor). Nonetheless, no-one hid and they all put in a massive shift.

Smith and Streete were both excellent. How does Smith win so many high balls? Grant was excellent (overall), and Jones played well in the second half when he was more central and he used his running power off the ball to unsettle them.

Cecilia did well for the brief time he was on the pitch.

And we've still got the likes of De Freitas, Forrester and Amoros in reserve.

A very good win today against a physical and 'dirty' team at times, who broke up the play deliberately and wasted time at every opportunity. They were oh so lucky to finish with 11 men on the pitch. I'm delighted they got their just desserts.

A very entertaining second 45 minutes - with special mention for Knell Knops for staying behind and talking to the fans on the railways side. I'm sure he made some youngsters' very happy. Great stuff from him.

totally agree- first half crossing v.poor - everytime time we got in the last 3rd ball came back (Patterson had a chance to run at their goal but it turned ended up in our penalty area) -purkiss no overlapping or support to front players---2nd half wow completely over shadowed the first half flaws movement,pace and tempo upped- the change in formation made a massive difference- the squad is still learning and adapting but showed great courage and resilience and calmness -well done all and as said knopps was brilliant signing autographs etc at the end and having selfies shows these players care and are with us

Second game running where the opposition manager claims the crowd intimidated the ref.

Well done us. Keep up the good work!

Edinburgh has got a cheek though.

Hypocritical is an understatement.

Unbelievable comments. Especially when you see this

http://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/port-vale-jerome-thomas-posts-pic-of-bruises-after-gillingham-win/story-29725543-detail/story.html

I've just seen a picture of Thomas's leg after the match. What a mess! Gashed and bruised. When are decent players who have skill and speed going to be protected from persistent foul play?

Today's referee should hang his head in shame.

Now I know it's a physical sport and accidents do and will happen.

The consistent deliberate type of play demonstrated today must be stopped.

They were fortunate that they didn't have anyone red carded - and possibly two - because both their black lads down the right were fouling continually. A stronger ref would have sent off one of them before half time. The right back (I think it was) committed 4-5 fouls in the first 15 minutes alone!

Their manager knew they were skating on thin ice and took off the full back at half time before he got sent off for persistent fouling.

Edinburgh and sour grapes methinks. He needs to get a grip on his dirty players (4 yellows today) and stop whining and blaming other people for the loss. You got what you and your thuggish team deserved! But for your 'keeper you would have lost by 2-3 goals.

Be interesting to see how Gills approach this one. Last year they struggled against Andoh's pace and hacked him down at every opportunity. Oshilajah (sp?) I think was the worst offender. Six yellows I think they got.

Yeah. They did exactly what they did last year. That lad had to be subbed at half time before he got sent off.

They were fortunate that they didn't have anyone red carded - and possibly two - because both their black lads down the right were fouling continually. A stronger ref would have sent off one of them before half time. The right back (I think it was) committed 4-5 fouls in the first 15 minutes alone!

Their manager knew they were skating on thin ice and took off the full back at half time before he got sent off for persistent fouling.

Edinburgh and sour grapes methinks. He needs to get a grip on his dirty players (4 yellows today) and stop whining and blaming other people for the loss. You got what you and your thuggish team deserved! But for your 'keeper you would have lost by 2-3 goals.

I don't think for a single second that he will get a grip on his players for the simple reason that they are almost certainly instructed to play that way. Endinburgh is typical of his kind - Evans et al - who come out and make pathetic excuses for a cynical approach and it is never their fault it is always the fault of someone else. He should just admit that they couldn't live with us in the 2nd half.

End of rant and I loved the way we played after half time.

Thoroughly enjoyed that in the end! We were pants in the first half, playing with no tempo and constantly playing the ball back and sideways. I think some of the criticism of Paterson is a bit harsh because for the whole of the first half he rarely had another Vale player within 20 yards of him. We looked so much better when we went to 4-4-2 and the strikers were able to support each other.

I know Nathan Smith is getting a lot of headlines at the moment and rightly so, but Remie Streete has been a rock beside him and deserves just as much praise. It was great that we brought on sub who was old enough to have fathered both of them - and no, I'm not starting a vicious rumour Mrs Brown!!

Archived